Playoffs - Divisional Round

Leader

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I view Lamar Jackson as a slightly more accurate Michael Vick.  I don't think the book is written, but I think Baltimore has a critical decision to make.  When watching them play, Lamar has one read then he runs.  Lamar looks extremely uncomfortable in the pocket, and gets away with it sometimes by purely out athlete-ing his opponents.  Is that not Michael Vick? Especially pre-Andy Reid, Michael Vick? I don't think you can pay that guy, if something else doesn't change.  *Either the OC/QB coach can't get what they really need out of Lamar,* or Lamar simply can't process defenses like the top QBs.  Something has to give.  IMO, you go with Lamar and new philosophy, but that could really bite them.  Look at how the Goff and Wentz contracts worked out.  You can't just pay top QB money because it is his turn and he is not a complete bust.  

For reference here are Lamar and Vick's stats:  

Lamar:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackLa00.htm

Vick:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00.htm

Most notably, look at their playoff numbers when the competition really ramps up.

Lamar had an amazing season in 2019.  He had 36 passing TDs to 6 INTs, and added 7 more rushing TDs.  His passing yardage was only 3100 yards but he rushed for 1200 more.  The Ravens also had a formidable ground game outside of Lamar, with an additional 2000 yards on the ground, so it isn't like he needed to be Stafford and throw for 5k yards.  It is obvious that the building blocks are all there.  But can the team (Lamar and the staff) put it all together?  I honestly have my doubts.  

[edit]*blue text meaning that the coaching staff is incapable of elevating the play of the QB through their own shortcomings, not the fault of Lamar Jackson.

Vick had basically 4 years of relevance in Atlanta, 02, 04, 05, and 06. The offense was 5th, 19th, 14th, and 21st in points per drive. 

Jackson has had 2 relevant years in 19 and 20. The Ravens finished 1st and 9th.

There's really no comparison between the two. Even in the regular season Vick wasn't looking like the engine of a successful offense. 

Jackson is proving to be that. 

It's also not fair to talk about the rushing game outside of Jackson without remarking that there ability to run so efficiently is greatly aided by Jackson pulling a defender on every snap. 

LaFleur generally has to burn a skill player on a jet motion to get that same effect. 

The loss of productivity this year isn't defenses figuring out Jackson. It's losing two legitimate studs on the line in Yanda and Stanley. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Vick had basically 4 years of relevance in Atlanta, 02, 04, 05, and 06. The offense was 5th, 19th, 14th, and 21st in points per drive. 

Jackson has had 2 relevant years in 19 and 20. The Ravens finished 1st and 9th.

There's really no comparison between the two. Even in the regular season Vick wasn't looking like the engine of a successful offense. 

Jackson is proving to be that. 

It's also not fair to talk about the rushing game outside of Jackson without remarking that there ability to run so efficiently is greatly aided by Jackson pulling a defender on every snap. 

LaFleur generally has to burn a skill player on a jet motion to get that same effect. 

The loss of productivity this year isn't defenses figuring out Jackson. It's losing two legitimate studs on the line in Yanda and Stanley. 

Vick wasn't as big as Jackson is either. Vick's game was blinding speed and juke moves. Jackson's not afraid to draw contact and has a more accurate arm. Not to mention that Vick had far better receivers except for MAYBE TE and you could have a legitimate debate as to who was better, Crumpler or Andrews.

Edited by Joe

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Worst rule in the NFL right there

For all of the rule changes the NFL has been willing to make, why that fumble/touch back rule remains unchanged I'll never understand.  More than just the NFL, It may be the worst rule in all of sports.  I truly do not understand the thought process behind giving the ball to the defense in that scenario.

• Like 1