Dan Quinn hired as new DC

textaz03

He was on my short list of guys I would be happy with.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

I'll reserve judgement but here's a question I would ask of any hire.  How much of a coordinators success or lack thereof is due to scheme and how much is due to the talent level on the roster?

If you want to put it on just those two things and weight them, I would say 65% talent and 35% coaching. No coach ever has overcome truly horrific talent. But Amazing talent has carried bad coaching 100's of time.

That said, some coaches can take mediocre talent and elevate it beyond what it should be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Doesn't he run mostly Cover 3 with a single high safety?

Isn't Diggs a better man corner than zone?

From what I've been reading, Quinn tends to fit his scheme to his players, more so than the other way around. 

If that's the case, could be a good thing. 

I freaking LOVE this hire. He's actually who I wanted University of Florida to hire. 

Guy has built some great defenses that focus on getting pressure with the DL and REQUIRE exceptional Safety play. 

Phenomenal teacher, probably the best position coach we had at UF during his time. 

Home run. 

8 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I freaking LOVE this hire. He's actually who I wanted University of Florida to hire. 

Guy has built some great defenses that focus on getting pressure with the DL and REQUIRE exceptional Safety play. 

Phenomenal teacher, probably the best position coach we had at UF during his time. 

Home run. 

I’’m not as confident as you, but hopefully it works out. 
Dallas has a long ways to go before they’re fielding a defense as talented as DQ had at his disposal in Seattle.

49 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

All I know of this guy is that he had a 28 point lead against NE in the SB with a quarter and a half to play and lost the freaking game.

Not too optimistic.

If leading a team to a Super Bowl and building a 25 point lead as a head coach is a detriment to his candidacy as the Dallas Cowboys DC, I would guess there were no available candidates that would have given you the warm and fuzzies. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

All I know of this guy is that he had a 28 point lead against NE in the SB with a quarter and a half to play and lost the freaking game.

Not too optimistic.

If leading a team to a Super Bowl and building a 25 point lead as a head coach is a detriment to his candidacy as the Dallas Cowboys DC, I would guess there were no available candidates that would have given you the warm and fuzzies. 

Same exact thought. Does he want a coach that cant make it to a superbowl in the first place? 

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Hard pass. Let’s get someone younger and without the baggage. I feel ET has run himself out of the league tbh.

I doubt this team will draft a safety much less a defensive tackle in the first round. And the BOYS are known for giving players 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances.