Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

Probably add on 1 year taking $15 mill signing bonus and spreading it over 2 years with a little new $$$

Hes only owed $4 mill in base salary...vet min is a tad over $1 mill IIRC.

Well the best they could do with this is a 2 year deal, convert only a couple million to bonus, spread it of say totaling $30 mil over 3 years, keep his bad at $8mil this year and add $4mil in new money making his cap hits $20, $12, $12. The $22mil in dead money on this year has to be paid whether it’s all this year or spread over 2. 

Id push for just a pay cut if I’m the Steelers. Cap him at a $30 mil cap hit and if he wants to keep coming back make a handshake agreement of a 1/$20-25mil deal being on the table. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm a real math dunce. Especially contract math. How much would that lower his hit this year? Also, what would he cost the year after?

It would lower it $11mil, but adding only 1 year doesn’t do much more than making him a June 1 cut. 

Basically if we don’t want too much dead money we got to do a two year extension. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

I wonder how a pay cut would play with the people accusing him of coming back out of greed/just for a pay day.

Lets see if it happens,and how much he cuts it down.

I'll certainly give him credit if he cuts it down enough to keep a key player, even if its Juju (who Id still prefer to let walk).

I find the arguments for and against Bens “greed” equally dumb. 

I can’t wait for everyone’s reaction to it when he just takes the same money spread out over a few more years and no one knows how to complain about it (like ben getting “$19m” this year)

34 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I find the arguments for and against Bens “greed” equally dumb. 

I can’t wait for everyone’s reaction to it when he just takes the same money spread out over a few more years and no one knows how to complain about it (like ben getting “$19m” this year)

Whats dumb about it?

The guy is due to get $41m yet clearly doesn't have it anymore, and his pricetag is clearly a major roadblock right now. Id prefer he just retire, but if he insists in staying , he better take a pretty sizable paycut.    

If he takes a major paycut this year and then makes it possible to move on from him next year, I dont care if he gets extended.   If they offer him any new guaranteed money....I wouldnt be happy. 

The entire argument about Ben being greedy revolves around that huge cap hit this year, despite being nowhere near worth that.  If he reduces that number a good bit, Ill actually be convinced he isnt coming back for money.

I'll believe it when I see it.

9 minutes ago, 43M said:

Whats dumb about it?

Some of you are arguing he is making $19m (his cash amount) some of you are arguing his cap number ($41m). None of these things are what he signed for. All of these things are able to be manipulated. When they are, once again, manipulated - some of you will argue it’s not enough, some will argue he’s a saint. 

Its dumb.

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

The entire argument about Ben being greedy revolves around that huge cap hit this year

That’s also not his actual money or his fault that the cap hit is higher. He signed up for going rate, $34m per, and the Steelers made a move to get more space which in return changed Bens cap number. It’s not his worth, it’s not his salary, it’s not anything. It’s a made up number thats monopoly fake and oh by the way going to be manipulated again because it’s fake to fit what they need to do. 

I could care less if they added $50m over 10 years just for the fun of it...they will manipulate that too....because It’s fake.

Dude got going rate for his career. God bless him. If he takes even $1 less that’s huge in my eyes....because he sure as hell doesn’t have to do it. 

Ben cost this much because he kept restructuring and pushing his contract out.  There is no getting around the 22M that they owe him for 2021.  That is guaranteed money and the CBA says he gets it.

Below was posted by someone else looking into the Steeler cap situation on another board.  I think it is about as good as they are going to get.

Ben has a roster bonus of $15 million due in March and a base salary of $4 million. They could take that roster bonus and all but $1.075 million of his base and pay it out as a signing bonus and spread out the hit over two years if they added a dummy extension year. That could free up almost $9 million.

I also bet the Cap will be higher than the $180M that is bandied about now. The  NFL will likely make some special rules for 2021... like maybe allowing teams to borrow a certain amount from future year's cap.

Edited by jebrick

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Ben cost this much because he kept restructuring and pushing his contract out.  There is no getting around the 22M that they owe him for 2021.  That is guaranteed money and the CBA says he gets it.

Below was posted by someone else looking into the Steeler cap situation on another board.  I think it is about as good as they are going to get.

I also bet the Cap will be higher than the $180M that is bandied about now. The  NFL will likely make some special rules for 2021... like maybe allowing teams to borrow a certain amount from future year's cap.

Not to nitpick but Ben technically has all the money. 

Cap hit:

$41mil

Cash Flow:

$22mil (dead money paid from restructures)

$15mil Roster Bonus by the 3rd day of the league year

$4mil Base Salary

Ben is going to impact the cap a minimum of $22mil this year in the dead money that can’t be moved. 

So if you add one year, the deal has to be at least $1.125million (vet min). The. You take all but that amount from 2021 and convert it to a signing bonus, the cap hit gets prorated over the length on the contract. Yes it saves $9mil this year but it creates another dead cap hit next year too. 

Going this route the best is a hand Shake agreement between the two sides:

A two year extension at the league minimum. Convert $17.5 mil of the 2021 salary to signing bonus and it creates a signing bonus proration of $5.8mil. If he retires after the 2021 season (here’s where the handshake agreement and cap manipulation comes in) he can delay signing the paperwork and designate him a post-June 1st cut keeping the dead money at $5.8 for 2022 and 2023. 

Longish story short here:

Bens gonna get the $19mil he’s signed up for this year, it’s just a matter of how he gets it. But Ben will play it like he gave up money. 

And with Rooney's remarks on the Browns loss, I'm left wondering why I'm even bothering with 2021. For those who aren't following, he actually said that the team was prepared for the game and it's not like they came out flat or something.

In a game where they were down 28 by the end of the first quarter. What would being unprepared have looked like to Art, would be my question?

• Like 1