Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did anyone see what Kaboly reported about Banner’s exit interview? Apparently Tomlin told Banner he was the plan at LT. I think if he continues to trim down, there’s no reason he couldn’t be a serviceable LT at least. He’s got the bloodlines, the skill, and he seems to have the motivation now. 

You want to improve the run blocking , Banner at LT and draft Jenkins as the RT. 

That's two big boys Manning the ends , should definitely be able to get some push up front 

Pass blocking takes a hit, but opens up play action more 

Also minus pouncey who couldn't get any push up front ever ... You could have the makings of a decent run blocking Line

Edited by Cbrunn

44 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did anyone see what Kaboly reported about Banner’s exit interview? Apparently Tomlin told Banner he was the plan at LT. I think if he continues to trim down, there’s no reason he couldn’t be a serviceable LT at least. He’s got the bloodlines, the skill, and he seems to have the motivation now. 

I don’t have the athletic but had anyone seen a full quote? I have only seen the “you are my answer” part. Was it in relation to being asked about playing LT or is that just an assumption on Kabolys part?

I have no doubt Banner is back, but IMO he profiles better at RT. His ability to maybe play LT would be great though, allowing us to either put Feiler back at RT or let Chuks play there again.  But I would think Chuks at LT as a finesse pass blocker and Banner at RT as a mauler makes more sense and the lm hope to draft the future LT in the next two years. 

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

I'm 50/50 on ben staying. Colbert sounding like a gm who's ready to move on.

I should expand on my thought but it sounds to me like an ultimatum:

1 - We will not restructure you. It sounds like he doesn’t want the cap hit lingering. 
2 - You play for us on our terms not yours. 
3 - If you don’t accept either of those we will move on. 

I think Colbert’s comments mean.....

Nothing. At least nothing more than we already knew. 

They still don’t know what the cap will be, therefore they really don’t know much of anything. Word is Ben is interested in coming back but I don’t know he has made a final decision. 

End of the day, I took his comments as a guy who doesn’t know what the situation is and until he does, there’s no point in being definitive about anything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I should expand on my thought but it sounds to me like an ultimatum:

1 - We will not restructure you. It sounds like he doesn’t want the cap hit lingering. 
2 - You play for us on our terms not yours. 
3 - If you don’t accept either of those we will move on. 

if they only thought like this when Stafford was on the trade block. I doubt the Steelers would have won in that bid war though. I hope colbert moves on, ben has been washed up for 3 years , his career was over at 35, Brady might hoist another Lombardi at 45. One just shows up, the other was dedicated to his craft in all aspects. 

As fro Ben, do any of you think he gives back some of HIS $19M to stay and play another season? Or does Colbert and company finally say it's time to move on?

Edited by 3rivers

4 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

You want to improve the run blocking , Banner at LT and draft Jenkins as the RT. 

That's two big boys Manning the ends , should definitely be able to get some push up front 

Pass blocking takes a hit, but opens up play action more 

Also minus pouncey who couldn't get any push up front ever ... You could have the makings of a decent run blocking Line

trade for Finney , bring him back for C.  OL has been trash, they need some changes maybe coaching was to blame. Agree, Pouncey couldn't get any yards in short yardage runs, he was ineffective for that. 

28 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Yeah, they are just waiting on the cap. Ben probably wonders if they can put people around him and Colbert probably needs to know if there’s enough cash to make certain moves. This is going to be a very slow moving game. 

Honestly this is holding up so much right now.  Of course the league is trying to negotiate it's next contracts for TV revenue and attempting to get some money upfront.

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Yeah, they are just waiting on the cap. Ben probably wonders if they can put people around him and Colbert probably needs to know if there’s enough cash to make certain moves. This is going to be a very slow moving game. 

Pretty much this...I’m guessing the week before the league new year is gonna be nuts.

46 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I this picture becoming any clearer for anyone yet?

It's funny because you were the one claiming a few weeks back that the Canada hire was proof that the organization was catering to Ben too much.

For all this talk about Fitchner being Ben's buddy, there isn't much talk about the fact that he was Tomlin's first hire in 2007 when he got the job and the two were reportedly very close. It was all somehow Ben behind everything.

Pouncey and McDonald went out on their own terms. The organization had nothing to do with that. So, even if they want him to move on, outside Fitchner the team has done nothing to lay the groundwork for any grand strategy with regards to Ben. And with regards to Fitchner, they brought in Canada last year and he clearly wasn't looking to just be a QB coach long term. It was clear that seat was warm after 2019.

Colbert doesn't just say things to say them. He clearly was trying to get a message across to Ben and his agent. It's possible they want him to move on, or it's possible that he's looking for some leverage in the contract talks to come. But there's no grand plan here to force him out.