Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

2 minutes ago, DaRealTitletown said:

ILB is a big need too 

I would have kept Williams, especially with Bush coming back from injury. Spillane went down after a few games. But the team likes him and is likely comfortable with him starting. I could see ILB sneaking into one of the top draft choices, though.

EDIT: And looking at the Bucs defense last year, the key pieces for them in their playoff run were in that front 7 and particularly their LB's. A lot of speed there. So, I could live with a higher pick being used on the position.

Edited by CKSteeler

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't think they'd agree with you. I mean, NT is a two down position. They need depth at ILB and OLB, but they have their starters across the board. They like their young guys in the secondary.

They have two guys at the tackle position, but they're probably not comfortable with the LT spot. Center is a gaping hole. RB is a gaping hole.

The depth on defense won't be as strong as last year, but they have plenty of potential to be better on offense if they play their cards right. They've surprised me before, but if the first four picks don't include a center, tackle, and RB, I'd be shocked.

You know... you're probably right but apparently unlike the coaches and GM I'm willing to admit the flaws of this team. NOTHING has shown, to this point, Worley or Carlos Davis (who was average at best in college) can fill the NT position. They might have 2 guys at the tackle position but neither have proven the ability to start at LT and with all do respect to Banner he hasn't proven anything at all. 

I get that they're building in the 'false hope' of winning a SB with Ben but when he is gone next offseason, this team looks to have a lot more holes, luckily also a lot more cap space. 

1 hour ago, 43M said:

RB, C and NT are arguably the most glaring holes right now.    We have no one at those positions right now.

They’ll draft a Center plus they view Finney as a stopgap but I still think they sign another outside FA to fill a spot....hell save for DE, every other position on defense needs depth behind the starters.

32 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You know... you're probably right but apparently unlike the coaches and GM I'm willing to admit the flaws of this team. NOTHING has shown, to this point, Worley or Carlos Davis (who was average at best in college) can fill the NT position.

I'm personally pretty worried about the run defense , especially with the Browns and Ravens being in the division, but it's less about the NT spot and more about Highsmith and the loss of Hilton plus the lack of an experienced LB next to Bush. The reality of the NFL these days is you spend more time in subpackages than you do your base defense, obviously.

35 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

but neither have proven the ability to start at LT and with all do respect to Banner he hasn't proven anything at all. 

This is, but all accounts, a strong tackle class. So here's hoping they can find someone capable of stepping in right away in the first three picks. It's a tall task to find a RB, C, and LT in your first three picks. I get that. But that's the position they're in.

I'd personally go LT in R1 like the Bucs did last year. Center in either rounds 2 or 3. It's possible one of the top prospects is still there in the third. Hopefully Canada can change up how they draft the RB position because I don't want to have to use a first to get the guy. Etienne would be my own pick if they do go first round RB.

I'm personally hoping Canada gets them to change their approach to the RB position and run game in general. Because they need to stop with the Benny Snell's of the world and their track record drafting at the position has kind of sucked under the Tombert regime. They need a new set of eyes when evaluating that position as well as schematic shift.

8 hours ago, AFF said:

They’ll draft a Center plus they view Finney as a stopgap but I still think they sign another outside FA to fill a spot....hell save for DE, every other position on defense needs depth behind the starters.

I think they definitely see Finney as the stopgap answer and we don’t forget they have Hausennauer there too. 

Banner got paid well. So I do think, in their eyes, OT moves down the board as well. 

It’s like I said a few weeks ago, they seem to be putting themselves in a spot that they are comfortable with what they have so they don’t have to take those positions high. So pulling back to my statement: People gonna be mad when the 1st pick is a RB. 

IMO this draft is gonna go:

Rd 1 - RB

Rd 2 - OL

Rd 3 - Defense

Rd 4 - Defense

Fill out with late round OL, WR, TE

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think they definitely see Finney as the stopgap answer and we don’t forget they have Hausennauer there too. 

Banner got paid well. So I do think, in their eyes, OT moves down the board as well. 

It’s like I said a few weeks ago, they seem to be putting themselves in a spot that they are comfortable with what they have so they don’t have to take those positions high. So pulling back to my statement: People gonna be mad when the 1st pick is a RB. 

Rd 1 - RB

Rd 2 - OL

Rd 3 - Defense

Rd 4 - Defense

I have already penciled Etienne in that first slot.  I highly doubt anyone jumps them to get him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Rd 1 - RB

Rd 2 - OL

Rd 3 - Defense

Rd 4 - Defense

Yea I definitely think the 1st 2 rounds as of now is RB/OL with Center most likely at OL...

With their 3 picks between rds 3 and 4 I’m guessing a Edge/DB/OT in some order.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

that last part tells me teams are not looking at Juju as a number 1 WR...

I honestly think teams thought the top of the market was going to be so pricy they rather get a tier 2/3 guy with a slight overpay and use the draft for the long term solution.