Will Tomlin start to feel any heat after playoff loss?

Uncle Buck

4 hours ago, 43M said:

🙄

Here are my thoughts on the matter....

I appreciate this. I just think that if he wasn't already feeling the heat from a variety of issues his team has dealt with, it's not going to suddenly change for him because of this specific game. The things you mentioned should've been setting off sirens years ago (at least as far back as the Antonio Brown situation came to a boil) but clearly the organization's brass feel a level of comfort with Tomlin that they're willing to let these things slide. 

4 hours ago, 43M said:

People love making excuses for Tomlin.

People keep bringing up that we went 12-4.    Who cares about an 11-0 start when your team finishes the season 1-5, and plays like a bortom 10 team to finish the season?  

Also, he is 3-6 in the playoffs over the last 10 years.   You guys can hate on Ben...and he absolutely deserves blame too...but Tomlin teams rarely ever play 4 quarters of quality football, hence why this team constantly plays down to competition.

Tomlin isnt a terrible coach...he has his good qualities...but calling him a "top coach" is laughable, and spoken like someone who doesnt actually know what they're talking about.   A top coach learns from past mistakes and grows from it.  

To all the Tomlin bootlickers....what area has he notably improved in as a coach over the last decade?   If anything, his flaws and shortcomings have become worse and gotten more exposed...and he continues to do the same things every year, and gives stupid soundbytes and quotes like "we dont live in our fears"   and "The standard is the standard".

I think Tomlin could help another team....but I think he has hit his ceiling in Pittsburgh.   He isnt the only problem by any stretch...but people acting like he isnt a problem are absolutely clueless.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. Tomlin can't help anyone as HC. I haven't seen a coach do so little with a lot of talent since Jack Pardee with the 1991-93 Oilers.

I don't know if he should be fired, but he definitely needs to reinvent himself. His teams have consistently came into games lackadaisical and as if they're owed something while constantly playing down to their competition in both the regular season and the playoffs. No one on that team outside of Ben and Tomlin himself have had any sort of playoff success yet they come into every game like they're the Patriots of the last 10 years.

16 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin went on record basically saying that even though his team barely squeaked by the Browns the last time they played them, it was because they were playing a lot of scrubs and that they would have no problem beating the Browns with a full compliment of starters.  After the savage beating his team took to those same Cleveland Browns in the Wildcard Round of the playoffs last night, will Mike Tomlin start to feel any heat in Pittsburgh? 

Well considering that they have been beaten in the playoffs The last 5 years

that is enough to be fired right there.

Cleveland will have enough money to get Dupree who is significantly better

in coverage over Highsmith.

14 hours ago, biggie. said:

Tomlin has his flaws and deserves criticism, but there's a reason why there's a correlation between Pittsburgh's success and that they've had just three head coaches since the Nixon administration.

As an unbiased observer it would be the large amounts of steroids and cocaine in the locker room. At least thats how you stole superbowls from us.

On a side note, many might now this, but outside of the AFCN, the Pittsburgh has played the Cowboys more than any other team.

Man, I know I'm a Tomlin apologist so take me with a grain of salt, but the idea of firing him and the way Steelers fans take him for granted is so dumb.

AT BEST,.....AT VERY FREAKING BEST,....this is an Andy Reid in Philly situation where they both just need a change of scenery (despite - again - never having a losing season, but okay). I could maybe accept that.

Like Reid in Philly (and still to this day, to a degree), Tomlin is a flawed coach. He makes boneheaded decisions that get destroyed like ALL coaches do. Again - all coaches do. Reid has been NOTORIOUS for terrible clock management. Even Belichick had that play vs the Colts off the top of my head and he is the GOAT. I will concede he is not the best in-game manager, but he obviously has other strengths as a coach that compensate for that. 

Pitt fans like to bring up his lack of playoff success, while ignoring the fact they are CONSTANTLY in the playoffs with a chance to compete year after year. They give credit to the "talent" of the team somehow fantasizing that Head Coach X would have gotten more out of the prima donna players by being some kind of disciplinarian. I don't buy it. You want to say Pederson got "carried" by coordinators or Gruden by talent (in TB), I could maybe see that. This guy has been successful for 14 freaking seasons. At a certain point, we have to acknowledge his contributions.

And the notion that "what's the point of the season if you are going to fail in playoffs" is spoken like a bunch of fans that have never had to put up with the 2-14 and 4-12 seasons that other franchises have (prolly bc they had a good HC, lol). People like to suggest "Blowing it up and rebuilding", but they ignore the reality that ,statistically speaking, MOST TIMES "blowing it up and rebuilding" doesn't end you up in the SB. I have no idea who Steelers fans think they are going to pull off the street to be more successful than the guy with the 3rd highest winning % as an active head coach (OVER 14 SEASONS).

