Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

Just now, warfelg said:

He does a lot with charities and foundations to support local police.  I can see him and Ben basically having little to do with football in the future and focusing on doing things to help officers and aid in community outreach.

I expect Ben to go ghost when he retires. probably get some "ben like" quotes on the team to the media every few yrs, but that will be about it

Just now, August4th said:

I expect Ben to go ghost when he retires. probably get some "ben like" quotes on the team to the media every few yrs, but that will be about it

I feel like he's one of those that as his kids are growing up he ghosts football, coaches his kids youth teams, aids with their high school teams, and in his early 50's decides to try to jump in as a QB coach then OC in the NFL.

44 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

I think this is incorrect, at least according to Steelers Depot. They stated this would save them 8 million on their cap. In which case, I'd be happy to see him retire. 

8 mill is his salary but they still owe him the 6.5M in guarantees.  Hence, 1.5M in savings.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/maurkice-pouncey-6527/ 

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

8 mill is his salary but they still owe him the 6.5M in guarantees.  Hence, 1.5M in savings.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/maurkice-pouncey-6527/ 

You're not really reading that right.  He's about a $14.5mil cap hit.  Base salary of $8mil.  That's where the savings of $8mil comes from.  Prorated $3mil signing bonus doesn't go away and the $3.45mil restructured bonus doesn't go away either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, August4th said:

so any solid Center prospects in this draft?

I think so. Creed Humphrey from OU, good kid from tOSU, and an absolute behemoth from Bama, Dickenson. He’s been injured a lot unfortunately. There’s also a kid from Georgia, Hill. He may be the best of all of them. There are some real big, talented centers in this draft. Good, deep, class of OTs too. I think the ILB class is special as well. Those are really the only positions I’ve looked at so far.

Anyone remember Chase Young saying they saw something on tape that allowed them to better jump routes and tip passes? I think I figured it out. Look at Bens ball height on drop backs for passes to his right vs his left. Carried it much lower when throwing to his right. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

Crap like this is what I'm talking about:

https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/status/1348648604030918657?s=20

I never even thought of that trade fro Watson, maybe BoB would have done that, but I doubt it it's possible.   Trade Watt, keep Bud, who would have thought?

11 hours ago, August4th said:

He's either played like a decent QB manager with moments of greatness sprinkled in here and there or  Jameis Winston in every playoff game since his 05 run

and in the last 10 years post SB45, only a few playoff wins and vs scrub plus the bungle in the jungle.  Considering all the talent on offence, it makes one wonder if the QB didn't achieve .  The defence wasn't good though, so where does an observer draw the line?

13 hours ago, 43M said:

Someone needs to make the tough decision or tell him to retire or be cut

If they cut him, isn't the cap loss more severe than if they trade him or if he retires? This is where ben has leverage, and a reason why he will have his way once again.  And a reason I won't be watching. He has to be gone, as do fichner, pouncey, JJSS and I would prefer DJ and Vmac gone too.  

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Yikes. 

wow, that's quite a stat. So much for the hOF qb that will have the highest cap value in the NFL next year and his hand picked OC. Maybe his way of running the offence wasn't as good as when Haley was here? Haley had more talent and a legit OL coach too, but at least they had a rushing attack. Now it's the passing steelers, worst in the nfl at rushing and can't score in the 1st quarter . Nice

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think so. Creed Humphrey from OU, good kid from tOSU, and an absolute behemoth from Bama, Dickenson. He’s been injured a lot unfortunately. There’s also a kid from Georgia, Hill. He may be the best of all of them. There are some real big, talented centers in this draft. Good, deep, class of OTs too. I think the ILB class is special as well. Those are really the only positions I’ve looked at so far.

Dickerson is the monster. He'll go higher than Humphrey (I think) and Hill.
I'm curious who you really like at ILB?