2020 Divisional: #6 Cleveland Browns vs. #1 KC Chiefs

MWil23

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

that tweet, if anything, strengthens the argument for using DVOA...

Chiefs beating 4 out of the 6 teams ranked above them,  on the road.   Makes me pause greatly.   Who knows maybe it is good,  that’s just really eye catching 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

that tweet, if anything, strengthens the argument for using DVOA...

So you agree that KC should get a lower ranking, dropping two places, for playing their backups in a meaningless week 17 game?

interesting argument for sure 

2 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Chiefs beating 4 out of the 6 teams ranked above them,  on the road.   Makes me pause greatly.   Who knows maybe it is good,  that’s just really eye catching 

If you accept the caveat (as every reasonable person would), the Chiefs are behind 3 such teams: TB, NO and BUF. They were all close games, it's not unreasonable that all those teams are on the same tier, separated by very little. DVOA isn't predictive, it simply is a snapshot of what happened. All those teams are capable of beating each other any day. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

If you accept the caveat (as every reasonable person would), the Chiefs are behind 3 such teams: TB, NO and BUF. They were all close games, it's not unreasonable that all those teams are on the same tier, separated by very little. DVOA isn't predictive, it simply is a snapshot of what happened. All those teams are capable of beating each other any day. 

Yet the Chiefs won, each time on the road. It’s not like they split the difference, which statistically would make sense. But each one lost to the Chiefs, a couple were blown out. The others had huge deficits to overcome and pulled it in close at the end.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Fair enough.

I’m just stating,  stats are stats.  And the fact they are ranked below multiple teams that they beat on the road,  makes it questionable.  It can take all the stats it wants,  but it can’t account for game situations,   Which was my original point in that KC is not that bad against the run,  they are constantly in positions where they don’t care if the opponent drains the clock with long possessions.  

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah it said KC would go up to top 5 if you take out week 17, but still according to their rankings they’re only 7th

DVOA isn't predictive, it simply is a snapshot of what happened.

Week 17 happened, and they said "hey, this is what actually happened but obviously there's a caveat here." They are literally telling the reader what the Chiefs rank would be if you ignore that game...What more do you want lol

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

this is actually the biggest strength of DVOA because it does EXACTLY this

So it accounts for a defense giving up 4-5 yards a pop in the 2nd half with a two possession lead and being okay with that?  

just wondering 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Reasonable, but Hunt could have survived what was on the video if he was the one bringing it forward. You're right that videos get public impact, but the one in Hunt's case was relatively tame.  

Cleveland's two headed rushing attack is potent, but its 50 yards per game shy of Baltimore, who the Chiefs played. The Ravens had 158 yards, 33 short of their average, and 97 yards were by Lamar Jackson. Don't kid yourself that Chubb is on Henry's level. He's good but not that good. The Chiefs defense improved six positions in Y/G rankings compared to last season. It's hard to make the case that it is similar to last year, much less that it is worse. I see that you argue DVOA, but that's weak. 

The bottom line is that the Chiefs defense and the Browns offense are both right in the middle of the league. it will be interesting how things go when Cleveland has the ball. The Browns defense very comparable to their offense, but the Chiefs offense is a bit better. 

Ha. Chubb is better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

Agree,   I hate this matchup.   I wanted to play the Ravens.

Eh, I wouldn't be too worried as a Chiefs fan. If our offense plays as well as it's capable of we might be able to make this a good game, but our offense isn't 100% consistent. And your offense will lit up our defense, which has made QBs like Mike Glennon look competent.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

DVOA isn't predictive, it simply is a snapshot of what happened.

Week 17 happened, and they said "hey, this is what actually happened but obviously there's a caveat here." They are literally telling the reader what the Chiefs rank would be if you ignore that game...What more do you want lol

Through a tweet from some random FO guy. Because that’s where I get my statistical information.