Dan Quinn hired as new DC

textaz03

Here’s my quick take. Personally I wanted Gus Bradley. But, Quinn was an understudy of Bradley so that’s a plus. Quinn has had some very good success as a DC just not as a HC. Quinn is also from the Dline coaching ranks 18 years as a Dline Coach by my count in both the NFL and College ranks. 

I’m not looking for him to replicate the Seattle’s Defense they took to 2 SB’s but I want to see consistent improvement and if he can change the directions of Jaylons and LVE’s trajectories, I’d be ecstatic. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Northland said:

I'll reserve judgement but here's a question I would ask of any hire.  How much of a coordinators success or lack thereof is due to scheme and how much is due to the talent level on the roster?

I mean...as a HC, he had say in the personnel, right? So at some level he's responsible for the performance of said area of the team, especially considering he is a defensive guy. He basically piggy-backed off the success of the Seattle defense's which were loaded with talent. He isn't going to have that here. 

This is a bad hire and another example of this team wallowing in mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, D82 said:

I mean...as a HC, he had say in the personnel, right? So at some level he's responsible for the performance of said area of the team, especially considering he is a defensive guy. He basically piggy-backed off the success of the Seattle defense's which were loaded with talent. He isn't going to have that here. 

Idk, Thomas Demitroff had a ton of power over rosters down there. And He didn’t call plays on Defense while in Atlanta. Don’t think it’s a bad hire, but it’s not a home run hire either

11 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Can't say I love this hire.

If we fail again this year, I could see MM fired and Moore promoted.

No, no. They'll keep McCarthy for another year while Moore gets hired by some other team. 

17 minutes ago, D82 said:

Again I would say the following of any DC hire.  There is a lot of work to be done on the defensive side of the ball.  Let's see what we do personnel wise in FA and the draft.  Regardless,  Quinn and his staff have their work cut out for them.  

1 hour ago, Northland said:

I'll reserve judgement but here's a question I would ask of any hire.  How much of a coordinators success or lack thereof is due to scheme and how much is due to the talent level on the roster?

It's a combination of things. Players and talent level, scheme and being able to disguise your defense. Also has to do with luck. Calling the right play at the right time. Also comes down to execution of said scheme an plays. You cant just pin it on one specific thing

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

It's a combination of things. Players and talent level, scheme and being able to disguise your defense. Also has to do with luck. Calling the right play at the right time. Also comes down to execution of said scheme an plays. You cant just pin it on one specific thing

I agree with you.  I especially like your point about disguising looks.  My concern is you, me, and nine friends could put together an offense that could run the ball on the Cowboys D as it exists right now.  Regardless of the coordinator,  scheme etc, we have some challenges on defense.  Hopefully Quinn gets some tools to work with. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

I agree with you.  I especially like your point about disguising looks.  My concern is you, me, and nine friends could put together an offense that could run the ball on the Cowboys D as it exists right now.  Regardless of the coordinator,  scheme etc, we have some challenges on defense.  Hopefully Quinn gets some tools to work with. 

I hope 2/3rds of the teams draft picks are on the defensive side of the ball with a 1T DT with the first pick or second pick

• Like 1