Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

9 minutes ago, August4th said:
3 days in FA and what many people think is WR1 of the FA class is getting 1 yr offers...

Yea I’m sorry but what does Galloday have to “prove” to anyone. I know he injured his hip last year but I thought the sense was that it was minor and not worth coming back from to play for Detroit in a contract year. He’s a bonafide #1 WR.

11 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yea I’m sorry but what does Galloday have to “prove” to anyone. I know he injured his hip last year but I thought the sense was that it was minor and not worth coming back from to play for Detroit in a contract year. He’s a bonafide #1 WR.

Golladay, imo, probably ends up with the Giants. 

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would be all over this.

There's three things hurting JuJu

1. He has not looked like the same player since AB left, thats a fact.

2. He hasn't proved he can consistently win on the outside, no one wants to pay 16mill+ for a slot receiver

3. He hasn't proved he can be a #1 receiving threat

Now I love JuJu for what he is and would love to have him back but these are the reasons no one is in huge rush to sign him. 

Yeah.   I sure dont want to give him top end money.   I think he is capable of being a quality number 1 in the right situation....but I dont view him as an elite WR talent that can have success in pretty much any situation.   

46 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Fort works for their hybrid defense but not a 3-4.  He is not athletic enough.  Spillane  was an upgrade over him.

Can you explain what you mean by this? I would assume that someone would need to be more athletic to play in the hybrid. I'm not a good X's and O's guy. 

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Can you explain what you mean by this? I would assume that someone would need to be more athletic to play in the hybrid. I'm not a good X's and O's guy. 

I'm curious to this as well. Are we saying Spillane is more athletic than Fort? I find that hard to believe. 

Spillane was considered to be a ST ace, a Matakevich replacement. He played less than half the season and yes had some flashes but are we convinced he's actually that good?

What the Steelers ask their ILBs to do vs what a hybrid defense like the Ravens ask are much different.  Fort, in the Ravens defense plays downhill and is not asked to cover much if at all.  So he can be a pure read and react flow to the hole.  Now you are thinking " Isn't that what Spillane does?"  And you know in your secret heart that the Steeler ILB have much more coverage responsibilities ( I know now that you are fondly thinking of VWill covering AJ Green).

The Ravens let Yannick Ngakoue go because ( I think) he is not an OLB in their system.  He is a pure 9 tech and does not have the size to play over a OT like the Ravens need at times.  Even though they have a pure pass rushing position on the defense, they stopped playing Ngakoue  by the end of the last season all together.  Why?  Becasue he can't cover and set the edge like they need.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1