Federal appeals court dismisses Ezekiel Elliott case.

///mcompact

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I almost think of it in terms of contract law in this way. The teams are paying the players to play. The players play to attain money. Since a contract needs consideration on both sides legally playing needs to be a "burden" on the players. If it is is a benefit, such that saying they can't play is considered harm, Then what is the consideration the player gives in the contract?

Now I know since consideration only needs to be present rather than equal they could claim the requirement that they show up for practice and keep in shape is the consideration, but common sense, not to mention NFLPA statements and player statements in contract situations, make it a hard sell to say that they don't view playing as the burden/consideration in the contract.

EDIT: And for you tree analogy it is irreparable harm to the environment/ecosystem of the area  and groups that sue are standing in for that, not themselves. In this situation the team has irreparable harm, I never argued otherwise, but I don't think it should be considered a harm to the players.

You don't need a benefit and a burden. You can have a benefit and a benefit in contract law.

Just now, mse326 said:

Exactly. But that means their services are a burden for them to give, not a benefit.

No, it doesn't. Actors/actresses are a great comparison. Being wrongfully denied the opportunity to act in a blockbuster film could be an irreparable harm.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No, it doesn't. Actors/actresses are a great comparison. Being wrongfully denied the opportunity to act in a blockbuster film could be an irreparable harm.

Do you have a case that forces the producers to hire the actor/actress or retain them if already hired? Or do you just believe that is irreparable harm?

I know some theories of consideration are moving away from the benefit-detriment theory, but that is still the oldest and and primary theory.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Do you have a case that forces the producers to hire the actor/actress or retain them if already hired? Or do you just believe that is irreparable harm?

I know some theories of consideration are moving away from the benefit-detriment theory, but that is still the oldest and and primary theory.

Not off the top of my head. It's an analogy to show that trading services for compensation isn't necessarily a burden. Plus, the benefit-detriment theory is largely being abandoned for the bargain theory.

However, I do have at least four or five cases that found irreparable harm in the same situation as Zeke's (as I said previously).

On 10/15/2017 at 7:23 PM, mse326 said:

sort of off topic, are both you and jrry lawyers/in law school?

45 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

sort of off topic, are both you and jrry lawyers/in law school?

I graduated law school and passed the bar but don't currently work as a lawyer, though am still a member. 

I believe @jrry32 just graduated in the last year or 2 from law school. I think he works as a lawyer but am not sure.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I graduated law school and passed the bar but don't currently work as a lawyer, though am still a member. 

I believe @jrry32 just graduated in the last year or 2 from law school. I think he works as a lawyer but am not sure.

This is correct.

Archived