Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Would be just peak 10’s Steelers to see ownership saying there’s something that needs to be fixed and the only OL change is LG...who played a bunch anyways. 

I'm feeling more of a 00's Steelers mentality on signing absolute hot garbage to play interior O-line positions lol

25 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if Pouncey unretires during TC? I can't for the life of me think of how we can go into the season with Finney or JC Hassenauer as our potential starters at such an important position. 

They’re not...they’ll have a new RB and Center by end of Round 3.

Now unless someone falls I don’t think they grab an OT til day 3. With Chuks in last year of deal, I’m guessing they draft a size/athletic project and see if they can groom him for a year.

Something like...

1)RB...2)Center...3)CB...4a)ILB...4b)OT

I still think they sign a vet CB and TE.

I still think Samuel and Penn st TE (going to butcher spelling) are sneaky possibilities in the 1st.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if Pouncey unretires during TC? I can't for the life of me think of how we can go into the season with Finney or JC Hassenauer as our potential starters at such an important position. 

I posted this idea a few days ago, Kaboly mentioned it in an article and I can definitely see it happening. If we don’t address C in the first two rounds, it will be because they believe Pouncey is coming back.

• Like 1

I'm concerned that we are going into the draft with such a gaping need. Every team knows we have Finney as our starter and will actively work to get ahead of us if they need a Center. I mean, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Finney will be better than he ever has been and can actually start at an average level, because I certainly don't trust a rookie Center(if we actually are trying to compete) at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm concerned that we are going into the draft with such a gaping need. Every team knows we have Finney as our starter and will actively work to get ahead of us if they need a Center. I mean, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Finney will be better than he ever has been and can actually start at an average level, because I certainly don't trust a rookie Center(if we actually are trying to compete) at all. 

I agree and no one else who needs a C is gonna let Humphrey fall to us in the 2nd round. We would have to take him in the 1st

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Interesting...I wanted him BAD in the 2016 draft. Not the biggest area of need though, and he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Maybe they try to convert him to the slot like Lamarcus Joyner?

They have no S depth with Sean Davis still unsigned...I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

• Like 2

Total guess work on my part, but I wonder if they didn't resign Hilton because they believe they can fill that void via a time share. Maybe Karl Joseph helps in that regard too. 

Hilton was more 3rd safety than CB -- even going so far as to remove him as the NCB in place of Sutton in coverage specific situations, but also having him in the SS role at times in place of Edmunds in base. 

If they think that they can play a variety of people in that nickel corner role for half the downs with (Allen, Brooks, Karl Joseph, etc) in the big nickel and then move Sutton to the slot in on passing downs with Pierre/Layne coming on -- maybe they don't see it as a huge hole. 

I am not sure how I feel about it, but I could at least get the idea of it and see us not pressing come draft time. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Total guess work on my part, but I wonder if they didn't resign Hilton because they believe they can fill that void via a time share. Maybe Karl Joseph helps in that regard too. 

Hilton was more 3rd safety than CB -- even going so far as to remove him as the NCB in place of Sutton in coverage specific situations, but also having him in the SS role at times in place of Edmunds in base. 

If they think that they can play a variety of people in that nickel corner role for half the downs with (Allen, Brooks, Karl Joseph, etc) in the big nickel and then move Sutton to the slot in on passing downs with Pierre/Layne coming on -- maybe they don't see it as a huge hole. 

I am not sure how I feel about it, but I could at least get the idea of it and see us not pressing come draft time. 

Good post, you might be on to something. Other than the pass rush, one of the things that has made our defense so lethal the past two years is position flexibility. 

• Like 2