Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

To be completely honest I think we bring Conner back cheap and then head into the draft as is. I don't see us signing ANY free agents new to the team.

You can almost guarantee we will bring in a vet center before the draft. I think we sign Jesse James as well.

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

You can almost guarantee we will bring in a vet center before the draft. I think we sign Jesse James as well.

The only Vet C's out there still worth signing are Andrews and Reiter, imo.

I'm all for James tbh. But right now, this team hasn't improved themselves at all. But they have downgraded themselves. 

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I could see them counting Finney as their vet center pick-up.

Colbert is going to do his typical over the next month.

I like Conner as a player. Great story and all that. But the guy can't stay healthy and there are options out there that add more. Damien Williams is one of the best receiving backs in the league, he's explosive, he's what they wish McFarland was. Making a run at him is a no-brainer to me. They have to double up on that position with FA and the draft regardless.

There's a few TE options out there. James if he's gotten over himself is an option as a cheap number 2. Fells who was just released would be a competent back-up. Nice blocker.

It's possible they re-sign Vince Williams on a cheaper deal, but they're going to have to try and add LB help at both inside and out.

So... David Andrews is signing back with NE.

I know people keep saying they think we are going to sign a Vet Center, I'm here to tell you, I think Finney is our Vet Center and 2021 Starter.

In other news, Donte Moncrief just got signed by Houston. Yes I said Donte Moncrief. Man Juju's market must be God awful.

The team kind of screwed Juju. I mean, part of it is his own limitations. He's not a #1 and he wants to be paid like it. But they quietly asked him to bulk up in the off-season so they could use him as their underneath guy in the slot. They couldn't have tanked his value anymore if they tried. No one is going to pay $16 mil a year for that.

Unless he drops weight and gets some speed back, he aint worth the investment. He's the 8 YPC guy the Steelers had last year who struggles to separate from LB's. Teams are looking at his tape and they aren't impressed. And to take it a step further, they didn't get the memo that it was Ben's supposedly noodle arm (which didn't stop Washington or Claypool from averaging 13.1 and 14.1 YPC).

If the Steelers change how they use Juju and ask him to slim down, I could get on board with nabbing him on a cheaper short term deal. It takes WR off the list of draft needs if so. But I don't even want him back if they just use him like last year.

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I know people keep saying they think we are going to sign a Vet Center, I'm here to tell you, I think Finney is our Vet Center and 2021 Starter.

I suspect the Steelers nab one of the top four centers in this draft in R2 or R3 and that they will actually play them. But I do think Finney is their cheap depth signing/insurance policy. And he's not a bad depth guy if he has his head on straight and actually works this off-season on staying in shape.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The problem i see with the draft is they're going into it with significant needs. Holes that they don't normally have. 

RB, C and NT are arguably the most glaring holes right now.    We have no one at those positions right now.

I don't think they'd agree with you. I mean, NT is a two down position. They need depth at ILB and OLB, but they have their starters across the board. They like their young guys in the secondary.

They have two guys at the tackle position, but they're probably not comfortable with the LT spot. Center is a gaping hole. RB is a gaping hole.

The depth on defense won't be as strong as last year, but they have plenty of potential to be better on offense if they play their cards right. They've surprised me before, but if the first four picks don't include a center, tackle, and RB, I'd be shocked.

Just now, CKSteeler said:

I don't think they'd agree with you. I mean, NT isn't even a two down position these days. Their "starter" there just signed for $3 mil a year. They'll trust their young guys and add a late pick to fill things out. They need depth at ILB and OLB, but they have their starters across the board. They like their young guys in the secondary.

They have two guys at the tackle position, but they're probably not comfortable with the LT spot. Center is a gaping hole. RB is a gaping hole.

The depth on defense won't be as strong as last year, but they have plenty of potential to be better on offense if they play their cards right. They've surprised me before, but if the first four picks don't include a center, tackle, and RB, I'd be shocked.