2021 - TCMD GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

1 hour ago, mountainpd said:

Seen a few OLB plugged in as DE’s. Biggest head scratcher and sorry @DoleINGout but you claimed the award for boost improved D I like some of your pick ups but I see multiple players out of position. Would be better 34 with those players IMO , I recognise you may be short a true NT. with Fox, Judon, Biegel, Fackrell, and especially Hightower better in different roles.

I am keen to see some of the depth charts not listed yet to see how they are planning to line up.

I think of Hightower as playing an edge role between DE and OLB. He has played with his hand in the dirt before and been effective. His size, (6'3, 260+), put him in the DE range and his strength as a run defender is felt no matter where he lines up. It's why he has been my favorite player on the Patriots. I tried moving on from him for cap space and compensation but every offer or deal in place behind the scenes fell apart for one reason or another.

I liken the Patriots scheme to the Rams a bit, but with the emphasis on an extra safety in the secondary that Belichick has used as much as any base defense.

If in 3-4 with the current personnel, I like the edge combination of big OLB's in Hightower and Fackrell with Judon and Fox. There is so much athleticism and length, which is more of a modern trend in 3-4's versus the old formula seen with the Steelers. The guys on the Patriots are all strong run defenders, (including in the secondary), except for Vince Biegel, who is no worse than league average among starters at the ILB position.