Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

44 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think they will target Etienne and the Jets will swoop in and grab him at pick#23.

JOK is going to be a better ILB sooner than Parson or Browning but the later two will be better IF they learn to read defenses.

Browning has all the physical traits you look for. He has infinite potential. Unfortunately that whole learning to read defenses thing is pretty make or break. 

51 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

@bigben07MVP do you have any takes on Asante Samuel Jr as a FSU fan? Any draftniks want to weigh in? I get the vibe he's the guy we're looking at with #24. SD's scouting report said he was a zone guy that will take the ball away. Can he play man at a high level?

With his athleticism and the skills he put on display at the combine I wouldn't have an issue testing him out in man.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

@bigben07MVP do you have any takes on Asante Samuel Jr as a FSU fan? Any draftniks want to weigh in? I get the vibe he's the guy we're looking at with #24. SD's scouting report said he was a zone guy that will take the ball away. Can he play man at a high level?

Here is my take on ASJ from a few pages back.

I’m mostly against drafting defense in the first but I could definitely live with ASJ. One thing to note on him is FSU mostly had a non-existent pass rush his entire career. He’s undersized but is a dog and he could play in the slot until Haden retires. Not afraid to hit and very very sticky in coverage. He had 3 picks in the first 3 games last year and then teams just started completely avoiding him. 

I would be ok with him at 24, he has a lot of things going in favor. Tombert at Pro Day, power 5 school, underclassman, NFL bloodlines. The way he plays the game actually reminds me of Joe Haden a little bit. It's pretty clear the plan for opposite Haden is Sutton (unless it's not?), so do they think he can play nickel until Haden is gone? If not, I don't see the value of taking corner in the 1st with the holes at RB and C. 

Edit: To answer your question, yes I definitely think he can succeed in both man and zone. He straight up locked down opposing WR1s to the point where QBs wouldn't look his way, especially the 2nd half of last season. And he was not surrounded by great talent or as previously mentioned an even decent pass rush. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

While I think the Steelers will sign a vet or 2 after the draft for holes that don’t get filled, I still think they grab a guy before the draft.

Some guys aren’t going to want to risk losing out on a contract due to the incoming rookie class.

While they have obvious holes at RB/C/CB...#2 TE is another obvious one.

I know it’s cliche but I’d sign Jesse James to be the #2 and then when Ebron leaves in FA, he can be the stopgap guy for 2022.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I know it’s cliche but I’d sign Jesse James to be the #2 and then when Ebron leaves in FA, he can be the stopgap guy for 2022.

I would love Jesse James back, but IMO, if it hasn't happened by now, it';s not going to. He was cut so he wouldn't count against any comp picks and his price point has to be bottom of the barrel already. I honestly thought he was a home run of a free agent to sign and feel pretty good about the roster as is, if needed...but seems they don't think its going to be difficult to meet JJ's floor and surpass his ceiling. 

Kinda bummed he isn't back.

35 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I would love Jesse James back, but IMO, if it hasn't happened by now, it';s not going to. He was cut so he wouldn't count against any comp picks and his price point has to be bottom of the barrel already. I honestly thought he was a home run of a free agent to sign and feel pretty good about the roster as is, if needed...but seems they don't think its going to be difficult to meet JJ's floor and surpass his ceiling. 

Kinda bummed he isn't back.

I think they're waiting until after the draft to sign him. I still think he's very much in play to be on the roster next year. If they don't get a guy they feel comfortable with in the draft they'll sign him. They might really like what they see in Rader and Gentry. It does usually take a TE awhile to get the feel for the game. Gentry is going into his 3rd(?) season and was raw as it gets as a prospect. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think they're waiting until after the draft to sign him.

But why? It doesn't have anything to do with financials or comp picks....so why wouldn't you feel more comfortable about checking that box before the draft. At worse you draft someone and he battles for the #3 spot. 

Maybe it's Jesse who isn't signing for a reason. But I thought he woulda been a BJ Finney style done deal. The fact is wasn't makes me think it's not happening.