Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

3 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

I think the wildcard is the QB position... basically Mac Jones 

If he's there do they feel he's a QB of the future especially with a year to sit 

It'd be nice to have a young guy with upside ok the roster to be excited about

I could only imagine the hissy fit Ben throws.

4 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

I think the wildcard is the QB position... basically Mac Jones 

If he's there do they feel he's a QB of the future especially with a year to sit 

It'd be nice to have a young guy with upside ok the roster to be excited about

The only situation we take a QB is if Lance or Fields slide down to the low teens for whatever reason and we trade up. Most reports say they want to give Mason the first crack at replacing Ben.

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

The only situation we take a QB is if Lance or Fields slide down to the low teens for whatever reason and we trade up. Most reports say they want to give Mason the first crack at replacing Ben.

That's unfortunate... Even with Rudolph I see the defense being good enough to be around 8-8 so we'll be stuck mid pack trying to hope a QB falls , or I guess it'd be cheaper to trade up to get one

Unless someone falls further then expected, I’d rather just load up the offense for the incoming QB...save for WR, you can go any other spot on offense.

What I think they do is get a RB and 1 OL piece by end of day 2, and throw another pick at Offense with one of their 2 4ths.

A rough idea?

1)RB...2)OC...3)Edge...4a)OT...4b) CB

Fill in NT/#2TE/S depth will low level signings and a Nick Vannet like late summer trade .

Edited by AFF

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Unless someone falls further then expected, I’d rather just load up the offense for the incoming QB...save for WR, you can go any other spot on offense.

What I think they do is get a RB and 1 OL piece by end of day 2, and throw another pick at Offense with one of their 2 4ths.

A rough idea?

1)RB...2)OC...3)Edge...4a)OT...4b) CB

Fill in NT/#2TE/S depth will low level signings and a Nick Vannet like late summer trade .

With haeg I think OT is a Rd 6 or 7 , he's a much better backup tackle then guard. 

But I'm with you 

1 RB / Edge 

2 RB/Edge 

3 Center 

4 TE 

4 bpa

12 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

1 RB / Edge 

2 RB/Edge 

I don't see Edge being near as important to take as this. 

Highsmith is the Starter with TJ and I fully expect either Ola to circle back for depth or someone of that magnitude. 

I would absolutely love more depth there, but its not worth a first or second at this point, IMO, unless some stupid TJ-like value falls. 

16 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't see Edge being near as important to take as this. 

Highsmith is the Starter with TJ and I fully expect either Ola to circle back for depth or someone of that magnitude. 

I would absolutely love more depth there, but its not worth a first or second at this point, IMO, unless some stupid TJ-like value falls. 

Based on their pro day tours 

Azeez olajari Rd 1 

Ronnie Perkins / and Joseph Ossai Rd 2 

They seem to be doing their homework on Rd 1/2 prospects ... Of course that's not be all end all but they seem to think that 3rd pass rusher is pretty important and I'd agree 

hahah as soon as I say "Ola" as an example he signs with the Titans. 

5 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

They seem to be doing their homework on Rd 1/2 prospects ... Of course that's not be all end all but they seem to think that 3rd pass rusher is pretty important and I'd agree 

Due diligence is still necessary because we don't know how anything will fall. I agree that the 3rd rusher is important, but Passing up a T, C, TE, RB, ILB, NT, where we have immediate need for quality snaps or even CB, QB where our future is bleak so you can take a (less than) 20%er would be a massive miss. 

45 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

hahah as soon as I say "Ola" as an example he signs with the Titans. 

I was coming in to post that exact news. Lol. 

It’s kinda funny to me that these teams signing our FAs are the same ones that a fan on another site I belong to were telling me how overrated they are. 

As an individual player some of these guys (Hilton, Dupree) are overrated. But as a unit, their skill sets really complemented each other. I wouldn’t be shocked if Dupree and/or Hilton and/or Feiler end up cut after 2 years. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

As an individual player some of these guys (Hilton, Dupree) are overrated. But as a unit, their skill sets really complemented each other. I wouldn’t be shocked if Dupree and/or Hilton and/or Feiler end up cut after 2 years.

Very much this. Very, very much this. 

None are studs and were really strong fits for how we played and who they played by. That stuff changes after you put a real price tag on peoples heads and venture away from home. Fieler is now a top 15 paid RT, Hilton a top 3 NCB, Dupree a top 12 Edge. Good players who have to live up to those paydays now, and being average doesnt cut top paid. 

If Tennessee wants their pass rush out of their $16.5M, they are going to be disappointed. If the Bengals wanna man up and play shoot outs with their $6M nickel, they are going to be disappointed. 

That's always the difficult part about free agency for teams -- trying not to project what guys CAN be and evaluating what they are. If they looked at Hilton and said we love the run game and blitzing, but we can make him a cover guy too - that guy gets cut in 2 years because he doesn't fit. When guys are studs at certain things and they do them over and over again, it's usually the in-house team telling you what they can and cannot do, not that team missing an opportunity to use a guy with an expanded role. The Steelers started to take Hilton off the field for Sutton in obvious passing downs....that's the telling feature we will see play out. 

• Like 1

Cardinals GM Steve Keim gave a strong endorsement of Chase Edmonds today. I think you can cross them off the list as potential landing spots for Harris or Etienne.

Miami could look at Harris at 18 but I don’t buy them taking a RB in round 1. Gaskin had a good season for them last year and they passed on RB over and over again last draft.

That leaves the NYJ. Unless someone hops both us and the Jets to take one of them of course.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Cardinals GM Steve Keim gave a strong endorsement of Chase Edmonds today. I think you can cross them off the list as potential landing spots for Harris or Etienne.

Miami could look at Harris at 18 but I don’t buy them taking a RB in round 1. Gaskin had a good season for them last year and they passed on RB over and over again last draft.

That leaves the NYJ. Unless someone hops both us and the Jets to take one of them of course.

I could see that happening, I could see Miami taking someone else at 18 then trading back up to get Harris.

• Like 1

The football player Dupree has become is being undervalued around here. Is he worth quite what Tennessee paid? No, but it's not far off market value. He's a better football player than Judon who the Pats gave $13 mil a year. Better pass rusher, too.

He became a legit blue chip player and he's a top 15 pass rusher in this league even without Watt. He can cover for a guy his size and he can play the run well. But people are comparing him to a guy like Clowney who has never even sniffed his sort of production as a pass rusher.

Even with Watt, Dupree wasn't beating backs and TE's for his sacks. He was beating RT's on a consistent basis.

He's the best FA this team has lost in a very long time. I'm sure as hell more worried about his loss than I ever was Leveon Bell's.

And I'm not a believer in things like pass rush win rate and arbitrary measures of hurries from sites like PFF. Highsmith wasn't bad for a 3rd round rookie, but he wasn't there as a pass rusher and he wasn't there in the other facets of his game, either. He'd be the best depth option this team would have had in a while if they kept Dupree, but there's going to be a drop off especially in the ground game.

Edited by CKSteeler
  • Like 1