Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

20 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I disagree with that. He isn't a bad character and he IS a good player and with a running game and more consistent OL and QB play, he would producing far more imo.

decent plays, fumbling prone (possibly) and as for character, dancing on logo's and social media are trash. Move on

19 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

decent plays, fumbling prone (possibly) and as for character, dancing on logo's and social media are trash. Move on

Social Media stuff, I think that's gotta be separated from his football stuff.  I get the criticism but man, of the problems we had in 2020, imo, he wasn't one of them.

The dancing on logo's alright that was probably bad judgment on his part but it wasn't a cardinal sin. I would love nothing more than to keep him and I hate that more than likely we won't. 

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Social Media stuff, I think that's gotta be separated from his football stuff.  I get the criticism but man, of the problems we had in 2020, imo, he wasn't one of them.

The dancing on logo's alright that was probably bad judgment on his part but it wasn't a cardinal sin. I would love nothing more than to keep him and I hate that more than likely we won't. 

If Juju dancing on the logo gave anyone on another team any ounce of motivation then that player needs to retire. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If Juju dancing on the logo gave anyone on another team any ounce of motivation then that player needs to retire. 

Pretty much. The only negative thing I'd say at all about him is, he has to realize he will undergo criticism when the team is struggling even if it isn't his fault if it appears his focus isn't 100% on football. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But that's a fact. 

For me, I love having him on the team and it sucks that he probably won't be after this offseason.

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

At least that will get it over with. I'd rather pay Ben all of it now then spread it out and watch him trot out there as our starter in 2 years. 

And I’d be willing to bet that what he would do. Every last comment he’s ever made was if he’s under contract he plans on playing. 

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'd be stunned if he did. He cares too much about that money.

We're 33 pages into this thread where people have gone over his contract ad nauseam, and people still think he's making $41 million this year. He's making $19 million. His cap hit is 41 because of previous restructures requested by the team to clear cap space.

$19 million is nothing for a starting QB in the NFL. Ben has made his money. I highly doubt his decision to play is influenced by some desire to make low-end starting QB money for one more year.

And then you want the team to cough up some $16 million for Juju. What did Juju do in 2019 with Mason Rudolph throwing him the ball? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.. And Juju isn't worth $16 million playing the way he was used last year, either. That's top tier dollars for a receiver still, and you don't pay that cash for someone who averaged 8.6 YPC.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

We're 33 pages into this thread where people have gone over his contract ad nauseam, and people still think he's making $41 million this year. He's making $19 million. His cap hit is 41 because of previous restructures requested by the team to clear cap space.

$19 million is nothing for a starting QB in the NFL. Ben has made his money. I highly doubt his decision to play is influenced by some desire to make low-end starting QB money for one more year.

And then you want the team to cough up some $16 million for Juju. What did Juju do in 2019 with Mason Rudolph throwing him the ball? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.. And Juju isn't worth $16 million playing the way he was used last year, either. That's top tier dollars for a receiver still, and you don't pay that cash for someone who averaged 8.6 YPC.

I'm saying Juju has more years and potential in front of him than Ben and Ben IS why we lost in the playoffs. 

If any part of me believed Ben could come back and help us win a SB, I'd want him to be here. But I don't, not even a little. I'd rather save the $19M and spend it elsewhere, whether it's Juju, Bud, or someone else.  Imo, it's time to cut the cord.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm saying Juju has more years and potential in front of him than Ben and Ben IS why we lost in the playoffs. 

If any part of me believed Ben could come back and help us win a SB, I'd want him to be here. But I don't, not even a little. I'd rather save the $19M and spend it elsewhere, whether it's Juju, Bud, or someone else.  Imo, it's time to cut the cord.

This is basically the way I feel.  I think Ben is just about done for.  And yes you can point to the lack of a run game and so many throws, but really you would be fooling yourself thinking that just getting him a run game will help him.  You could see late in season he wasn't stepping into throws the same way, he was missing throws he would usually make.  And I'd be ok with one last year from him if he was making good reads, but he was throwing into double, sometimes triple, teams.  Missing more open throws.  Sure he did some good things at times late in the season, but they were more like little spurts than prolonged successes.

I was listening to NFL radio and Dulac being on yesterday during the day, and he said it is a crossroads for all sides.  Ben knows if he comes back, he's not going to have Juju and Pouncey on the offensive side, and no Bud, Sutton, and maybe Hilton on the defensive side.  Dulac added that Villanueva is not someone the Steelers are prioritizing, and he mentioned that both sides might be better for it due to reasons he (Dulac) wouldn't get into (draw your own conclusion here). 

So Dulac said at this point it's basically a game of chicken.  No one in the Steelers front office would try hard to talk him out of retirement and they aren't exactly pushing the issue to get anything figured out.  On the flip side Ben isn't really looking to retire, but he isn't going to come to the Steelers with the offer that helps the cap situation.

Dulac said basically we're going to take one more year of Ben and possibly a 1% chance at a Super Bowl over the expense of being able to retain Juju or Dupree, signing a FA Center, and keeping all Hilton, Sutton, and Alualu.  He said if you look at it that way, along with Mason's week 17 performance against a must win team, you can see why the Steelers wouldn't fight it if he decides to retire.

He also said the Steelers FA's in order of who the Steelers have importance on retaining is: Dupree, Hilton, Juju, Alualu, Sutton, Conner, Dangerfield, Villanueva.

• Like 1