Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

It would be the dumbest decision if they are just straight choosing Nelson vs. Haden. 

"Granting Nelson Permission to seek a trade" makes me believe this is Nelson's decision....not the teams. 

I just saw a tweet that said we were going to cut him or trade him. I think this was the team's call.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I just saw a tweet that said we were going to cut him or trade him. I think this was the team's call.

It may be now...

But do you think the Team woke up and said Yup, Nelson needs cut today....or do you think it was brought on by something?

Why would they cut Nelson on day 3 of the new league year when they had to get cap compliant before this point? It doesnt make sense they choose to do this now. Something spurred it. They have already shown willingness to get creative with cap -- even small numbers like Suttons. 

Why would they CHOOSE to cut Nelson out of the blue when theres 1,000 of other options to run through first? 

My idea: They want to talk with Nelson about extension. Nelson wants to be paid top dollar, Steelers see a more average CB number -- therefore it sparked conflict. Big cap hit, one year deal, and no potential future resolution -- go find a trade for us. 

I need someone to talk me off the ledge here. I'm thrilled to have Juju back. Having said that, we have lost Dupree, Williams, Feiler, Hilton, McDonald, Pouncey, Alualu (a couple of those to retirement obviously).

Some of those guys we expected to lose, some, we didn't. So what can we do moving forward to stay in competition for the division? Right now I'm not seeing it.

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

My idea: They want to talk with Nelson about extension. Nelson wants to be paid top dollar, Steelers see a more average CB number -- therefore it sparked conflict. Big cap hit, one year deal, and no potential future resolution -- go find a trade for us. 

Not a bad hypothesis. I think you may be correct. He kind of forced his way out of KC. Who knows?

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I need someone to talk me off the ledge here. I'm thrilled to have Juju back. Having said that, we have lost Dupree, Williams, Feiler, Hilton, McDonald, Pouncey, Alualu (a couple of those to retirement obviously).

Some of those guys we expected to lose, some, we didn't. So what can we do moving forward to stay in competition for the division? Right now I'm not seeing it.

I don't see them competing this year truly. Even during the win streak last year, I was never sold. I kept thinking the offense was going to click and it never did. It feels like we've been waiting for the thing to click for the last 6 years. We could compete, but IMO it's unlikely. We'd need to hit this draft out of the park like last years. We need to draft starters at multiple positions to be contenders. I don't see us getting that lucky again. I had hopes at the beginning of the offseason, but the moves we've made have not strengthened that hope. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't see them competing this year truly. Even during the win streak last year, I was never sold. I kept thinking the offense was going to click and it never did. It feels like we've been waiting for the thing to click for the last 6 years. We could compete, but IMO it's unlikely. We'd need to hit this draft out of the park like last years. We need to draft starters at multiple positions to be contenders. I don't see us getting that lucky again. I had hopes at the beginning of the offseason, but the moves we've made have not strengthened that hope. 

If it goes south I'll be honest I hope it goes south enough for us to get a top QB in 2022

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

This isn't going to walk anyone off a ledge but.....

Dupree -- Save $15M/year (will be big moving forward) with Highsmith
Williams -- Spillane, not much fallout at a better cost
Feiler -- Banner, better cost and higher ceiling
McDonald -- McDonald
Pouncey -- Needed to move on regardless. BJ Finney is fine, needed to draft replacement regardless
Alualu - 34, 30% player. It's probably not as significant as it's made out. 

Hilton is really they only one I don't have a great explanation for. All the others ones make sense. Hilton was a pretty solid piece to the puzzle and didn't break the bank on his way out. 

In terms of competition -- its the total parts missing that makes the challenge. Looking at them as one off pieces, I really don't think its that bad. But losing Dupree, Hilton, Alualu all in the same off-season I think feels worse than it is. Feiler isn't a big loss, but tag him with the rest and it feels big. 

Dupree and Hilton were the best players we had that moved on....and by a lot of different metrics, both are just average....Same can be said for Feiler, Williams, and McDonald -- probably Pouncey too. 

TLDR Version: The players we lost, we have cheaper, suitable replacements that might have higher ceilings already on the roster. That money saved helps us next year and the year after. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dcash4 said:

This isn't going to walk anyone off a ledge but.....

Dupree -- Save $15M/year (will be big moving forward) with Highsmith
Williams -- Spillane, not much fallout at a better cost
Feiler -- Banner, better cost and higher ceiling
McDonald -- McDonald
Pouncey -- Needed to move on regardless. BJ Finney is fine, needed to draft replacement regardless
Alualu - 34, 30% player. It's probably not as significant as it's made out. 

Hilton is really they only one I don't have a great explanation for. All the others ones make sense. Hilton was a pretty solid piece to the puzzle and didn't break the bank on his way out. 

In terms of competition -- its the total parts missing that makes the challenge. Looking at them as one off pieces, I really don't think its that bad. But losing Dupree, Hilton, Alualu all in the same off-season I think feels worse than it is. Feiler isn't a big loss, but tag him with the rest and it feels big. 

Dupree and Hilton were the best players we had that moved on....and by a lot of different metrics, both are just average....Same can be said for Feiler, Williams, and McDonald -- probably Pouncey too. 

TLDR Version: The players we lost, we have cheaper, suitable replacements that might have higher ceilings already on the roster. That money saved helps us next year and the year after. 

Good write and I read it all.

I wonder what this does to the WR room going forward. I think the plan is to sign Juju long term next yr when we have the money. JW will walk and Johnson will walk after his rookie deal is up. too early to say on claypool, but he obv had a impressive start to his career

Edited by August4th

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

I wonder what this does to the WR room going forward. I think the plan is to sign Juju long term next yr when we have the money. JW will walk and Johnson will walk after his rookie deal is up. too early to say on claypool, but he obv had a impressive start to his career

I think this year is supremely important for Johnson. He has shown such great skill to be a top quality receiver in the league, but that comes with just piles and piles of bad. 

If he can use last years downs to help correct his mental issues with the game, skys the limit. But if we see a lot of the same mental problems that plagued his first two years then he absolutely walks. 

I agree on JuJu's long term outlook. IMO he is the only one I feel confident about routinely producing....but part of that is also because that was Claypools first year. 

31 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

I don't think they get anything for nelson , nobody is giving a pick + a new contract for nelson after they know Pitt has to cut him

unfortunately they'll just have to cut him

Do they? I’m not a cap guy but I didn’t think we could sign JuJu if it put us over the cap. That means if Nelson isn’t cut before Juju signs we wouldn’t have to cut him to hit the $$. Maybe one of the cap guys here can verify?

Steven Nelson posted on his Twitter "Blessing in Disguise".

I'm getting the vibe he isn't happy here and can't wait to get out of town. Thing is, if he gets cut he likely ends up having to take a 1 year contract for less money elsewhere. It's actually a stupid move on Nelson's part. Having said that, if he doesn't wanna be here, then good riddance