Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

29 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Surprise! Reality can be boring sometimes. 

You are completely glossing over half the argument. It's real simple - what do you think is the purpose of team websites? Because creating controversies isn't it. And when your team website uses a word like diva, it doesn't matter how it happened. It shouldn't have happened unless it was intentional. The blame isn't on the people who rightly ask the obvious questions as a result of the screw up.

And that's if it was a screw-up because some people refuse to even entertain the other side of the argument. You are the ones jumping to give the most benign interpretation possible to the post (there is nothing indicating exactly what specific behaviors Labriola was referring to) while rejecting anything more outright. That's not a reality based interpretation of events. It's the homer based interpretation.

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

what do you think is the purpose of team websites? Because creating controversies isn't it

Bud, so why do you think they are trying to create one now? I mean, you're honestly telling on yourself here. 

You keep saying about how the team site isn't made for this. That the editors are idiots for missing some scandal inducing questioning of the front offices motives. So why don't you take all the context clues surrounding the quote itself, the vehicle in which it was delivered, and the use of the word as it related to social media's me facing nature and NFL receivers today and come up with the conclusion that most makes sense?

Is it more likely Labriola is letting some deep FO secret out of the bag or that he choose a word he thought was best to get across his point of actions in a simple, compact word? 

7 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The blame isn't on the people who rightly ask the obvious questions as a result of the screw up.

You never asked a question, you jumped to a conclusion because you and madden wanted to interpret a word the way you wanted to interpret it. 

And who says is a screw up? This word has long been something that was used to describe NFL receivers. It promotes a "me first" attitude that people often now confuse social media usage with. It's not taboo. You don't go to jail if you use it. 

Maybe there was a better way to say it? I don't know. Maybe we can all agree on that? 

8 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

It's the homer based interpretation.

And more likely than the conspiracy based interpretation. 

16 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

And that's if it was a screw-up because some people refuse to even entertain the other side of the argument.

Im happy to consider the other side of the argument. Now, do it without the conspiracy theory part. What sense would it make for Labriola to provide secret FO office messaging or to take the role of a phone call from Tomlin and put it in the press? What lesson would this be teaching a 23 year old? How would this decision, to air dirty laundry, effect the team moving forward and have their players trust the FO and anyone wearing a Steelers media badge?

Again, I'll stick with the things that make the most sense. 

10 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

So why don't you take all the context clues surrounding the quote itself, the vehicle in which it was delivered, and the use of the word as it related to social media's me facing nature and NFL receivers today and come up with the conclusion that most makes sense?

And here's what  you're glossing over. Your interpretation of the line could be 100% accurate, and it would still mean that the team website screwed up. But you refuse, for whatever reason, to admit even this. You instead want to place blame on members of the media who naturally raised an eyebrow at a team website labeling one of its players a diva.

If the people running the site didn't know they were going to create a controversy by using that word, then they are bad at their jobs.

13 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

What lesson would this be teaching a 23 year old?

If the team wanted to send a message about his behavior publicly, how would they go back about it other than leaking it to the press? If things were said to that 23 year old behind closed doors and people in the organization didn't think the message was getting across, then it's entirely plausible they felt it was better to make it public. Especially after the Brown fiasco. It's entirely possible they felt that hiding that behavior for years didn't actually help things in the long run.

15 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

and have their players trust the FO and anyone wearing a Steelers media badge?

I'm sure the next time the Steelers website wants to talk to Claypool, especially Labriola, it won't at all be a bit awkward.

I'm sure Claypool's agent didn't have any questions as to why the team website was labeling him a diva.

36 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

But you refuse, for whatever reason, to admit even this.

Refuse to admit what? They could have used a better word? Sure, look at my post above. 

People screw up without ill-intent, lawd have mercy. FIRE BOB NEVER LET HIM NEAR THE FACILTY AGAIN. Would that be a better response for you from me?

40 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

You instead want to place blame on members of the media who naturally raised an eyebrow at a team website labeling one of its players a diva.

Not quite. I blame media members for pushing conspiracy theories for clicks when there is a more logical answer available if they just care to think about it. Madden wants your clicks -- right or wrong. Florio wants your clicks -- right or wrong. I do not like that type of sports media.

There was never a "Hey, it could just be taken outta context" it was only "Team hates Claypool!". 

36 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

If the people running the site didn't know they were going to create a controversy by using that word, then they are bad at their jobs.

