2021 - TCMD GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

I still can't believe the Giants didn't draft an offensive lineman and the goon is lying about it.

Dave Gettleman defended the strength of the Giants’ offensive line on Saturday after failing to draft a single O-lineman with his six picks this weekend.

“It’s really apparent that we have a little more confidence in our offensive line players than you guys do,” Gettleman said to the assembled media on Zoom. “I’m just gonna say we’re happy with the group that we have.”

The GM’s retort contradicted his Friday comment that “we were looking at offensive linemen” in the second and third rounds and that the Giants “had our eye on two guys specifically … and they got taken before they got to us.”

It also contradicted his actions minutes later: the Giants signed UCLA/Baylor tackle Jake Burton and Florida center Brett Heggie as undrafted free agents to bolster their depth. That number could increase by the end of the weekend.

It’s just completely inaccurate to suggest the Giants’ offensive line is stable. Their own actions tell the story.

When Rob Sale was hired in February, he became the Giants’ third offensive line coach in a span of four months following the November firing of Marc Colombo and the murky postseason departure of Dave DeGuglilelmo.

The line is such a concern that Joe Judge now has four assistants assigned in some way to the front: Sale, senior offensive assistant Freddie Kitchens, assistant O-line coach Ben Wilkerson and consultant Pat Flaherty, the re-hired longtime former Giants O-line coach.

That’s practically one coach for each starting offensive lineman.

Their projected starting five from left to right is Andrew Thomas, Shane Lemieux, Nick Gates, free agent signing Zach Fulton and Matt Peart. Tackle Nate Solder is back from his 2020 opt out, and Will Hernandez and free agent signing Jonotthan Harrison are part of their interior depth. Hernandez was basically benched for the entire second half of the 2020 season. His status on the depth chart is unclear.

Gettleman and the Giants may have more confidence in their younger players developing than the average media member, but it is inaccurate to say the Giants weren’t looking for interior line help in this weekend’s draft. They simply saw teams take their guys ahead of them — just like what happened to them with the Alabama receivers in the first round.

“You’re always trying to get better and you’re not gonna just take a player to take a player,” Gettleman continued. “You’re gonna take him because you think he’s gonna improve the value of your team. Right now our offensive line is what it is. They are who they are. And we’re gonna move forward.”

All that’s riding on it is Daniel Jones’ make or break third season.

12 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I still can't believe the Giants didn't draft an offensive lineman and the goon is lying about it.

Jesus....  a multiple coaches for OL?   a lot of confusion for sure.

Edited by JetsandI

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

@DoleINGout

New England Patriots    
NE    
DoleINGout    

TCMD SELECTIONS PICK # IRL PICK #
2ND #14 | NE - Baron Browning - ILB 46 105
4TH #15 | NE - Ihmir Smith-Marsette - WR 119 157
5TH #14 | NE - Michal Menet - C 158 247
6TH #2 | NE - Mark Webb - CB 187 241
6TH #11 | NE - Adetokunbo Ogundeji - DE 196 182
7TH #15 | NE - Chris Evans - RB 240 202

TEAMS IRL DRAFT RND - PICK  
Mac Jones - QB - Alabama 1st - 15  
Jackson Carman - T - Clemson 2nd - 14  
Ronnie Perkins - DE - Oklahoma 3rd - 32  
Rhamondre Stevenson - RB - Oklahoma 4th - 15  
Cam McGrone - ILB - Michigan 5th - 33  
Joshuah Bledsoe - S - Missouri 6th - 4  
William Sherman - G - Colorado 6th - 13  
Tre Nixon - WR - Central Florida 7th - 14  

2nd round pick was 38 overall Christian Baremore

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Outside of Hawkins and Toney all where drafted ahead of where i got them and then i believe 4 or 5 of my UDFA's got drafted with Book being the earliest and other going in the sixth.

Nice....I forgot we even did a UDFA.  I'll have to check out that list.

Hey guys where can I find that list of UDFA signings?  I thought it might have been in a workbook but no such luck.  This took place right before my surgery so I don't remember a lot during that time frame.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Hey guys where can I find that list of UDFA signings?  I thought it might have been in a workbook but no such luck.  This took place right before my surgery so I don't remember a lot during that time frame.

Maybe in the draft topic?

@BringinDaPain did pretty good in the UDFA.

CAR D-0508 - Thomas Fletcher - LS 31.8% 6'2 231 lbs Sr. Alabama
CAR D-0459 - Chris Garrett - OLB 53.3% 6'4 245 lbs Sr. Concordia
CAR D-0278 - Malcolm Koonce - OLB 47.7% 6'3" 248 lbs Sr. Buffalo
CAR D-0380 - Shawn Davis - S 71.7% 5'11" 185 lbs Sr. Florida
CAR D-0319 - Noah Gray - TE 77.0% 6'4" 235 lbs Sr. Duke
CAR D-0129 - Dillon Stoner - WR 67.0% 6'0" 196 lbs Rs-Sr. Oklahoma State