Doug Pederson Fired

DeSean Jackson

Matt’s it’s late and I’m too lazy to read your posts right now in either thread and I’m sure I would disagree somewhat with whatever you said, but can we establish the Eagles are basically like your second team at this point? I venture into the Cowboys forum every now and then, but you are basically a permanent resident here lol. Not saying it’s a bad thing or anything, but when you post here and talk about the Eagles as much as you do I have to think somewhere in there part of you secretly likes the Eagles. 😂

8 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I seriously implore anybody that is interested in this news or surprised by it like I’ve seen a lot of comments saying to check out the latest Kist and Solak podcast. They do an amazing job hitting the nail on the head with pretty much everything giving the Eagles front office a good ol’ wake up call.

Plus, this isn’t hyperbole, but not only is it one of the the best team podcast, but it’s probably been one of the best NFL/football pods in general and as an Eagles fan I’m gonna be sad to see it go, especially for moments like these as this is probably their last or second to last podcast they’ll do as Kist got a promotion recently.

For anyone who wants to listen they get right to the ****s, so it’s really not that long, especially when you fast forward commercials.

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5u1cuXjvFgaOFWLwnGebF3?si=uYJ33FM0QaCqSpMBGoqvMw&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A6kLubboUPSinfnMesa8xhj

Apple:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-kist-solak-show-221-doug-pederson-fired-emergency-pod/id1424518763?i=1000505010382

Posting again cause I don’t like that it got paged.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Ill share my opinion:

• Roseman is going on his, what, 4th coach?
  • 75m over the cap
  • Old roster that is injury prone
  • Only a handful of good players in their prime
  • Terrible drafting (or talent development?)
  • Rumors that Howie/Laurie are hands on for coordinator positions - maybe not true

I would put Eagles dead last as long as Watson there. Hell, even if they trade Watson they are probably getting ~4 high draft picks and/or players back.

You take the Eagles job, you are likely going to get fired before you can finish the rebuild.

Certainly an argument for it to be the case.

Basically it is, can you put up with one bad year for a better place to go?

Jets and Lions are a turnstile, Texans is a bad situation, Watson was the one redeeming quality and he's pissed.
Like the 2021 Eagles are probably the worst situation outside Texas, but 2022, 2023 and on? I think coaches would like it here. Easier sell for agents and for the staff too.

Our cap situation is hella bad, but there are ways to lessen the blow between now and summer 2022.

Old roster for sure, luckily they are in spots that last longer like OL. I think the in their prime thing can be said about all the teams besides the Chargers. Like Jags have a couple guys like Chark, that rookie RB. Falcons have Ryan for now and Julio, Lions have Stafford..their receivers all might be leaving. Jets have no one unless you count Darnold. Texans have Watson for now, Tunsil, Cooks and an old JJ Watt...with no picks to replenish. Don't see it as a unique flaw. Like at least the eagles have talent on the roster, even if it is old.

Remains to be seen on the meddling. It might be a Doug specific thing. Howie and Lurie helped Chip pick some people, but he had more of a staff he wanted. Andy came in with binders full of names he liked for each spot.
Doug somehow knows like noone, they had to handle all of the hirings for him year one. When pressed to add new blood, he still couldn't do it himself.
It's so weird for a guy who's been around so long.

I'm not gonna lie and say this is a great job right now. I think some might be turned off by the job. Like basically you have to win a SB, last guy did.

Besides going for Lincoln Riley though I don't think it really think they are going to go after the hot names.
Lurie seems to like sifting through and finding the guy no one is looking at.

38 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Old roster for sure, luckily they are in spots that last longer like OL. I think the in their prime thing can be said about all the teams besides the Chargers. Like Jags have a couple guys like Chark, that rookie RB. Falcons have Ryan for now and Julio, Lions have Stafford..their receivers all might be leaving. Jets have no one unless you count Darnold. Texans have Watson for now, Tunsil, Cooks and an old JJ Watt...with no picks to replenish. Don't see it as a unique flaw. Like at least the eagles have talent on the roster, even if it is old

Just cause I was interested, my own edification:

Falcons: Ryan, Jones, Ridley, Lindstrom, Deion Jones, Grady Jarrett, AJ Terrell, Hurst looked ok, their kicker lol, $42m more in cap space

Lions:  Their all pro center and a decent OL, Stafford, Hockinson, Swift maybe, their WRs as you said, Okudah, $86M more in cap space.

Jets: Q Williams, Perriman/Mims are okay at WR, Becton, Maye, $137M more in cap 

Texans: Watson, Tunsil, Cunningham, decent WR core, deep RB core, Hargreaves - hes good right?, Marcellus, $54m more in cap space.

