2021 - TCMD GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

55 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

Tampa bay free agency (so far) would welcome your feedback.

start with the negatives

Lost Shaq Barrett and Lavonte David . I wasn’t prepared to pay David 25 million or Barrett 28.7 million a year. I also missed out on bringing back Suh but didn’t want to pay more than 11 million per year and missed out massively by 6 million a year. Don’t like losing these players but all monster contracts offered and I wouldn’t have offered more even if I had chance.

i would have also looked to bring back A Brown on a 1 year deal for 3-4 mil but I see he got 10 mil a year so again I wouldn’t have been close.

That is a lot of talent to lose from the roster.

Free agency success

Round 1

David Andrews - C - 2.6 mil apy

Matt Feiler - RT/G - 4.5 mil apy

John Johnson - S - 13.1 mil apy

Brought in 2nd best free agent centre for great value. Signed Feiler who is pencilled in as Right tackle but gives me line flexibility should I need to move Marpet to Centre or if Wilson steps up. Paying less than 5 mil is a hit in my opinion.

Johnson was my number 1 first round target and makes a good pairing with Winfield Jnr or Whitehead.

Round 2

Trey Hendrickson - OLB - 19.1 mil apy

Aaron Jones - RB - 13.1 mil apy

Denzel Perryman - LB - 4.8 mil apy

Ryan Succop - resign - K - 2.28 mil apy

so I overspent slightly on Hendrickson and but needed to replace Barrett and won bid on Adjusted value only. I also needed to look at linebackers to replace David. Very poor selection of linebackers available and looked at Brown or Perryman. Decided on Perryman as a 2 down backer rather than Brown who is great in coverage but can’t tackle, it’s quite clear that David can’t be easily replaced. I then realised I had lots of cap space as I couldn’t bring back those listed above, Was going to bid on A number of backs but most of them would cost 10mil. Whilst I don’t like doing so I thought WTH and got Jones,

Succop is a no brainer. I may have been able to get him later but he was most important of my resigns.

Round 3 and 4 

Rob Gronkowski - resign - TE- 2.1 mil apy

Efe Obada - 34DE - 1.1 mil apy

Corey Bojorquez - P - 980k apy

Tyler Lancaster - 34DE - 925k apy

George Odum - S - 925k apy

Gronk no brainer pretty cheap deal. Obada position flexibility and good sack number on limited snaps last year.
Last three players brought in with no SB so good roster boost, Lancaster is a strong MF and got some good game experience last season. Odum is brought in for special teams, Bojorquez should win kicker job.

still plenty of moves to make.

Thoughts please gents.

Barrett's deal is nominally 5 years, 143 mil but really is 3 years, 73 mil and we could get out of it after 2 years, gaining 7 mil in cap space after the dead money hit. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd given Barrett 1 mil less and Trent Williams 1 mil more in signing bonus and I'd have had both. But Barrett is simply a better player than Trey Hendrickson and paying Aaron Jones big money is unlikely to work out well. 

If I were running Tampa, I'd have let Godwin walk and traded one of Brate or Howard. You have good safeties with Winfield and Whitehead. Dumping Jensen and Smith for Andrews and Feiler are good moves. 

It can't be represented in TCMD but the real life Bucs can probably get a few vets like Evans and Jensen to take small paycuts to keep the band together. Keeping AB and Gronk should be simple. If they offer David and Barrett good money, even if not the most, they can probably keep them. Probably Suh too. Brady is likely to be willing to extend his contract with a restructure for 2021. 

In real life, when a player is claimed off waivers, it's his contract that is claimed and the new team has to pay the same as his old team. Isn't that how it works in TCMD? Bengals cut Josh Tupou because he's not worth his 2 mil salary but when KC claimed him he seems to only cost 920K. 

If players drop to min salary when placed on waivers, Jax could certainly take advantage of that.

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

In real life, when a player is claimed off waivers, it's his contract that is claimed and the new team has to pay the same as his old team. Isn't that how it works in TCMD? Bengals cut Josh Tupou because he's not worth his 2 mil salary but when KC claimed him he seems to only cost 920K. 

If players drop to min salary when placed on waivers, Jax could certainly take advantage of that.

Agreed, that’s why so many players clear waivers irl before being resigned as a free agent. I have not thought about this before. A change for next year maybe.

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

didn't know that...will fix that for next season.  

Thoughts on what the Giants have done so far leading up to the draft.

Transactions

Acquired Through Trade

• Royce Freeman - RB
    • Gives the Giants a power back, something we haven't had in the past few years.
  • Mike Williams - WR
    • What I consider a huge upgrade over our previous receiver group.
  • James Washington - WR
    • Receiver to push Slayton to take the next step and provides quality depth.
  • Senio Kelemete - G
    • Position battle at LG - Depth
  • Ryan Jensen - C
    • Experienced Center to replace the misfit currently at the position.

Acquired in Free Agency

UFA

• Jermaine Eluemunor - OL
    • Versatile player to provide depth across the offensive line.
  • James Hurst - T/G
    • Tackle to take the starting role if 3rd round pick Peart isn't ready.
  • Carlos Watkins - IDL
    • Run stuffer type to provide rotation at the line.  Can play either NT or DE.
  • Haason Reddick - 34OLB
    • Improvement at the edge position.
  • Yannick Ngakoue - 34OLB
    • Edge rusher
  • Nicholas Morrow - ILB
    • Coverage type inside linebacker to play next to Blake Martinez.
  • Michael Davis - CB
    • Improvement in the secondary
  • Damon Harrison - IDL
    • Rotation depth at IDL.
  • Marcell Harris - SS
    • Box safety to help out in special teams.

ERFA/RFA/Resign

• Austin Mack - WR
    • Depth/ST
  • Leonard Williams - 34DE
    • Retained as he's proven to be a top talent at his position.
  • Devante Downs - ILB
    • Depth, played well enough to tender.
  • Adrian Colbert - S
    • Depth

Waiver Wire

• Jonathan Hubbard - LT
    • PS
  • Coleman Shelton - LG
    • PS
  • Curtis Weaver - 34OLB
    • PS took a flyer on him in waiver wire.

Giants current roster.

Player Name Pos
Daniel Jones QB
Alex Tanney QB
Royce Freeman RB
Saquon Barkley RB
Taquan Mizzell RB
Jordan Chunn RB
Elijhaa Penny FB
Evan Engram TE
Kaden Smith TE
Levine Toilolo TE