Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If he can stay healthy, I've got no issue with it.

He can’t, he hasn’t been able to his entire career. You’re lucky if you get 13 games out of him but that’s why he’ll be cheap. I’ve always though he’d be a great fit with us/Ben.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:16 PM, bigben07MVP said:

Duke Johnson looked awful carrying the ball last year. Even in a committee I prefer a guy with at least some value as a runner. 

I want Travis Etienne at 24. He is a Dalvin Cook clone. I watched a ton of both in college and they are so similar it’s insane. Dalvin got knocked for fumbles and frame/injury concerns as well and look how that panned out. Etienne is about as close to perfect as a prospect as you can get. If it’s 2012 he’s going top 5 I guarantee it.

I pounded the table for Cam Akers last year and while I love Claypool, Akers would have been more valuable to us last season. My point remains the same from last off-season, we need a dynamic/game changing RB to pair with an old aging immobile QB.  Yes our receivers were great last year when they weren’t dropping balls but outside of Juju, Claypool, and DJ there are 0 playmakers at RB and TE. The running game needs an injection of life and OL is deep in this draft. We need a running game we can lean on to pair with our defense, just seems too obvious. Those quick passes Ben loves are so much are more effective with the threat of a running game, that’s why our offense actually looked good the first half of the season. Etienne in the 1st, Dickerson in the 2nd is my ideal scenario to fix the running game. Dickerson as a rookie will be an upgrade over the last 2-3 seasons of Pouncey.

I’ll be so pissed if they bring back Conner, unless it’s VERY cheap and we also draft a RB at 24. I’ve seen enough of Conner and Snell. I also do not want Jamaal Williams or any of the other mid/low tier free agent RBs who will more of the same. A trio of Etienne, McFarland, and Snell for short yardage is a nice looking group.

A ton of smoke on Etienne and the Steelers today. What’s the consensus on here in regards to Harris vs. Etienne.

I’m too lazy to Google it right now, but I feel like I remember Jesse James seeming very happy he was out of Pittsburgh....

...but if he and Finney came back on low end deals I think those would be very quality signings. 

• Like 1

Sounds like Juju isnt coming back, and Im okay with that.   I wish Juju the best, but I dont think its in either sides best interest.   As much as I like Juju, I still am not totally sold that he is a bonafide number 1 WR, which some team will pay him as.    I think he has a better chance at succeeding elsewhere, too.

This team is going to change dramatically over the next 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m too lazy to Google it right now, but I feel like I remember Jesse James seeming very happy he was out of Pittsburgh....

...but if he and Finney came back on low end deals I think those would be very quality signings. 

Wasnt it because he felt underutilized here?   He needs to accept he isnt a star TE and never will be.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can’t remember exactly but I do know that his quote wasn’t nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. 

I dont remember it either.   Just saying that I hope he has accepted his role in this league is basically limited to what he was in Pittsburgh.

Less lazy this morning and found the quote I was thinking of:

"I'm glad to get away from it," James told reporters. "Obviously, things like that I like to face head-on. If I would've had the opportunity to head back to Pittsburgh I would've been into it and ready to get through this.

"You know, they're in a different situation. They've lost a couple of players that have been keys for a long time for them. It's not something I was running away from. Those problems, I would like to face them head-on."

"I've had some success in Pittsburgh," James told reporters. "I feel like things could have been better. Offensively, I wasn't used the way I feel I could be used here. I feel like my ceiling here is going to be much higher than it was in the past."

So like @MOSteelers56mentioned, it is not that bad after re-reading it. The parts that stuck with me were the bold. Without context I just remembered him saying he was happy to get away and that things could be better when they talked about him and the drama of the locker room. 

@43M, you were right on the underlined above. I didn't remember that part. I am guessing he wasn't too please after signing with the Lions and them immediately drafting a TE in the top 10. 

I always liked him as a #2. He blocks and isn't a liability in the pass game. Would be great to pair next to Ebron. It doesnt erase the need for a new TE, but it softens the blow if we don't get one in a world that is full of bad TE's. 

Its entirely wishful thinking but....

With Cam going back to NE, and the weirdness that is BB drafting, maybe a QB falls into the mid-teens that is worth trading up for. 

If the Jets like Darnold enough, Atlanta believes in Ryan's 4 year outlook, Eagles like Hurts, Detroit is comfortable with Goff, and NE is okay with Cam - that leaves Jacksonville, Carolina, Denver, San Francisco, and Washington as the real contenders for QB before us. 5 Teams in what looks like a 5 QB draft. Just takes one of them not going QB (thinking Denver and San Fran) to potentially drop one to us, but if any of the first stuff happens it could make picks 13-18 look extremely appetizing for a trade. 

Not saying this is likely, but it's possible. Weirder things happen in the draft. Weird things are for sure going to happen in a pandemic effected one. But if Justin Field make it to pick 13, I might be making some calls.