^^^^^^ Harder than I thought. Specifically AFC teams ^^^^^^^

Edited by Matts4313

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just cause I was interested, my own edification:

Falcons: Ryan, Jones, Ridley, Lindstrom, Deion Jones, Grady Jarrett, AJ Terrell, Hurst looked ok, their kicker lol, $42m more in cap space

Lions:  Their all pro center and a decent OL, Stafford, Hockinson, Swift maybe, their WRs as you said, Okudah, $86M more in cap space.

Jets: Q Williams, Perriman/Mims are okay at WR, Becton, Maye, $137M more in cap 

Texans: Watson, Tunsil, Cunningham, decent WR core, deep RB core, Hargreaves - hes good right?, Marcellus, $54m more in cap space.

^^^^^^ Harder than I thought. Specifically AFC teams ^^^^^^^

I forgot about the Lions all-pro center,  nvm they are at the top of the list now.
I'm sure the coaches feel the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Matt’s it’s late and I’m too lazy to read your posts right now in either thread and I’m sure I would disagree somewhat with whatever you said, but can we establish the Eagles are basically like your second team at this point? I venture into the Cowboys forum every now and then, but you are basically a permanent resident here lol. Not saying it’s a bad thing or anything, but when you post here and talk about the Eagles as much as you do I have to think somewhere in there part of you secretly likes the Eagles. 😂

I like the posters here. I hate your team. 

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I forgot about the Lions all-pro center,  nvm they are at the top of the list now.
I'm sure the coaches feel the same.

Haha - mock me all you want. I was just trying to educate myself on other rosters so I wasnt talking out of my arse.

FTR - I would be interested in what you guys say for the Eagles. Especially if you exclude guys who are over the hill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I like the posters here. I hate your team. 

Haha - mock me all you want. I was just trying to educate myself on other rosters so I wasnt talking out of my arse.

FTR - I would be interested in what you guys say for the Eagles. Especially if you exclude guys who are over the hill. 

No it's a solid exercise. I think it's a bit much to boil it down to the current players and cap space this year. Like there is a alot more that goes into the decisions..many of which go against the Eagles. 

Tier 1 - Take this job for them

• No one. They are all too old or don't play important enough positions.
  • (Wentz, if for some reason you believe he is a top 12 QB and that you can get him there.... i.e. people that will say anything to get a head coaching job)

Tier 2 - Young extremely good players, or studs at important positions.

• Nadda..this requires drafting well.

Tier 3 - Young good players not yet in their prime that could be special at slightly less important positions

• Dallas Goedert, potential to be a top 5 TE in the league.

Tier 4 - Older guys who should still have 3-5 years in them or promising young guys

• Fletcher Cox, still a great DT probably has 3 good years left. But hard to say.
  • Miles Sanders, shown flashes of being a really good back...but he needs work.
  • Lane Johnson, a top tackle in the league..if he gets healthy you are happy to have him.
  • Javon Hargrave, really started to play well once he got back. Young penetrating 1 tech.
  • Brandon Brooks, playing guard will elongate his career...he has a great work ethic to keep himself right.
  • Cam Johnston, you put Special teamers so sure..a really good punter will reel in that big fish.

Tier 5 - Good vets who could fall off a cliff soon or young guys who have yet to show everything they can do..but have potential

• Darius Slay, had some bad outings against the top guys in the league...but shut mostly the other stuff down. 
    Lack of secondary help has to be factored into some of that.
  • Brandon Graham, had his first pro bowl season this year. Big time culture guy...everyone like BG..said he's fine being a bright spot if they are rebuilding.
  • Jordan Mailata, played pretty well this year. Played incredible when you factor in where he came from. If you keep Stoutland, which you should, he maybe found you your LT for a decade in Australia.
  • Josh Sweat, has shown real potential at times. Maybe a different scheme pushes him further
  • Derek Barnett, disappointing guy...has yet to live up to his draft billing. But his career might very well morph into the guy who is on the other side of the dline (BG).

Tier TeneT - Welcome to the Seumalo Zone. Do you like Dominos and some Hand play?...then welcome the the zone where everything is just sorta fine. The middle part of any roster. You yearn for more, but fear you could have less.

• Isaac Seumalo, the namesake. He's fine and versatile. get way worse line play throughout the rest of the league. Is he good???? Eh.

Tier 6 - Promising boom wildcards...no coach will pay them any mind, but they could boom in the future. Coach will care more about this than Seumalo..but hey...prove it  young guys. How about you reach that peak level of fineness at least!?!

• Jalen Reagor, offense sucked and he didn't help much. A real offseason and a staff that will design a better scheme can help a lot. 
  • Jalen Hurts, he wasn't awful but can't really what he is at this point beyond just a competitive guy.
  • Travis Fulgham, what was real and what wasn't? Who the hell knows.
  • Avonte Maddox, has been very up and down. Perhaps if he goes into the slot or back to safety like he should he rises.
  • Andre Dillard, complete question mark. And with Mailata who knows what happens with him. But he's a smooth big man.

