Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Now go get S depth in Hooker and make 1 more run at a ring.

I would still love Hooker, but I think this signing is the realization that its not happening. Guys visit and they don't let them leave without signing. Trai Turner is a special case that had more to do with Decastro than anything. 

I just hope this doesn't come at the expense of Highsmith. I just don't want to see him regulated to 30-40% snaps of a backup. He showed a lot last year. Ingram can even be the..."starter"... but I would like to see Highsmith end with the bulk of snaps. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I would still love Hooker, but I think this signing is the realization that its not happening. Guys visit and they don't let them leave without signing. Trai Turner is a special case that had more to do with Decastro than anything. 

I just hope this doesn't come at the expense of Highsmith. I just don't want to see him regulated to 30-40% snaps of a backup. He showed a lot last year. Ingram can even be the..."starter"... but I would like to see Highsmith end with the bulk of snaps. 

I think we’ll see a big good rotation between the two. Keep them both from wearing down by the end. I think it’ll probably be beneficial to Highsmith’s develop too. Give him a chance to see another vet prepare, let him work on the craft, then step into a full time role opposite Watt the next year. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Yea I think Ingram is just vet/rotation guy.

Probsbly wishful thinking on Hooker but I’ve been seeing some smoke  on Twitter on Nelson coming back?...probably nothing 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we’ll see a big good rotation between the two. Keep them both from wearing down by the end. I think it’ll probably be beneficial to Highsmith’s develop too. Give him a chance to see another vet prepare, let him work on the craft, then step into a full time role opposite Watt the next year. 

Agreed with this, Highsmith clearly has the talent to play but he’s still young and growing, not sure how his body would hold up for 17 games plus a potential playoff run playing something similar to TJ’s snap count. Great thing about Ingram and why I was so high on signing him is they can play him all over. He will sub in for TJ and they can play him inside a bit as well. You can never have too many veterans like him in the locker room. He seemed like a really good dude on Hard Knocks last year as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we’ll see a big good rotation between the two.

I agree. That's just the piece we don't have a ton of information on. I hope its been more about the lack of options than the desire to ride their horses. Looking at Watt and Dupree's snap counts -- they rarely came off the field. I'd like to keep them all a little more fresh, but we don't have much data that suggests they like rotations. I just don't want it to be a Tomlin Bell Cow type situation. 

2016 is the last year anyone breaks 30% as a backup without injury. That was Harrison at 38, the year Jarvis lost his role, and when Dupree started the year hurt. 

6 minutes ago, AFF said:

Probsbly wishful thinking on Hooker but I’ve been seeing some smoke  on Twitter on Nelson coming back?...probably nothing 

IMO they are invested in seeing Cam Sutton play on the outside. They know he can play inside in that hybrid role, but we are better off in the long run if he can be a viable starting outside corner, especially with Hadens age and pending FA. 

I would love it if Nelson came back and would be really happy with Hooker. I just don't see either happening at this point. 

and we just lost 1 of our 2 analytical staff members…

I don’t know man. This partly disgusts me that in 2021, in a sports landscape dominated by analytics and more analytical thinking, that we have 1 staff member dedicated to its study. 

Im someone who doesn’t believe you need to fully adopt to analytics, but it needs to play a part. I think we get our butts kicked each week analytical and having one staff member is probably a good indicator as to why. 

There’s no salary cap to coaching or front office staff and it baffles me that a team so dedicated to winning is at the bottom in terms of head count on both of those lists. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

and we just lost 1 of our 2 analytical staff members…

I don’t know man. This partly disgusts me that in 2021, in a sports landscape dominated by analytics and more analytical thinking, that we have 1 staff member dedicated to its study. 

Im someone who doesn’t believe you need to fully adopt to analytics, but it needs to play a part. I think we get our butts kicked each week analytical and having one staff member is probably a good indicator as to why. 

There’s no salary cap to coaching or front office staff and it baffles me that a team so dedicated to winning is at the bottom in terms of head count on both of those lists. 

FWIW we lost 2 in the last two years, we’re actually one of the first teams with this department, and quietly it’s regularly poached. 

Edit:

Wanted to add on staffing size, I was able to talk to someone in the know, and gave me an interesting answer as feedback. 

They have an organizational philosophy that a smaller decision making team means better decision making. Sometimes when you see the teams with the biggest departments they can be the ones that struggle with bad picks because everyone wants a say. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1