Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

8 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't even know how there could be a question as to which player is most important to re-sign. Dupree has become a blue chip player. Juju is an 800 yard a year receiver who looks less and less explosive every year.

I was thinking most people consider Hilton the most important(I don’t obviously)

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I was thinking most people consider Hilton the most important(I don’t obviously)

Hilton is easier to replace. I don't know if people tend to view him as the most important, but I'd easily pick Bud. I put Sutton ahead of Hilton, personally. Give me the better cover guy who can also play outside if needed.

If we are talking in a talent vacuum, yes, Bud would be the most important. But when you combine everything else - especially cost vs replacement, Buds probably last on the list. 

Highsmith played extremely well, is going into year 2, and will cost at a minimum about $12M less. 

I think Hilton and Sutton have to be 1a and 1b, to me in that order though as Hilton impacts every level of the game and Sutton is more just coverage. 

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

If we are talking in a talent vacuum, yes, Bud would be the most important. But when you combine everything else - especially cost vs replacement, Buds probably last on the list. 

Highsmith played extremely well, is going into year 2, and will cost at a minimum about $12M less. 

I think Hilton and Sutton have to be 1a and 1b, to me in that order though as Hilton impacts every level of the game and Sutton is more just coverage. 

The whole defense seemed to suffer after losing Bud.

Im aware of the higher $$$...and it’s also nothing against Highsmith but I think Bud is just that good.

It’s a damned if you/damned if you don’t type of thing.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

The whole defense seemed to suffer after losing Bud.

I dont disagree, but at the end of the year we were without Bush and Bud as well as missing time from Haden, Sutton, Spillane, Williams, Tuitt, Edmunds, etc. We played Marcus Allen at ILB. We missed Bud for sure, especially in run defense, but leave the team as is right now and Highsmith is way down the list of concerns. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Im aware of the higher $$$...and it’s also nothing against Highsmith but I think Bud is just that good.

It’s a damned if you/damned if you don’t type of thing.

I really enjoyed Bud, but I think you are damned if you spend $12M on a position you have already replaced. Bud isn't worth losing both Sutton and Hilton or stunting Highsmith's growth at this point. We don't have the cash for that luxury. 

I'd rather take the minor hit at ROLB and hope Highsmith continues to skyrocket rather than take the risk of completely changing over Sutton/Hilton when there are no bullets left in that DB gun. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope it is an alteration and not an extension. 

Probably add on 1 year taking $15 mill signing bonus and spreading it over 2 years with a little new $$$

Hes only owed $4 mill in base salary...vet min is a tad over $1 mill IIRC.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

Probably add on 1 year taking $15 mill signing bonus and spreading it over 2 years with a little new $$$

Hes only owed $4 mill in base salary...vet min is a tad over $1 mill IIRC.

I'm a real math dunce. Especially contract math. How much would that lower his hit this year? Also, what would he cost the year after?