Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

All the coached, everything I figured out, I draw one conclusion:

When Ben retires Tomlin wants to run a spread version of the RPO.  Think like what Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson do.

how would you feel about them trading up for Lance to run a offense like that?

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Donald Glover Waiting GIF

Me this whole week until they say something about Ben's meeting with the Steelers.....

I'm expecting them to announce a pay cut and him coming back in 2021. but man, if its a release or retirement. it would be one of biggest offseason days in steelers history.

Edited by August4th
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

I'm expecting them to announce a payout and him coming back in 2021. but man, if its a release or retirement. it would be one of biggest offseason days in steelers history.

No matter what 2021 would look like I'd be ecstatic if Ben and Maurkice retired this offseason but I expect both to return 

I wish that someone who knows more than me could study last years offense and determine how much of the blame was on Ben, versus how much was poor line play. Our interior wasn’t very good, and I’d like to see how much of that was the cause. Feiler didn’t seem good at all. That really could have affected the offense. I’m not trying to be a Ben apologist, but I’d like to know how much better we would realistically be with Ben and an improved line next year. 

Ben threw INTs at critical times.  But in the end it is a team game.  WR pooped on him in the Buffalo game.  Defense did not help in the Browns playoff game.

Run game was al on the plays and play calling but the Oline, whether though technique or training, looked like they were pushing a wall.  Very few of them got movement.  If you can't move or turn a DL then the run game is mostly toast.

46 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wish that someone who knows more than me could study last years offense and determine how much of the blame was on Ben, versus how much was poor line play. Our interior wasn’t very good, and I’d like to see how much of that was the cause. Feiler didn’t seem good at all. That really could have affected the offense. I’m not trying to be a Ben apologist, but I’d like to know how much better we would realistically be with Ben and an improved line next year. 

My number 1 issue with the offense was just simply the X's and O's. I have a block of text to write about the whole offense, but Ill keep it as simple as I can.

1) X's and O's
2) Positional philosophy and teaching
3) OL
4) QB, the player
5) WR issues

The top two items you really hope are fixed with the new coaching staff. Canada is an outside hire that's been here 1 year. I don't foresee continuity being a problem with the game calling. No idea what to expect with the OL coach. Not excited that he was the assistant. But...well...that's all I got, which isnt much. 

In terms of Ben (and doing my best to avoid the wall of text) no, he isn't a big problem from a player on the field standpoint. People throwing out the "his arm is dead" need to go back and re-watch the games. Im not trying to sell anyone on him being top 15 or die on a hill of "ben is good", but physically he isn't a problem. No, he doesn't have the same laser he used to but making the physical throws he still has a lot to offer. This isnt Drew Brees or Philip Rivers who were never a physical marvel, dropping down a level from weak to just NFL gross. Ben is a guy who had a big arm going to less of a big arm. He didnt hit the Manning Cliff, he is steadily declining. He had 2 throws against the Colts 45+ air yards on the money with the right trajectory. He has plenty of throws outside the numbers on the year. Accuracy and arm strength are not the same. He is losing the one most damaged by lack of repetition and mechanics. I can buy his legs wearing down, damaging the mechanics...but his arm is still there, or at least there enough to compete efficiently enough in the NFL. 

Now, I say QB the player, because I (along with a lot of others I believe) think that Ben has his hand in 1 and 2 as well as 4. Our X's and O's were god awful, and after teams just basically stole our playbook... we had no counter. That's the dead portion of the season from week 11 on. Ben was on pace for 67%, 4,000, 38/8 before that point. When rookie Chase Young is calling you out? You are in a bad spot. We had no counter to teams running our plays for us. From DE's just dropping off because of our formation tells, to CB's leaving their man to jump another receivers routes by tendency, to DL giving up their rush to get their hands up. We had no answers. That's problem #1 and its by a wide, wide margin. 

Point 2 is about how we treated the run game, mostly. We had our offensive line play 100% in a 2 point stance and were happy to ignore the run outside of situational football because "we use the passing game as the running game". Offensive lineman constantly in a leverage disadvantage and our philosophy continually moving backwards, not forwards. Wanna understand your long term issues? It starts at the core. This was our core. We also beat our head off the wall pulling Feiler who sucked at it vs using Decastro who excels there. We made a lot of strange decisions on the Oline and the planning/philosophy behind what we did. We also played a very Un-Ben Roethlisberger style. He isnt a 3, hitch and tear drop down field thrower like Drew Brees....so when we fail trying to have that be our deep threat in a short throwing offense should we be surprised? No. It also doesn't mean Ben CANT throw downfield, as I mentioned before. 

The Oline was an issue. The health of Decastro, the poor play of Feiler, Pouncey and Villy on the decline, losing Banner. Just not great. More concerned with point 2 for them then I actually am about the Talent, but it needs addressed. 

I actually had a very hard time putting the receivers below the QB. Re-watching the games.....man, the drops just sucked. Against Washington Ben has a very Ben like play. Shook a DE hand off his shoulder, stepped up in the pocket, threw a strike on the run on 3rd and 15 for a 17 yard gain.....that JuJu dropped wide open. We dropped 6% of our pass attempts and lead the league. You are not going to be any sort of high quality offensive like that. 

End of the day, the offense hit its wall against the Ravens in week 12, because there was no counter. Up until that point we were fine. Flawed, but fine. After teams understood our gameplan better than we did it all fell to hell. It became a mental issue, it became a physically draining one. Everything collapsed. The good news, at least from my view, is that #1 and #2 are being addressed. Then in the draft I believe we address #3. Im not signing up for 2 more years of Ben, but I do not think the player was near the top of the hit list of issues. Dude does need some yoga in his life though...

In McShay’s latest mock he had us taking Christian Darrisaw at 24. If he fell, I could see him alleviating a lot of the issues of our offense. Darrisaw - Dotson - Pouncey(hopefully with Trey Hill as his backup)- Decastro - Banner. That’s a devastating line. We could really get some movement up front with those guys in there. I bet last year’s backfield would get talked about in a much different tone if they were running behind that line. 

16 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If we are gonna trade within the division I wish we would inquire about Orlando Brown Jr. For our LT position

I’m not in love with him. He still struggles in pass blocking even though he’s a damn good run blocker.