Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

So, if he was to go -- I don't mind the idea of changing GM's as we would be doing so soon, but this is probably not the best year to do it. 

Extensions didn't happen last year because of Covid and the unknown of the salary cap, but plans had to be in the works. I think it COULD have an awful short term effect on us to potentially lose the two biggest voices in the FO for player management in Colbert and Kahn in a year when 2020 roster moves were most likely going to happen immediately in 2021. 

44 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

So, if he was to go -- I don't mind the idea of changing GM's as we would be doing so soon, but this is probably not the best year to do it. 

Extensions didn't happen last year because of Covid and the unknown of the salary cap, but plans had to be in the works. I think it COULD have an awful short term effect on us to potentially lose the two biggest voices in the FO for player management in Colbert and Kahn in a year when 2020 roster moves were most likely going to happen immediately in 2021. 

No plan. He’s year by year with renewal right after the draft. 

Honestly they should let him talk. Even if it’s a 5th/4th for letting him go early they could use it. 

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

sigh...I love what Ben brought to this franchise and he could probably help us win some games next yr, but its time to move on. I would cut him if I had the power.

I might be one of the few in saying go for it 1 last year...you have a ton of vets in last year of deal.

It be a natural tipping point.

57 minutes ago, warfelg said:

No plan. He’s year by year with renewal right after the draft. 

I'm not speaking of plan in terms of Colbert and his future, I mean in terms of having a plan on what do to with all the expiring player contracts brought along by the chances in cap by Covid. He just signed that extension to be on through the draft, you have to imagine there is the framework of a plan on what to do with players they let go into expiring years. I am not sure I would be excited about a total FO rebuild (if they lost both Kahn and Colbert) this season because of the circumstances. 

Ben back with an updated contract and a new offensive coaching staff -- fine, not super happy, but fine

Ben back with current cap charge and no/limited offensive coaching staff changes -- absolutely, positively, 1000% against. 

Something to consider, but Ben coming back means they are going for it again -- not starting a rebuild. So if Ben IS back, they need to maintain and re-tool. That's why I think IF Ben IS back, there is a really strong possibility they find something to do with that cap number to help maintain and re-tool. You don't bring Ben back at 39 and a $41M cap charge to jettison Dupree, Villy, Hilton, Sutton, etc. just to say "let's see what happens". 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Ben back with an updated contract and a new offensive coaching staff -- fine, not super happy, but fine

Ben back with current cap charge and no/limited offensive coaching staff changes -- absolutely, positively, 1000% against. 

Something to consider, but Ben coming back means they are going for it again -- not starting a rebuild. So if Ben IS back, they need to maintain and re-tool. That's why I think IF Ben IS back, there is a really strong possibility they find something to do with that cap number to help maintain and re-tool. You don't bring Ben back at 39 and a $41M cap charge to jettison Dupree, Villy, Hilton, Sutton, etc. just to say "let's see what happens". 

I think they add on 1 year to spread some of that $15 mill roster bonus to 2022.

You might be able to retool that OL cheaply with say...Chuks to LT, Banner on prove it deal at RT and at least 1 top 3 round pick...not sure what’s going onwithPouncey but insert Dotson at LG.

Im gonna guess they resign 1 ofHilton/Sutton with Layne seeming being passed in-depth chart by Pierre late in season.

Part of me would love Dupree back somehow to allow a 3 man rotation on the edges to keep everyone fresh.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm not speaking of plan in terms of Colbert and his future, I mean in terms of having a plan on what do to with all the expiring player contracts brought along by the chances in cap by Covid. He just signed that extension to be on through the draft, you have to imagine there is the framework of a plan on what to do with players they let go into expiring years. I am not sure I would be excited about a total FO rebuild (if they lost both Kahn and Colbert) this season because of the circumstances. 

I honestly think the plan was to wait to see what happened with the cap.