This just screams Schottenheimer all over and I like the Steelers, so I hope they don't.

• Like 1

I really dont know with the question because its almost like next year is likely to be a lost year if Big Ben retires so you cant exactly expect him to make this team better. They have no running game and with a new QB that likely isnt even on the roster I'm not sure his seat is that hot because next year the expectations have to be at a low not seen in Pittsburgh for over a decade

Edit: Assuming Big Ben retires

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

9 hours ago, Soggust said:

Man, I know I'm a Tomlin apologist so take me with a grain of salt, but the idea of firing him and the way Steelers fans take him for granted is so dumb.

What exactly are we taking for granted?    Most Steeler fans know you can do worse than Tonlin, but at what point do you stop using that as an excuse to POSSIBLY get better?

AT BEST,.....AT VERY FREAKING BEST,....this is an Andy Reid in Philly situation where they both just need a change of scenery (despite - again - never having a losing season, but okay). I could maybe accept that.

Okay...you basically just made an argument against yourself here, so lets move on...

Like Reid in Philly (and still to this day, to a degree), Tomlin is a flawed coach. He makes boneheaded decisions that get destroyed like ALL coaches do. Again - all coaches do. Reid has been NOTORIOUS for terrible clock management. Even Belichick had that play vs the Colts off the top of my head and he is the GOAT. I will concede he is not the best in-game manager, but he obviously has other strengths as a coach that compensate for that. 

Pitt fans like to bring up his lack of playoff success, while ignoring the fact they are CONSTANTLY in the playoffs with a chance to compete year after year.

Too bad the end goal isnt simply to MAKE the playoffs.   That might be nice a new coach taking over a team that has struggled for years....like Stefanski and the Browns this year....but I doubt that Browns fans will be quite as happy with him if they only win 3 playoff games in the next 10 years, much because of coaching failures....because that's where we are with Tomlin.

They give credit to the "talent" of the team somehow fantasizing that Head Coach X would have gotten more out of the prima donna players by being some kind of disciplinarian. I don't buy it. You want to say Pederson got "carried" by coordinators or Gruden by talent (in TB), I could maybe see that. This guy has been successful for 14 freaking seasons. At a certain point, we have to acknowledge his contributions.

And at a certain point, you have to acknowledge reality and stop living in the past.

And the notion that "what's the point of the season if you are going to fail in playoffs" is spoken like a bunch of fans that have never had to put up with the 2-14 and 4-12 seasons that other franchises have (prolly bc they had a good HC, lol). People like to suggest "Blowing it up and rebuilding", but they ignore the reality that ,statistically speaking, MOST TIMES "blowing it up and rebuilding" doesn't end you up in the SB. I have no idea who Steelers fans think they are going to pull off the street to be more successful than the guy with the 3rd highest winning % as an active head coach (OVER 14 SEASONS).

You sound like someone content with just being...okay.

I adressed this logic in another post I made, so Im not getting into it again...but Tomlin has done nothing notable in 10 years.   3 playoff wins and his teams have consistently underperformed.   An actual great coach couldve done more with the talent he had to work with.

Literally all youve done is bring up his regular season success and ignored how much he has held this team back at times.

No...he isnt a terrible coach.   Not even necessarily a bad one.   But he isnt nearly as great as you attempt to make him sound, and AT BEST, as you even acknowledged...he has hit a ceiling with the Steelers.

Try doing some research about reason why Steeler fans are fed up with him....because you haven't really addressed anything except telling us we should settle fro Tomlin because he has a good regular season record.

This just screams Schottenheimer all over and I like the Steelers, so I hope they don't.

Tomlin isnt getting fired.   As I said...at most, they just wont renew his next contract...but even thats doubtful.

We will see how he fares in the coming years where he doesnt have a franchise QB.

Despite the hate for Ben on here (I dont like Ben much either), he has been a huge reason for our consistent success as well.  Losing him, even with how he has regressee, isnt going to help....but time will tell, I suppose.

Edited by 43M

As previous posters have said, Tomlin has flaws. However, I think the idea of firing him is absurd. Steelers have underachieved during his tenure, but they also peaked at a time when the patriots were putting together the greatest run of the modern era. 

I think Ben's hold over managerial decisions is a bigger issue than Tomlin is. Additionally, as great as the stability is in this organization, this also leads to some stagnant ideas about football and not always keeping up with the times. I think Tomlin should be given the opportunity to lead the rebuild and if we don't show progress, we should move on. 

• Like 1