jags loss or browns loss - which was worse

3rivers

Depends. For me, the Jags loss was significantly worse because I thought we had a Super Bowl caliber team that year. The browns loss sucked but it was pretty clear to me that we weren't good enough to win a Super Bowl. 

That said, I think the browns loss is more embarrassing. Browns had everything working against them yet they came out and absolutely stomped us. Our defense talent was pretty poor when we played the Jaguars. It wasn't when we played the browns yet we still gave up 41 points to their offense. 

Jags simply because that Steelers team was a legit Super Bowl contender. Expectations for the 2017 team was a lot more than this years team. 

In terms of what was a worst performance in an individual game I’d definitely say the Browns though. That was pathetic from top to bottom coaches and players.

• Like 1

Jags was a worse loss, but this hurt more.

I dont recall expectations being much higher in 2017, so that isnt really an issue.

The Jags loss was largely the result of Ben sucking early in the game...but he always sucked vs Jags.

Browns felt like a) the culmination of a total team meltdown and b) the door closing on this Steelers team.  

Plus...it was the Browns.   Better team...but, still the Browns.

• Like 1

Over the years it seems the common denominators for these letdowns appear to be ben and tomlin. Can't blame bell, AB, haley and others for this. 

I see fichner is gone and OL coach is gone. So they are removing them but not ben? I expect ben to get a new deal in the good name of cap relief for the 2021 covid cap season. 

The Jaguars had a legitimately scary defense when the Steelers lost to them. Everyone can make fun of Bortles, but he played well enough to win when combined with that. And the Steelers were trotting out a pretty weak defensive unit after that Shazier injury. When people talk about the talent of that 2017 team, they are talking about Bell and Brown.

The Browns are mediocre team that didn't even have their head coach. Outside a pretty good running game, they have little going for them. And the Steelers got stomped. Combine that with the fact that it basically felt like the end of an era for the Roethlisberger era, and it was easily worse. That was the most embarrassing Steelers loss of my lifetime. And unlike against Jacksonville, the Steelers were, in my opinion, clearly the superior team in terms of talent.

Edited by CKSteeler
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The Jaguars had a legitimately scary defense when the Steelers lost to them. Everyone can make fun of Bortles, but he played well enough to win when combined with that. And the Steelers were trotting out a pretty weak defensive unit after that Shazier injury. When people talk about the talent of that 2017 team, they are talking about Bell and Brown.

The Browns are mediocre team that didn't even have their head coach. Outside a pretty good running game, they have little going for them. And the Steelers got stomped. Combine that with the fact that it basically felt like the end of an era for the Roethlisberger era, and it was easily worse. That was the most embarrassing Steelers loss of my lifetime. And unlike against Jacksonville, the Steelers were, in my opinion, clearly the superior team in terms of talent.

jags had an elite defence, shutdown CB's except vs AB of course.  Browns,  had their way  and I can't decide which is worse, but am not surprised the steelers did either game like that. Not what we want moving forward at all.  At least show up ready to play