Tier 7 -  Promising small wildcards, can be good dudes that stick

• Jack Driscoll, played really well for a rookie olineman who was shuffled all over the place. Spot starter or nabs a starting spot at some point.
  • Quez Watkins, showed some juice when he finally could play. 
  • Boston Scott, he just works..he already is solid but like...he's a 3rd back, not going to put him too high.
  • John Hightower, he showed he could get downfield and get open...now if he could catch we'd be in business.

Tier 8 - it ain't much but it's honest work

• Jake Elliott, probably higher but he's been up and down...worse kicker out there. Serviceable.
  • Greg Ward, good locker room guy. Probably moves on with an all new staff.
  • Alex Singleton, boy can tackle...solid depth LB who can come in and actually play.
  • TJ Edwards, same but thumpier but less athletic
  • A couple other Olinemen (psshhh we are actually a 6th thru 8th Olinemen factory)

Tier 9 - Livin la vida bubble players.

• Why are you reading this...they will piss people off when they get cut, then we'll forget about them until they amke one play 2 ears from now.
  • Aging vet cashing a check
  • Eagles new starting LB

Tier 27 - Hell

• Nate Gerry, #1 LB
  • JJAW, redzone extraordinaire 

Not listed 

• Wentz, he will vary wildly from candidate to candidate. No one has any really clue why he had a historic fall from grace.
    Truly can't put him locked in anywhere on this list.
  • Ertz, he's gone. Thanks for the memories...doesn't get enough credit for the SB win
  • Jalen Mills and Rodney Mcleod, serviceable starters under Jim...both will be gone.
  • Alshon and Desean, both will likely be cap casualties. 
  • Malik Jackson, cap casualty 
  • Any other players not on deals for next season or of any great consequence.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

@Kiltman

Thanks for the write up, but that was kinda my point. Most all of your best players are old. 

Who all are you going to have to cut/restructure to get under the cop.

Yep, but there is a decent chunk of them that should be fine for the first 3 years. I don't think Head Coaches want to walk into a bare program and have to rebuild everything right away. Especially when you can't replace them for awhile because of other needs. The Chargers are the only team that has some legit young talent with no real issues (Spanos is a bit of cheap idiot)

Depends what the cap ends up being #1.

But they already restructured Malik and Alshon to cut for money.
I think Kelce retires, could see them spreading that money around.
Trade Ertz, potentially restructure and trade Wentz.
Goodwin wont ever play a snap for us. Desean is gone.

Guys like Fletcher Cox have some room for restructure. BG i think they add a year and push some money into that.
Derek Barnett might just get straight up cut if he doesn't sign a team friendly deal.

If it were me, bias aside..they are at the bottom tied with the Jets and above the Texans (if Watson truly is done).

Lions aren't that appealing, but it's a low bar. I can rebuild for a bit and Stafford is still young enough. Or I can push to trade him and build from the ground up.
Falcons you got Julio and Ryan. Really not much else aside from Ridley. You probably have a long leash given the need to rebuild with a new QB soon.But you need to get a lot.

Only way the Eagles our really about those two is if someone believes in Wentz.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yep, but there is a decent chunk of them that should be fine for the first 3 years. I don't think Head Coaches want to walk into a bare program and have to rebuild everything right away. Especially when you can't replace them for awhile because of other needs. The Chargers are the only team that has some legit young talent with no real issues (Spanos is a bit of cheap idiot)

Depends what the cap ends up being #1.

But they already restructured Malik and Alshon to cut for money.
I think Kelce retires, could see them spreading that money around.
Trade Ertz, potentially restructure and trade Wentz.
Goodwin wont ever play a snap for us. Desean is gone.

Guys like Fletcher Cox have some room for restructure. BG i think they add a year and push some money into that.
Derek Barnett might just get straight up cut if he doesn't sign a team friendly deal.

If it were me, bias aside..they are at the bottom tied with the Jets and above the Texans (if Watson truly is done).

Lions aren't that appealing, but it's a low bar. I can rebuild for a bit and Stafford is still young enough. Or I can push to trade him and build from the ground up.
Falcons you got Julio and Ryan. Really not much else aside from Ridley. You probably have a long leash given the need to rebuild with a new QB soon.But you need to get a lot.

Only way the Eagles our really about those two is if someone believes in Wentz.

Would those roster moves get you back to ground 0 from the projected $74m you need? Or at least get you close enough that youll get there with other minor moves?

To early in the morning for me to be looking at your cap, haha

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Would those roster moves get you back to ground 0 from the projected $74m you need? Or at least get you close enough that youll get there with other minor moves?

To early in the morning for me to be looking at your cap, haha

You and me both. I'm not doing the math.

All I know is they have to get there and if they don't have a ton going on with the roster it shouldn't be too difficult to not be sentimental.