Who Say No? Hypothetical Wizards/Pelicans Trade

MKnight82

Who Says No?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Pelicans or Wizards?

• Pelicans
    • Wizards

On 1/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, amac said:

It's pretty fair value although I would hope we could keep Kira. But I could see us as a contender next year after Zion has had a full season to develop with Beal, Ingram, Zion, Adams

It's horrible value for the Wizards, they'd be giving up arguably the best scorer in the league for guys that aren't even in your rotation and late 1st round picks. 

• Like 1

This is just a bad trade. Especially when the Nuggets could just offer MPJ + other assests. MPJ is instantly better than anything the Pelicans could put on the table save Zion and Ingram.  

For the deal to make sense for Washington, the Pelicans would need to add nearly every first they just acquired in the last two off-seasons plus a few of their own. The deal would probably be,

Lonzo, Kira, Hayes, 2021 NOP First, 2022 Lakers' Pick (Since the Lakers aren't picking 1-7 in 2021 this pick turns to a 2022 1st), 2023 1st (More Favorable between Lakers' and Pelicans' picks), 2024 Lakers' Pick, and the 2025 Bucks Pick. 

Even then Lonzo is playing like a negative asset right now, and will probably play worse with Westbrook. Kira isn't even in the rotation, and Hayes is looking more and more like a bust with each game he can't get on the floor. So then you have what amounts to five late round picks (Cause Beal, Ingram, Zion is at least a top6 team in the West imo). It would still be a meh trade for Washington, and MPJ would still outclass every one of those assests alone. 

Edited by YogiBiz

On 1/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, indifference said:

0% chance Beal is traded without getting BI or Zion back.

I mean 0% chance Zion is traded and at this point not a whole lot separates Beal from Ingram. I'd take Ingrams upside moving forward. 

Value wise I think the trade is okay, Wizards probably would like to get more but I'm not sure who's offering up more upside than that.

21 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

This is just a bad trade. Especially when the Nuggets could just offer MPJ + other assests. MPJ is instantly better than anything the Pelicans could put on the table save Zion and Ingram.  

For the deal to make sense for Washington, the Pelicans would need to add nearly every first they just acquired in the last two off-seasons plus a few of their own. The deal would probably be,

Lonzo, Kira, Hayes, 2021 NOP First, 2022 Lakers' Pick (Since the Lakers aren't picking 1-7 in 2021 this pick turns to a 2022 1st), 2023 1st (More Favorable between Lakers' and Pelicans' picks), 2024 Lakers' Pick, and the 2025 Bucks Pick. 

Even then Lonzo is playing like a negative asset right now, and will probably play worse with Westbrook. Kira isn't even in the rotation, and Hayes is looking more and more like a bust with each game he can't get on the floor. So then you have what amounts to five late round picks (Cause Beal, Ingram, Zion is at least a top6 team in the West imo). It would still be a meh trade for Washington, and MPJ would still outclass every one of those assests alone. 

Kira isn't in the rotation because of how deep the Pelicans are at guard, not because he's bad. Hayes has improved and has looked better in his last couple games. Why are people calling a 20 year old a bust, the guy was raw coming out of the draft. The slow development should surprise no one. 

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Kira isn't in the rotation because of how deep the Pelicans are at guard, not because he's bad. Hayes has improved and has looked better in his last couple games. Why are people calling a 20 year old a bust, the guy was raw coming out of the draft. The slow development should surprise no one. 

Beal is arguably the best scorer in the league right now, he's just now entering. his prime at 27, and they have him under contract for 2 more years. If they do move on from him they're going to want a nice haul back. 

A mid 1st round pick, Lewis who hasn't even played, Hayes who looks like a backup C, Ball who's a FA after this season, and Redick who's aging and also a FA after this season... Meh, I don't see how that's even close to fair value for a player of Beal's caliber. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Beal is arguably the best scorer in the league right now, he's just now entering. his prime at 27, and they have him under contract for 2 more years. If they do move on from him they're going to want a nice haul back. 

A mid 1st round pick, Lewis who hasn't even played, Hayes who looks like a backup C, Ball who's a FA after this season, and Redick who's aging and also a FA after this season... Meh, I don't see how that's even close to fair value for a player of Beal's caliber. 

I mean we know why Kira hasn't played, its not because he's bad.  Hayes has a lot of upside, he's just super raw but he's a freakish athlete and has the upside to be a stretch 5 who can protect the rim. As a Utah fan, I thought you'd see the upside in a tall lengthy athletic C who is super raw. I don't think its a crazy haul by any means...but who's actually offering more? Denver might offer MPJ but other than that, what are the better packages?

38 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I mean we know why Kira hasn't played, its not because he's bad.  Hayes has a lot of upside, he's just super raw but he's a freakish athlete and has the upside to be a stretch 5 who can protect the rim. As a Utah fan, I thought you'd see the upside in a tall lengthy athletic C who is super raw. I don't think its a crazy haul by any means...but who's actually offering more? Denver might offer MPJ but other than that, what are the better packages?

I loved Kira as a prospect I just don't think he's that valuable as a trade chip right now. Hayes does have upside but you have to have some questions about him when your front office just made a deal for Steven Adams. If they really believed in Hayes potential would they have made a move for a guy to take his minutes/opportunity to start? 

I don't think Washington is in a position where they have to trade Beal soon. If they do I think they'd seek a better package as he is arguably the best scorer in the entire league right now.