Doug Pederson Fired

DeSean Jackson

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just curious, how appealing do Eagles fans think your vacancy is? 

Really depends if a coach believes they can fix Carson and if Lurie understands the current situation the team is in and is willing to give a long leash with the current state of affairs. I imagine it's definitely less appealing than the Jags and Chargers under all circumstances, but if Lurie is accommodating it can be a fairly tenable situation for an incoming coach.

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just curious, how appealing do Eagles fans think your vacancy is? 

I think most people have been realistic that we are near the bottom.

Houston is below us. You could make an argument against the Jets and Lions.

But Chargers and Jags jobs look nice.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think most people have been realistic that we are near the bottom.

Houston is below us. You could make an argument against the Jets and Lions.

But Chargers and Jags jobs look nice.

Jets and Lions have both been really bad for a really long time. Jets had a brief flirtation with success but otherwise? Yikes. Chargers and Jags are definitely the most appealing though.

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Why is Houston below you? Lack of draft picks?

Lack of picks, crappy ownership situation.
Watson is the only appealing thing and he apparently wants out.
Just a bad situation.

Jets ownership also sucks, you are going to be 2nd fiddle to Douglas there. Lack of talent in a tough market.
All this on the back of them just historically being a rough place to build success.

Lions, never seem to able to get things together for a long time. Are kind of stuck in that middling place with Stafford.
I think I'd go there if I knew the ownership was committed to winning and we could get aggressive. But it doesn't seem like that will change.
Hard to get people to come there unfortunately. Just another historical sinkhole.

So argument would be they are the 4th worst to the 2nd worst. Depending on how you weigh certain things.

Falcons are ahead because they are much closer to their rebuild. We have to take a year and move guys.
They just don't have a lot of talent to start with aside Ryan, Julio.

Ill share my opinion:

• Roseman is going on his, what, 4th coach?
  • 75m over the cap
  • Old roster that is injury prone
  • Only a handful of good players in their prime
  • Terrible drafting (or talent development?)
  • Rumors that Howie/Laurie are hands on for coordinator positions - maybe not true

I would put Eagles dead last as long as Watson there. Hell, even if they trade Watson they are probably getting ~4 high draft picks and/or players back.

You take the Eagles job, you are likely going to get fired before you can finish the rebuild.

Edited by Matts4313

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ill share my opinion:

• Roseman is going on his, what, 4th coach?
  • 75m over the cap
  • Old roster that is injury prone
  • Only a handful of good players in their prime
  • Terrible drafting (or talent development?)
  • Rumors that Howie/Laurie are hands on for coordinator positions - maybe not true

I would put Eagles dead last as long as Watson there. Hell, even if they trade Watson they are probably getting ~4 high draft picks and/or players back.

You take the Eagles job, you are likely going to get fired before you can finish the rebuild.

I am truly shocked your opinion wound up with the Eagles job being the worst. Truly.

Turning around the franchise won't take years. People said we were dead after Chip was let go and we won a SB two years later. If Lurie and Howie are telling every coach they need to make the playoffs next year then yes it is a terrible job, but if you understand that you are dealt a rough hand next year and are willing to take some lumps before you start to succeed this job has a ton of potential. Our offense has weapons and with a healthy OL we will have much more help up front. Our defense likely looses a good bit of talent this offseason but that is to be expected when you are way over the cap. QB is definitely a question mark, but maybe someone out there believes in Wentz or maybe a coach is ok drafting a QB early in this draft. Lurie has consistently put together staffs that make the Eagles competitive for two decades, I see no reason that he won't be able to do it again. 

I wouldn't put the Texans job ahead of this one. That team is an actual mess, has zero draft capital, and their stud QB doesn't want to play for them anymore. The Lions are perennial losers who have a old QB who seems to be on the way out. The Jets actually managed to win too many games to score Trevor Lawrence and are now hoping Fields can pan out. I'd put this job around 5th out of 7. Clearly a lot more risk than someplace like the Jaguars but far from a dumpster fire that is bound to fail.

