Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

28 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I really wanted to see our defense play the Chiefs this year (before the knees blew up).  I wasn’t going to predict we would win, but I actually liked the matchup. 

Hot take: I don’t think either of these teams make it back to the super bowl next year. 

TB looks like is just hitting its stride, but they might lose a little chemistry with all the free agents they have

KC has been playing with fire all yr and it finally blew up in their face in the SB. They have some issues that needs to get addressed this offseason. I think both will be contenders, but I won't be shocked if they get bounced early next yr.

annoying seeing brady and AB win, but I like Arians and his coaching staff has a bunch of former steelers on it. Byron, Randle El, Foote and Moore(OG steelers OC from the 80s) so I'm happy for them.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, August4th said:

TB looks like is just hitting its stride, but they might lose a little chemistry with all the free agents they have

KC has been playing with fire all yr and it finally blew up in their face in the SB. They have some issues that needs to get addressed this offseason. I think both will be contenders, but I won't be shocked if they get bounced early next yr.

Super Bowl hangovers are (usually) very real. I say usually because Bellichick and Brady were perfect together to beat it. But for TB, it's more a gut call to me. I dont see Arians as the guy that will keep everyone focused and on track. I can see that young defense slipping based off this years success. I think Tom is the guy that needs to hold everyone together and accountable. They also have a lot of interesting FA moves, but they do have some room to work with. But Barrett, David, and Godwin sure wont be cheap. And then you have guys like AB, Suh, and Gronk who also shouldnt be cheap, a one year deal in Gronks case would eat up the cap space and the volatility of AB should concern anyone over his long term prospects. 

KC...I simply do not like their roster. I think they are held together by the glue of Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill (which is pretty damn good glue). They play like the long gone Big Ben, so much stuff happens well after the schedule breaks down (starting to wonder if thats Bienimey's hiring issue?). Their defense is not good, but Clark, Jones, and Mathieu are 3 of their top 5 cap hits, all ringing in around $20M. They are over the cap with three of their starting OL set to be FAs, their starting LT is their 6th highest cap hit in the last year of his deal coming off a torn achilles in the AFC Champ game which makes it hard to resign long term to lessen the blow of his cap, and they currently have 2 NFL receivers on their roster (one of which is Mecole Hardman). I think they have their work cut out for them...but they still have Pat Mahomes. I wouldnt be super surprised to see guys like Eric Fisher or Tyrann Mathieu cut though. 

11 hours ago, August4th said:

annoying seeing brady and AB win, but I like Arians and his coaching staff has a bunch of former steelers on it. Byron, Randle El, Foote and Moore(OG steelers OC from the 80s) so I'm happy for them.

Double quoting you, August, but I was so much happier to see AB get a ring and earn it over Bell getting it while sitting on the bench. 

I still like Bell, but him putting "All-Pro, SB Champ RB" in all his bios? Nah dude. 

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Super Bowl hangovers are (usually) very real. I say usually because Bellichick and Brady were perfect together to beat it. But for TB, it's more a gut call to me. I dont see Arians as the guy that will keep everyone focused and on track. I can see that young defense slipping based off this years success. I think Tom is the guy that needs to hold everyone together and accountable. They also have a lot of interesting FA moves, but they do have some room to work with. But Barrett, David, and Godwin sure wont be cheap. And then you have guys like AB, Suh, and Gronk who also shouldnt be cheap, a one year deal in Gronks case would eat up the cap space and the volatility of AB should concern anyone over his long term prospects. 

KC...I simply do not like their roster. I think they are held together by the glue of Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill (which is pretty damn good glue). They play like the long gone Big Ben, so much stuff happens well after the schedule breaks down (starting to wonder if thats Bienimey's hiring issue?). Their defense is not good, but Clark, Jones, and Mathieu are 3 of their top 5 cap hits, all ringing in around $20M. They are over the cap with three of their starting OL set to be FAs, their starting LT is their 6th highest cap hit in the last year of his deal coming off a torn achilles in the AFC Champ game which makes it hard to resign long term to lessen the blow of his cap, and they currently have 2 NFL receivers on their roster (one of which is Mecole Hardman). I think they have their work cut out for them...but they still have Pat Mahomes. I wouldnt be super surprised to see guys like Eric Fisher or Tyrann Mathieu cut though. 

They’ll restructure Clark’s abs Mahomes deals for sure...Fischer I’m guessing cut too but they gotta redo that OL immediately...Tardiff will be returning which will help.

Defense needs a lot of work too but like you said Jones/Clark/Honey Badger $20 mill cap hits each...phew.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, AFF said:

They’ll restructure Clark’s abs Mahomes deals for sure...Fischer I’m guessing cut too but they gotta redo that OL immediately...Tardiff will be returning which will help.

Defense needs a lot of work too but like you said Jones/Clark/Honey Badger $20 mill cap hits each...phew.

Im sure they are not as bad off as it seems, Mahomes deals will start getting super heafty if they restructure him. He is extremely affordable at $24M next year, but after that its 31, 42, 39, 41, 41, 59, 44, 44, 50, 52. I don't know how much I would want to mess with his number yet. 

