2021 - TCMD GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

The issue I have always had with trading future picks is because in a single season mock draft they have absolutely zero value.

So what tends to happen is come late 3rd and 4th round the draft pick hoarders crawl out and start offering future picks to those members that believe there is value with these picks.  Getting a future first or second for a current 3rd or 4th. 

My plan for this evening/night is to clean up the guidelines as well as get sample workbooks for both roster and transaction.

As for the guidelines I tend to get long winded when typing this kind of stuff up, so if someone either a veteran or rookie would like to help me out with this I could definitely use it.  Might be helpful if a rookie member volunteered because I think it would really help the new guys wrap their head around it all.

Let me know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Future draft picks can be used on acquiring F tagged player or 1st round pick.. That's it... right?

Yes, I'm going to be going through the guidelines to clean up any confusion if you're interested in working with me on this project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

The issue I have always had with trading future picks is because in a single season mock draft they have absolutely zero value.

So what tends to happen is come late 3rd and 4th round the draft pick hoarders crawl out and start offering future picks to those members that believe there is value with these picks.  Getting a future first or second for a current 3rd or 4th. 

how about we put trades with future picks to your and squire's discretion? because, for example, MIA could very likely trade out of 3 and in that case a future pick would almost certainly be included.. 

Alright this is how the current rules are typed out for dealing with future picks.  Not much information on future picks other than just saying the "board" will need to approve it.

I personally don't mind allowing future picks to be traded if the trade looks legit.  Someone offering a future pick to get a deal done seems normal.  Where I have issue is when future draft picks are the meat of the deal when a player of value is being traded when in reality they should on all accounts get released to the open market.  This is considered a loophole by my understanding.  The loophole being I could offer up my 1st round future pick to a team that by all accounts is looking to release the player.  The future pick or picks that I'm offering have zero value in this type of mock but allowing the trade to happen I've just bypassed the open market and have landed a player without giving up any real compensation.  I value a 2021 7th round pick over 5 future first rounders. 

My point being is I don't mind you guys trading future draft picks but the trade needs to carry additional value and that it shouldn't be used to bypass the open market.  So I'm fine with keeping the rule as is where any trades involving future draft picks must be approved by a "board".  I'm also not a fan of trading future picks for current year picks, because most of the time, not all, but most of the time these are only done because one member is done scouting players and is just looking to unload their remaining late rounders.

Give the below rules a read and let me know if we you'd like any of these rules changed be happy to discuss this.

Thanks

Mike 

• All posted and accepted trades housed in the TCMD - TRADE thread will be considered approved unless otherwise stated by the board.   

• Although unlikely, we reserve the right to decline any trade that we feel would damage the integrity of TCMD.  If we consider the trade agreement so far one sided to the point we believe you are gaming the system, or that you are working on one team and a fan of another and we feel that you’re playing favorites we may ask that you rework the deal or simply decline the trade completely.

• Any trades involving future picks must be approved by the board

• No trade will be permitted that doesn’t adhere to salary cap rules.

• Cap Calculation:  The base salary and  base guarantees as well as the length of the contract carry over to the new team, and all signing bonuses are accelerated to the current year and applied as dead money.

• Players that you are NOT PERMITTED to trade at any time.

• Players that would put your current or following year’s salary cap in the negative

• Signed Exclusive Rights Free Agents - ERFA

• Tagged Players (prior to tender offer sheet deadline)

• Signed Restricted Free Agents

• Players acquired through tendered offer sheets.

• Players acquired through free agency - UFA, UDFA, Waiver Wire or PS

• The concept for the rules above were created under the good faith rule housed in the CBA.

@LuckyNumber11 @swoosh @ravens5520 @KingOfNewYork @BringinDaPain @Forge @sparky151 @cortes02 @D82 @BowserBroncos @winitall @squire12 @jch1911 @Counselor @pwny @samsel23 @Trojan @carrolljcmc @dcat @FinneasGage @Uncle Buck @DoleINGout @JetsandI @ny92mike @bcb1213 @T-rade @Cbrunn @Justone2 @Heymangold @mountainpd @Daniel @MikeT14

Edited by ny92mike
  • Like 2

So I guess my first question is — I have about 6 other fans who are going to be helping me with this, so I’ll be setting up a war room shortly.

