Jump to content

Cowboys hire Dan Quinn as DC


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Overall i would say Quinn had better players and talent to work with but performed worse than Nolan with it  and when someone else took over these players from Quinn performed much better than Quinn did with them. 

This was kinda of a weird way of looking at it. I was more talking about years with talent. Like I could say "Garrett had Demarcus Ware on his teams, clearly the best!" But it was only for a couple years and Ware was suffering from significant back injuries. 

@scar988 => second opinion? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I dunno about that their both Falcons retreads back to back just like yall are doing and im not sure Quinn was better than Nolan when both were calling the plays.   The Falcons defense only improved when Quinn removed himself from the job and let Raheem and Ulbrich take over the defense fully. 

I just ran the numbers of when Nolan was calling our defense vs when Quinn took over each year from his coordinators and ran it here

Nolan was 374.6 ypg and 24.1 PPG   from 2012 to 2014  and  Quinn was  387.3 ypg  and 25.7 PPG  the 4 years he took over the defense from his coordinators.   So somehow he was worse than Nolan here which sorta scares me XD

Doesn’t Quinn however run a 43 scheme? I know Nolan is a pure 34 guy. I think the biggest issue with Dallas this season seemed to be that they were 43 personnel that just couldn’t adjust to a 34 defense. In the 43 front, their key talents were thriving. I think the biggest thing for Dallas will be having an experience coach who can understand how to properly relate to players and coach them up, while putting them into the personnel packages that best suit their talents... even if he might not be as talented as Nolan in some respects.

Nolan is definitely an old school, “I’m going to run my scheme vs adjusting to my players“ kind of guy. But Quinn, even if he were to bring a similar mentality, is simply a better fit from the schematics standpoint. He should ideally be able to build a strong system for that defense to work from and promote talented defensive coaches from within after his 1-2 years stint at DC prior to someone once again giving him a chance at a HC position somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I know Nolan is a pure 34 guy. I think the biggest issue with Dallas this season seemed to be that they were 43 personnel that just couldn’t adjust to a 34 defense. In the 43 front, their key talents were thriving.

I hate this narrative so much. We ran a true 3-4 extremely rarely. So rare I cant even recall at any point that it was more than a couple snaps a game.

We ran a hybrid with Aldon as a standing blitzer somewhat often early in the year, but by October that was gone as well. 

Our base was a nickle. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue with Nolan is he tried to implement all the major defenses (43, 34, nickle, dime, etc) with all the sub packages over zoom meetings and was shocked when our players were confused as hell.

Edited by Matts4313
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I hate this narrative so much. We ran a true 3-4 extremely rarely. So rare I cant even recall at any point that it was more than a couple snaps a game.

We ran a hybrid with Aldon as a standing blitzer somewhat often early in the year, but by October that was gone as well. 

Our base was a nickle. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue with Nolan is he tried to implement all the major defenses (43, 34, nickle, dime, etc) with all the sub packages over zoom meetings and was shocked when our players were confused as hell.


Agree with this on the Nolan 3-4 thing as we ran a varied front and scheme with him here.  We even did an amoeba defense as they called it where guys would line up and just move all over the place on the line and lb spots to confuse the offense and not know where anyone was set or what defense we was in at times lol.   As for Quinn he ran a 4-2-5 here quite a bit with only  2 LB's on the field and 5 DB's.  That was mostly our base defense under him after awhile and i think when he started we were more a traditional 4-3 but it changed over the last few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:


Agree with this on the Nolan 3-4 thing as we ran a varied front and scheme with him here.  We even did an amoeba defense as they called it where guys would line up and just move all over the place on the line and lb spots to confuse the offense and not know where anyone was set or what defense we was in at times lol.   As for Quinn he ran a 4-2-5 here quite a bit with only  2 LB's on the field and 5 DB's.  That was mostly our base defense under him after awhile and i think when he started we were more a traditional 4-3 but it changed over the last few years.

Haha the Amoba defence brings back some memories. Funny thing is that it actually seemed to work against the teams with better QB's (Both Manning and Brees seemed to have trouble with it).

With regards to Quinn going to Dallas it's a wait and see kind of thing. I think it's not unlikely that he's a better DC then HC. He also seemed to be a real players coach until his message got stale. He doesn't seem to be the greatest coach at adapting and his scheme had been around for quite a while now with seemingly less succes every year. As a Cowboys fan I'd be cautiously optimistic I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This was kinda of a weird way of looking at it. I was more talking about years with talent. Like I could say "Garrett had Demarcus Ware on his teams, clearly the best!" But it was only for a couple years and Ware was suffering from significant back injuries. 

@scar988 => second opinion? 

Quinn did better than Nolan. Nolan was garbage. That being said, Quinn is a solid coach who is heavily personnel reliant. He has some great personnel to work with in Dallas and would need to fix that secondary for his scheme.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The issue with Nolan is he tried to implement all the major defenses (43, 34, nickle, dime, etc) with all the sub packages over zoom meetings and was shocked when our players were confused as hell.

Quinn runs 4 different formations with like 15 plays per formation. Very vanilla scheme.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Oh, so somewhere useless that you should give no credibility to? Quoting stupid people is not a good look teninch - shame shame. 😁

Hey it was funny! I laughed. You should laugh! Probably wasn't an actual Cowboys fan.

Edited by TENINCH
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Hey it was funny! I laughed. You should laugh! Probably wasn't an actual Cowboys fan.

Maybe I am just more sensitive to it because the Eagles fans are always like "lol - Cowboys think they are going to win the 'bowl this year"

Me: Who? What Cowboys fans are actually saying that??

Eagles Fans: The ones on twitter

Me: SMH.... GTFO with that as your source.

 

every year, rinse and repeat. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...