Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What I don't like about the Colbrrt extension is that it is until AFTER the draft in 2022. If he isn't coming back after that (,hypothetically) he shouldn't be drafting

I agree BUT - I think his 2022 offseason role will be more about being a guide and mentor to a new GM rather than as the guy calling the shots. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If the highlight of Free Agency for Pittsburgh is really going to be losing AV, Feiler, Juju, Conner, Dupree, Hilton, and cutting Williams while signing Colbert to a new extension, signing Cam Sutton and signing back Banner.... well that about sums out our SB chances in 2021 because that is a MASSIVE step backward.

It’s only the first day of free agency, I will be absolutely shocked if they are done making moves. Williams being cut would lead to JuJu, Hilton, or an outside guy like Nick Martin or something in my opinion we won’t just cut him for no reason.

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

It’s only the first day of free agency, I will be absolutely shocked if they are done making moves. Williams being cut would lead to JuJu, Hilton, or an outside guy like Nick Martin or something in my opinion we won’t just cut him for no reason.

Nick Martin from Houston? I'll pass. He was not good in 2020.

If they're cutting Vince I'd hope it's for Juju.

I would be curious to know what Clowney's price would be. I'm excited for Highsmith to step into the role, but the reason I didnt want Dupree back was cancelling the multiple years of Highsmiths rookie deal. 

But Clowney and Dupree are very, very similar players. If he ends up sitting around for a long time waiting on a contract like last year, I wonder if he would take a one year, low dollar and come try to blow it up here with our pass rushers - not the non-existent kind he had in Tennessee last year. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I would be curious to know what Clowney's price would be. I'm excited for Highsmith to step into the role, but the reason I didnt want Dupree back was cancelling the multiple years of Highsmiths rookie deal. 

But Clowney and Dupree are very, very similar players. If he ends up sitting around for a long time waiting on a contract like last year, I wonder if he would take a one year, low dollar and come try to blow it up here with our pass rushers - not the non-existent kind he had in Tennessee last year. 

The issue with Clowney is he thinks he’s TJ Watt when he’s more just a run stuffer than can pass rush. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The issue with Clowney is he thinks he’s TJ Watt when he’s more just a run stuffer than can pass rush. 

And that's why I would just be price checking. I would give him all the Bud Dupree comparisons I could muster and then show him Bud's new $16.5M per contract. 

Come be the top end run stuffer, edge setting, motor pass rusher that you are -- and hope that because we will blitz nearly 10x more than you have hopefully your pass rush numbers go up and you can hit a contract. Hoping his "$20M man" to 8 games and 0 sacks kinda brought that financial ego down. 

Im more worried about his health than anything. But if we could let give Highsmith some early down help as he learns to defend the run and set the edge better, Clowney would be a great pairing. But it would all come down to cost. 

16 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

And that's why I would just be price checking. I would give him all the Bud Dupree comparisons I could muster and then show him Bud's new $16.5M per contract. 

Come be the top end run stuffer, edge setting, motor pass rusher that you are -- and hope that because we will blitz nearly 10x more than you have hopefully your pass rush numbers go up and you can hit a contract. Hoping his "$20M man" to 8 games and 0 sacks kinda brought that financial ego down. 

Im more worried about his health than anything. But if we could let give Highsmith some early down help as he learns to defend the run and set the edge better, Clowney would be a great pairing. But it would all come down to cost. 

Well that’s the issue. Because he thinks he TJ Watt he wants to be paid like that. 

Honestly, and it hurts to say this, he should be calling the Browns. 

Edited by warfelg

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

he should be calling the Browns.

After what he did to them last year..... If Im the Browns Im not sure I take that call. Apparently he should be calling the Rams. After playing with AD, seems you get a contract like Oprah is the one handing them out. 

Jadeveon wouldn't be top of my list, but if he is sitting around after week 3 of FA, I'd give a call and make my pitch. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Thats always been my issue with him. If we needed a pure run stuffer and Clowney understood that's what he is, then that would be one thing but he thinks he is the next coming of Lawrence Taylor and he isn't even a poor man's Trey Hendrickson

28 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’ll take a guess and say the Steelers snag an outside FA at either RB or TE...my best .02 guess.

My guess is RB since we at least have a semi decent TE in Ebron and NOTHING at RB.   Jesse James is the most we will sign at TE IMO.   I could see us waiting until later in the offseason to get another TE.