Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Right?

Hes hoping the cap goes up a decent amount next year which may or may not happen.

Pretty much.  Meanwhile the rest of the team is taking major hits.  Kinda seeing the cost of keeping Ben and keeping him healthy.  FA mass exodus, cuts to key snaps, keeping replaceable players.

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm hoping for a 3rd and 6th or a 4th and at least 

That be nice but I’m not counting on it.

Hes in last year of deal so I’m guessing they would want an extension done...not sure what the FA market looks like for CBs.

Just now, DaRealTitletown said:

Even if the cap doesn’t go way up next year, the Steelers have a lot of money coming off the books. Money for Juju, Washington walks, money for TJ and Minkah and others

Even if the cap stays at exactly the same for next year, the Steelers have the most cap space in NFL at roughly $95-$100 mill.

Just now, AFF said:

Even if the cap stays at exactly the same for next year, the Steelers have the most cap space in NFL at roughly $95-$100 mill.

Not really with top 51 holds, voidable years accelerating, TJ extension, Minkah extension, and any more resturctures.

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Then why a 1 year deal? lol

"Let's see what the market rate is next year before deciding what I want in a cap depresses offseason before signing my prime away for peanuts"

That's my guess. Especially if they are doing voidable years, I would imagine this is to buy time for a more reasonable extension -- both for him and for us. 

Just now, AFF said:

That’s my point. That’s gotta be what Steelers sold him on. Hey you love it here, we love you and you help us financially this year we can take care of you even better next year...

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

"Let's see what the market rate is next year before deciding what I want in a cap depresses offseason before signing my prime away for peanuts"

That's my guess. Especially if they are doing voidable years, I would imagine this is to buy time for a more reasonable extension -- both for him and for us. 

1 minute ago, DaRealTitletown said:

That’s my point. That’s gotta be what Steelers sold him on. Hey you love it here, we love you and you help us financially this year we can take care of you even better next year...

SD had a good write up out there that he could have $16mil AAV and a $7mil cap hit this year.  Unless there's voidable years he's costing more than if he did a longer term deal.

Just now, warfelg said:

Not really with top 51 holds, voidable years accelerating, TJ extension, Minkah extension, and any more resturctures.

I glanced at over the cap and I didn’t see if they included the Wormley/Banner/Sutton deals but even then that’s only roughly $12-15 mill with easy outs if necessary.

Ther had cap at $203 mill with Steelers having IIRC $118 mill in cap room.

The Minkah and Watt deals will eat into that but even if they front loaded deals somewhat and they’re 1st year cap hits are $20’mill each that leaves $50+ mill in cap room.

Just now, AFF said:

I glanced at over the cap and I didn’t see if they included the Wormley/Banner/Sutton deals but even then that’s only roughly $12-15 mill with easy outs if necessary.

Ther had cap at $203 mill with Steelers having IIRC $118 mill in cap room.

The Minkah and Watt deals will eat into that but even if they front loaded deals somewhat and they’re 1st year cap hits are $20’mill each that leaves $50+ mill in cap room.

We're gonne end up with about $35-40mil of usable room.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Unless there's voidable years

I would guess there is. 

Its in the Steelers best interests to have a long term deal during this low pay off-season for receivers, but its in JuJu's best interest to wait. Just like with Cam Sutton, I would guess that they have interest in voidable years because they have interest in that player remaining on the roster even after the contract voids, so those dead cap hits are never really dead. 

If they went $8M straight up with JuJu on a one year hit....god bless us all.