Eagles fire HC Doug Pederson

.Buzz

Why would Daboll want the Eagles job? Half the roster has to be cut, and you have to want Carson Wentz, who played like a bottom 2 QB this year. I'd say this is easily the least desirable HC opening.

I honestly can't believe they fired him. Absolutely the right move, but man. He just won a super bowl a few years ago!

15 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am not massive Howie supporter but this isn't very accurate at all. Chip Kelly was the GM when he got fired. He was the one that trashed the roster. Howie wasn't drafting or making trades, he was just doing the finance side of the business. This is well documented and not some unknown thing.

Pederson wasn't a good coach the past three years, full stop. Our team got worse, players that we drafted played terrible here and went elsewhere and improved, our offense went from one of the best in the NFL to slow, boring, and bad.

I honestly do hope the get rid of Howie, but there is definitely some positives about this team for the next coach. We will have a chance at a QB in the draft and maybe someone thinks they can fix Wentz. We do have talent in important areas and some solid young players. The cap is bad but there are options to deal with it. People saying this job is as bad as the Texans are just wrong. We have assets, even if they are flawed.

The offseason moves by Howie in 2017 rank up there with the 1994 49ers for most impactful leading to a Super Bowl win.

This is Howie's as much as anyone else's:

914349868-super-bowl-lii-philadelphia-ea

Does your guy have one of those? (Royal you, not directed at the quoted)

Edited by SkippyX

As the maker of the most tragic overhyping thread of this years Eagles team.... I feel obligated to weigh in on this.

First, the only thing I'll say that I don't like here is that Pederson is gonna end up being the scapegoat here.

I do think firing him was the right move, but I would've fired Howie Roseman as well. He didn't get the job done drafting. We haven't been as successful in FA since that 2017 offseason that led to the SB. Our training staffs have consistently not been able to keep players healthy and put us right at the bottom of the league for injuries/health. All his restructures and bad moves turned what was a contending window into a huge mess and bleak future.

Only reason Roseman will keep his job is cause the owner Lurie is very close to him and probably even views him almost like a son.

Don't get it twisted though. Pederson definitely while being a great guy and good player coach has failed offensively. At times there is almost no creativity. He couldn't get the screen game right despite having the athletes/OL to do it. His offense was just boring and he would often get away from running the ball despite having one of the best backs in the league. He often times especially early on this season didn't put Wentz in the best positions to succeed. There is a lot. Also, the rumor has always been that he isn't good at coaching his coaches and keeping on them when they are failing to do their job.

Also, Wentz as a player doesn't have as much blame as the HC and GM, even if he did turn into a pumpkin this season. Still he has a lot of blame himself and while the word on Doug was that he wasn't good at managing his coaches.... the word on Wentz from people in the know was that he didn't take to coaching and was stubborn. Maybe if he took to coaching like he did back when Reich and Defilippo were his offensive coordinator and quarterback coach respectively he wouldn't have had to worry about looking over his shoulder at Hurts and could've had a good season with tighter mechanics and a confidence in himself and his abilities, but alas.... that wasn't the case.

I just wanted to blow up the whole thing after this season which is a sentiment I think a lot of other Eagles fans out there hold.

So, there you have it.... a brief synopsis of my thoughts on this situation. 

full

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Why would Daboll want the Eagles job? Half the roster has to be cut, and you have to want Carson Wentz, who played like a bottom 2 QB this year. I'd say this is easily the least desirable HC opening.

I honestly can't believe they fired him. Absolutely the right move, but man. He just won a super bowl a few years ago!

It'll pay well

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am not massive Howie supporter but this isn't very accurate at all. Chip Kelly was the GM when he got fired. He was the one that trashed the roster. Howie wasn't drafting or making trades, he was just doing the finance side of the business. This is well documented and not some unknown thing.

Pederson wasn't a good coach the past three years, full stop. Our team got worse, players that we drafted played terrible here and went elsewhere and improved, our offense went from one of the best in the NFL to slow, boring, and bad.

I honestly do hope the get rid of Howie, but there is definitely some positives about this team for the next coach. We will have a chance at a QB in the draft and maybe someone thinks they can fix Wentz. We do have talent in important areas and some solid young players. The cap is bad but there are options to deal with it. People saying this job is as bad as the Texans are just wrong. We have assets, even if they are flawed.