Taken from the Team website:

Bob Labriola Editor Steelers Digest/Contributor Steelers.com 

One guy wrote it and edited it. So it's, most likely, that he wrote the word not considering it controversial at the time of his writing. It's likely not some conspiracy theory with deeper meaning. You wanna call it a mistake? Fine. I just don't think its that big of a deal, but you can win me over with a mistake. 

38 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

If the team wanted to send a message about his behavior publicly, how would they go back about it other than leaking it to the press? If things were said to that 23 year old behind closed doors and people in the organization didn't think the message was getting across, then it's entirely plausible they felt it was better to make it public. Especially after the Brown fiasco. It's entirely possible they felt that hiding that behavior for years didn't actually help things in the long run.

This quote is answered by....

38 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm sure the next time the Steelers website wants to talk to Claypool, especially Labriola, it won't at all be a bit awkward.

I'm sure Claypool's agent didn't have any questions as to why the team website was labeling him a diva.

...this one.

They wouldn't do that. It doesn't make sense. So scratch conspiracy theory off the list of things it could be. 

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

People screw up without ill-intent, lawd have mercy. FIRE BOB NEVER LET HIM NEAR THE FACILTY AGAIN. Would that be a better response for you from me?

It's progress when you are actually willing to admit a mistake was made. I don't see how even an old man wouldn't know that he'd be creating a controversy by calling a player a diva.

So, if it was a mistake or screw-up, someone needs to sit down with Labriola at a minimum and remind him of what his actual function is. Because even something that could have a minor impact on the relationship between the team and player shouldn't be coming from the team's website by mistake.

There was never a "Hey, it could just be taken outta context" it was only "Team hates Claypool!". 

That actually isn't what Florio wrote. Let's provide the actual quote:

As noted on Sunday, Labriola has a different kind of access than most media members covering the Steelers. Thus, if Labriola is saying it publicly, it’s likely that other team employees are saying it privately.

So has Claypool privately displayed diva tendencies? It’s impossible to rule it out, given that the Steelers managed to keep Brown’s diva tendencies under wraps for most of his career.

They wouldn't do that. It doesn't make sense. So scratch conspiracy theory off the list of things it could be. 

It doesn't even require a conspiracy, though you can try to paint it as such. Though it remains entirely possible that Labriola felt that the powers that be in the organization would have no major issue with what he said while also fully realizing that he would create a controversy by using the word diva.

You can say what you want about Florio or Madden, but neither was wrong to ask the obvious question of what was going on when the team website printed what it did.

I have committed to the reality Juju ain't coming back.

Bud obviously is gone.

I hope Feiler is gone.

But I also believe Hilton walks. 

As far as the Steelers posting about Diva tendencies on their website, regardless of the motivation it was dumb.

Edited by wwhickok

Hilton is an asset against the Ravens. They'd probably miss him in those games.

He was kind of a weak link in the secondary when facing teams with stronger passing games. Even Cleveland exploited him some, though just about everyone had a bad day in that playoff loss.

I might prefer Sutton.

And if they do lose Hilton, they'll have no one to blame but themselves. The team refused to extend him the last two years when he went to them about it. So, if I were Hilton, I'd just be looking to cash in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

Hilton is an asset against the Ravens. They'd probably miss him in those games.

He was kind of a weak link in the secondary when facing teams with stronger passing games. Even Cleveland exploited him some, though just about everyone had a bad day in that playoff loss.

I might prefer Sutton.

And if they do lose Hilton, they'll have no one to blame but themselves. The team refused to extend him the last two years when he went to them about it. So, if I were Hilton, I'd just be looking to cash in.

I agree and that's exactly why I believe we are going to lose him.

Although, Lavonte David's deal may not favor the market for guys like Dupree.

It'll be interesting to see what Kenny Golladay gets because that might be the bar for Juju.

5 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Given what teams are doing with these voidable years, if the Steelers get creative, they may be able to do more in FA than we think.

Against all hope I am hoping for Dupree and either one of either Sutton or Hilton.

They’ll make room for a solid player in FA ala Ebron from last year.

Id be all for Bud and Sutton.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Some y’all gonna be pissed when it Hilton, Juju, and Banner with 1 outside FA. 

Besides paying Juju I’d be ok with that even though I prefer Sutton>Hilton.

Rather go give Juju $$$ to somebody else.