As for the GM, I wish we would replace Howie, but I have a lot more confidence Howie can turn this thing around than I did that Doug could do it. Three years ago people thought Howie was the best GM in football. Things change fast in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am truly shocked your opinion wound up with the Eagles job being the worst. Truly.

I dont know why. In these kinds of threads I try to be neutral. And there have been many times I have been complimentary of your team. For example, I already stated I think Wentz is perfectly capable to bounce back. I have even said he is more athletic than Dak. Ive bragged on your DL many times. I even made a point to say you shouldnt be so hard gym shorts, be cause there was no talent in the secondary with all those injuries. I dont always knock your team. Just in the meme NFCE thread or in NFL Gen to make @SkippyX mad. But I havent even done that lately.

Turning around the franchise won't take years.

Thats hopeful. Odds are that it will.

People said we were dead after Chip was let go and we won a SB two years later.

Absolutely not repeatable. 

If Lurie and Howie are telling every coach they need to make the playoffs next year then yes it is a terrible job, but if you understand that you are dealt a rough hand next year and are willing to take some lumps before you start to succeed this job has a ton of potential.

What potential if you are stuck with Roseman and a horrific cap situation? A bad drafter that has no money to get FA's. And dont forget, you won your superbowl on the backs of signing free agents.

Our offense has weapons and with a healthy OL we will have much more help up front.

Your OL is old as dirt. You have a potential WR. A good RB/TE. And thats it (unless one of the QBs get good).

Our defense likely looses a good bit of talent this offseason but that is to be expected when you are way over the cap. QB is definitely a question mark, but maybe someone out there believes in Wentz or maybe a coach is ok drafting a QB early in this draft. Lurie has consistently put together staffs that make the Eagles competitive for two decades, I see no reason that he won't be able to do it again. 

Interesting take. If you exclude Andy Reid  

• Laurie staffs are: 69 - 62. Just a tad over .500
  • Jason Garret was 85-67 with us. 

And yes I know, you won a superbowl

I wouldn't put the Texans job ahead of this one. That team is an actual mess, has zero draft capital, and their stud QB doesn't want to play for them anymore. The Lions are perennial losers who have a old QB who seems to be on the way out. The Jets actually managed to win too many games to score Trevor Lawrence and are now hoping Fields can pan out. I'd put this job around 5th out of 7. Clearly a lot more risk than someplace like the Jaguars but far from a dumpster fire that is bound to fail.

Those teams all have talent equal to or better than the Eagles after your mass purge.

As for the GM, I wish we would replace Howie, but I have a lot more confidence Howie can turn this thing around than I did that Doug could do it. Three years ago people thought Howie was the best GM in football. Things change fast in the NFL.

In his 10 years with you, he was a good GM exactly 1 year. GET REAL - lol - best GM.... lol 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I seriously implore anybody that is interested in this news or surprised by it like I’ve seen a lot of comments saying to check out the latest Kist and Solak podcast. They do an amazing job hitting the nail on the head with pretty much everything giving the Eagles front office a good ol’ wake up call.

Plus, this isn’t hyperbole, but not only is it one of the the best team podcast, but it’s probably been one of the best NFL/football pods in general and as an Eagles fan I’m gonna be sad to see it go, especially for moments like these as this is probably their last or second to last podcast they’ll do as Kist got a promotion recently.

For anyone who wants to listen they get right to the ****s, so it’s really not that long, especially when you fast forward commercials.

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5u1cuXjvFgaOFWLwnGebF3?si=uYJ33FM0QaCqSpMBGoqvMw&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A6kLubboUPSinfnMesa8xhj

Apple:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-kist-solak-show-221-doug-pederson-fired-emergency-pod/id1424518763?i=1000505010382

Posted this in NFL News. I’m sure some of you have already heard it, but if not you need to get on that.