When it came to Chip, he had final say of the roster but Howie had full control of the finances and the drafting including trades. Which some have debated after the fact once Chip left the blame was solely on him. Maybe you are right maybe he had no say but look at what he brought in and the contracts he has made since 2010. I just dont think you can keep Howie around. If you are willing to let Pederson go I think it is in your best interest to let him go too. This may be more appealing for the new HC as he has outlasted a few HCs that are leaving on bad notes.You cant move on from Wentz its just not financially feasible for the next couple of years. Drafting a qb this year will not solve the oline or weapons on offense so I do not see the 3/4th qb taken off of the draft board an upgrade to what you currently have. Howie not only gave Wentz a ton of money but used all that draft capital to move up in order to get him which cost them talent to build around. Alshon is injury prone and never healthy, Djax is going to be older, Raeger I liked a bit of what he has done but uninspiring Fulghram has exceeded expectations. Ertz is on his last year seeking a new deal, so my guess is he is gone especially if you want to keep goedert. I just dont see the appeal to this job over the Jags or Chargers at the moment. It reminds me of a poor mans Atlanta job but in an easier division. If you look at the overall team I dont see any reason why howie deserves to be there. He has been with the organization as GM/ VIce President since 2010 it should be time to start fresh new gm and hc to help get Wentz back on track and build him an offense he can last in.

2017 Eagles playoff TDs

• Blount (FA signed by Howie)
  • Patrick Robinson (FA signed by Howie)
  • Blount (FA signed by Howie)
  • Jeffrey (FA signed by Howie)
  • Torey Smith (UFA signed by Howie)
  • Foles (Drafted by Howie, traded by Chump, FA by Howie)
  • Clement (Undrafted FA by Howie)
  • Ertz (drafted by 75% Howie 25% Kelly (2013 settings))
    • Kelly moved to about 50/50 in 2014 and shoved Howie out in 2015

Yeah, Howie is such a joke! 😄

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

2017 Eagles playoff TDs

He's done nothing good since then. 

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

2017 Eagles playoff TDs

This is a what have you done for me lately league. All Roseman's done since was draft poorly and put them in cap hell.

9 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

When it came to Chip, he had final say of the roster but Howie had full control of the finances and the drafting including trades. Which some have debated after the fact once Chip left the blame was solely on him. 

No, I am telling you Chip had full control of the roster. It was Chip's team and he ruined it. This isn't a debate thing, it is documented and we all knew what was happening while it happened.

Maybe you are right maybe he had no say but look at what he brought in and the contracts he has made since 2010. I just dont think you can keep Howie around. If you are willing to let Pederson go I think it is in your best interest to let him go too. This may be more appealing for the new HC as he has outlasted a few HCs that are leaving on bad notes.

Howie made some of the best FA acquisitions  of all time in 2017. End of story. He was fantastic at signing veterans to deals that were good for the team and getting max value from those players.

You cant move on from Wentz its just not financially feasible for the next couple of years. Drafting a qb this year will not solve the oline or weapons on offense so I do not see the 3/4th qb taken off of the draft board an upgrade to what you currently have. Howie not only gave Wentz a ton of money but used all that draft capital to move up in order to get him which cost them talent to build around. 

Wrong. We can move on from Wentz if we trade him. Our OL is fine. Our first round pick two years ago was injured, our All Pro RG was out for the year, Lane was hurt for most of the year. We have young weapons on offense with Sanders, Fulgham, Goedert, and Reagor. I don't see where you are getting this.

Alshon is injury prone and never healthy, Djax is going to be older, Raeger I liked a bit of what he has done but uninspiring Fulghram has exceeded expectations. Ertz is on his last year seeking a new deal, so my guess is he is gone especially if you want to keep goedert.

Djax, Alshon, and Ertz are all gone. That has been known for a while and none of them were productive this year.

I just dont see the appeal to this job over the Jags or Chargers at the moment. It reminds me of a poor mans Atlanta job but in an easier division. If you look at the overall team I dont see any reason why howie deserves to be there. He has been with the organization as GM/ VIce President since 2010 it should be time to start fresh new gm and hc to help get Wentz back on track and build him an offense he can last in.

We aren't the most desirable job in the NFL, I never claimed we were, but this isnt the Texans job. We will have people interested in this team, I guarantee it.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

44 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He wasn't having fun anymore

He could've hired his nephew and it might have been better. Dude never hired anyone with the credentials for the job. Ever

Reich and Schwartz were brought on by Roseman when Doug was hired.