But what info here (or maybe not here yet) would be pertinent to either distribute to these guys or to have linked to in the war room?

Just now, pwny said:

So I guess my first question is — I have about 6 other fans who are going to be helping me with this, so I’ll be setting up a war room shortly.

But what info here (or maybe not here yet) would be pertinent to either distribute to these guys or to have linked to in the war room?

I'd link the League Office thread.  

It will or currently houses all of the workbooks pertaining to this mock draft.  Guidelines/schedule (which I'm currently working on fixing the dates) it also contains links to the official team rosters, free agency, waiver wire, draft board and probably a few other links that I'm forgetting at the moment.

I did notice a rule within the Draft section of the guidelines that stats, Future Draft Picks cannot be traded. (last line below)  

This rule was put in place to prevent a trade that required approval while on the clock.  If we were to veto a trade after the fact it would just screw up the entire draft if we had to go back to address it.

I'll clarify that within the guidelines. 

NFL Draft
A Google Doc draft board will be available to everyone, this link will be housed in the draft thread within the forum.  The Draft Board will be updated manually as the draftees are selected as well as update the draft order as draft picks are traded.  In addition, to what we are calling the master board each team will be provided a copy that is linked to this master board for their own private use to create big boards should you wish to use it.  

Note:  Teams are encouraged but by no means enforced to negotiate trades prior to being on the clock as waiting until you are on the clock simply slows the draft down when teams are waiting on a possible trade that likely isn’t going to happen.

Within the draft board doc, a complete list of declared draftees is available, should you not see a player within the list that you believe should be listed, you’ll need to notify the Draft Board Managers as soon as possible.  They will determine if the player is eligible to be drafted, if so he’ll be added to the list.  Please DO NOT wait until the time you make your selection to notify us as this could delay the draft and if the player isn't eligible could cost you a draft pick or at the very least picking late as they research this information.

• The first pick of the day starts at 10am EST. The last pick of the day ends at 10pm EST.

• Every pick regardless of the round will be allotted a 40 minute window to make your selection.

IMPORTANT READ:  Remember, the clock stops for no one, regardless of round or the person holding the pick.  So if you know that you won’t be around to make it either send one of the TCMD lead members a big board or assign a member of your war room to make the selection. 

Should you miss your time slot, you may make your selection at anytime, but if you wait longer than 24 hours, the TCMD lead members will make the selection for you but also be aware that if you continue to miss your time slots, your GM status will be removed and you will be replaced with a willing participant.  This applies to the later rounds as well.  If the lead members are forced to make your selection, we will not change the selection made should you return, no exceptions as it just complicates things for the other GM’s.  

• Compensatory Draft Picks

• The projected listing from overthecap.com will be used to determine draft pick compensation.  Once the compensation has been determined any updated version or IRL listing will not be used as teams may already have traded these picks.  

• If you didn’t know already, these can be traded.

• Future Draft Picks cannot be traded.

The last thing I was looking to get some feedback on is with the UDFA.  One of those sections within a mock draft that never really got much attention, yet some members want it included while others could care less.

This is the currently what I've got for the UDFA but as you can tell it is a work in progress, any suggestions would be helpful.  If not I'll figure something out before we need to worry about it.  

Undrafted Free Agents - UDFA

NOTE:  The following guidelines for this event are subject to change.

There is definitely a correlation to the number of players as well as to the quality of depth a team has on their active roster to the number of players that are claimed with the UDFA.  So in an effort to put some realism into this phase of the mock draft, a percentage weight is applied to the point system that will be used for this event.

• You will be provided a total of 100 tokens to sign a max of 20 UDFA.

• Each team will be provided a percentage value based on the number and quality of depth at each position.  Therefore, your chances are increased of being awarded players where you have a greater need.

• For example; you are using 10 of your 100 tokens to bid on a cornerback.  The league average graded percentage value for this position is 65%, your active roster depth grade value is 75%, so your need to better this position isn’t needed when compared to the rest of the league, making your positional need percentage 87%.  The 10 tokens you used to bid on this player is now valued at 8.66% where if another team was bidding the same amount of tokens (10) with a depth grade value of 45%, their tokens are now valued at 14.44.

• Regardless of how many or few tokens are used to acquire these players, the contracts are fixed 1 year deals at the vet minimum.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

@pwny

I'm trying to send you a pm. But can't.  Is your inbox full?