Personally, I would be trying to get out of Frank Clarks deal rather than restructuring. He has not lived up to that trade. He hasn't been bad, but that's a high cap hit and they lost a 1st and 2nd for him to be alright. 

I wasnt so sure about Tardiff, partly because I thought he might still stay out of football helping to fight covid. Great piece to have back though. 

....welcome to the Chiefs forum? I should move this to Not Steelers talk if we wanna keep talking random football (which I do!). 

44 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Double quoting you, August, but I was so much happier to see AB get a ring and earn it over Bell getting it while sitting on the bench. 

I still like Bell, but him putting "All-Pro, SB Champ RB" in all his bios? Nah dude. 

Bell is going out sad, man. Did not get on the field once yesterday. if he did signed that new deal with us in 2018, we would be talking about him as a cut candidate right now. Dude is washed and will probably be out of the NFL after next yr(won't be shocked if last night was his last game tbh). AB getting ring should help his HOF case. I'm all for more steelers getting in and I want to hear the AB HOF speach 🙋‍♂️

if some reason tomlin and the steelers part ways after next season. I think Byron and Todd Bowles could get real looks here for the Job. Bowles would have a field day calling plays with Watt, Bush, Minka at his disposal

11 minutes ago, August4th said:

if some reason tomlin and the steelers part ways after next season. I think Byron and Todd Bowles could get real looks here for the Job. Bowles would have a field day calling plays with Watt, Bush, Minka at his disposal

It would take a major change in the Rooney family style for hiring coaches.  Since and including Noll, they go with young DC.

I will be completely honest,  To me Yes is annoying then Antonio Brown got a Super Bowl right there is not a less deserving person. Yes is annoying then Antonio Brown got a Super Bowl right there is not a less deserving person As far as Tom Brady he is the greatest NFL player in history and there will never be a player to match or beat what he has done with 7 Super Bowl victories. Buy more than that what annoys me is that the Pittsburgh Steelers keep holding on to hope that Ben  will pull his head out of his rectum and stop throwing interceptions in the postseason. The fact of the matter is as long as bedrocan's Burger is here this team is done winning super bowls. With a better quarterback we potentially could have made a serious run for the Super Bowl instead we the lossed the majority of our final games. I am thankful for all of the things the Benhas done for us in for this team don't get me wrong but it is time for him to hang it up

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I will be completely honest,  To me Yes is annoying then Antonio Brown got a Super Bowl right there is not a less deserving person. Yes is annoying then Antonio Brown got a Super Bowl right there is not a less deserving person As far as Tom Brady he is the greatest NFL player in history and there will never be a player to match or beat what he has done with 7 Super Bowl victories. Buy more than that what annoys me is that the Pittsburgh Steelers keep holding on to hope that Ben  will pull his head out of his rectum and stop throwing interceptions in the postseason. The fact of the matter is as long as bedrocan's Burger is here this team is done winning super bowls. With a better quarterback we potentially could have made a serious run for the Super Bowl instead we the lossed the majority of our final games. I am thankful for all of the things the Benhas done for us in for this team don't get me wrong but it is time for him to hang it up

I've honestly lost all confidence in Ben during the postseason. its just no way he'll have 3-4 straight decent games for us to win the SB. He's too turnover prone

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, August4th said:

I like the QB coach hire. He has a lot of experience and seems well respected.

I really wanted a young, former pro to be the QB coach, but the more I think about it the more I like Sullivan. We are clearly in post-Ben QB coach territory so they got someone with a ton of experience to help grow the next guy. I like it. 

The one I am actually most excited about - which is weird because I had no clue who he was - is Tomsho and this is why:

• Analyzed opponent defensive schemes versus specific offensive formations and personnel groupings, especially focusing on defensive coverage schemes

That's actually from his linkedin page from his time at LSU as an Offensive Analyst. Honestly, his entire work experience screams good hire based on what I think the offense lacked under Fichtner. 

The things that stood out to me on what Im excited about bringing his experience here (other than having worked with Canada):

• Each game week I formulated weekly “hit-chart” of offensive game plan and distributed the information to offensive coaching staff.

• Implemented personal pass game play thoughts into weekly game plan, and contributed to final play selection based on the specific pass game attacks desired for each week

• Identified coverages during game situations and assisted with offensive in-game adjustments

• Analyzed opponent defensive schemes versus specific offensive formations and personnel groups

• Created weekly offensive game plan and scripted offensive practice schedules

Now, I am sure we had some level of this already on the team, but this is a specific hire and I really like his background. 

All the coached, everything I figured out, I draw one conclusion:

When Ben retires Tomlin wants to run a spread version of the RPO.  Think like what Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson do.

Just a feeling but if the Steelers go sign an outside FA...it’s gonna be at TE.

Now if they don’t sign a vet before the draft, I’ll be amazed if they don’t use a top 3 round pick on one.

Just my .02