2021 Total Control Mock Draft (TCMD) GB WAR ROOM (Pick 253= Marlon Williams WR Central Florida)

squire12

Green Bay Packers announce the contract restructure for Billy Turner

0226 - Billy Turner - RT

2021 cap savings = $1.722M

2022 cap increase = $1.722M

0226 - Billy Turner - RT
Enter "New" 2021 Base Salary Amount $1,080,000
Base salary amount must be between vet min and current base salary amount.
Restructure Data  
Fixed Contract Length 2
Base Salary Converted to Bonus $3,445,000
Proration of Converted Base Salary $1,722,500
2021 Base Gtd Converted to Proration  
Total amount converted to proration $1,722,500
Contract Structured Criteria  
Player Name Validation Pass
Restructure Allotment Pass
Vet. Min Ruling Pass
Valid Restructured Contract
2021 Savings: $1,722,500
2022 Savings: -$1,722,500
Restructure Allotment $2,506,500
2021 Salary Cap

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Josh Jackson + ??? pick for Michael Gallup

GO

eh... I dunno. Josh Jackson is not worth much, but I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for Gallup for a 1 year rental, and not in love with his game in this offense to pay him market value after a year. 

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

eh... I dunno. Josh Jackson is not worth much, but I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for Gallup for a 1 year rental, and not in love with his game in this offense to pay him market value after a year. 

understood.   it is a 1 year mock, so the future is less involved.  I do still try to do this with a long term view in mind.  

I think he is a piece that would work really well opposite Adams and be a better long term signing than MVS

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

understood.   it is a 1 year mock, so the future is less involved.  I do still try to do this with a long term view in mind.  

I think he is a piece that would work really well opposite Adams and be a better long term signing than MVS

I don't disagree, he is a better player than MVS. I have no idea if Gallup can or has been asked to block, but you know he will be in this offense. He will probably cost $12-$15MM, which is fine if we get a comp pick back. I guess I would trade Jackson and a 4? Would be hard for me to bump that to a 3 but I probably would if needed. Above that is a hard no. Would rather just trade Love and use one of the 2nds to draft a WR with cheap control for 4 years. The recent hit rate on 2nd round WRs is so good it lowers my interest in using a high pick to trade for one.

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I don't disagree, he is a better player than MVS. I have no idea if Gallup can or has been asked to block, but you know he will be in this offense. He will probably cost $12-$15MM, which is fine if we get a comp pick back. I guess I would trade Jackson and a 4? Would be hard for me to bump that to a 3 but I probably would if needed. Above that is a hard no. Would rather just trade Love and use one of the 2nds to draft a WR with cheap control for 4 years. The recent hit rate on 2nd round WRs is so good it lowers my interest in using a high pick to trade for one.

I have no idea on the blocking exploits of Gallup.   I hope the GB staff is not going to pigeon hole themselves too much into having that be a huge requirement for a WR

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I have no idea on the blocking exploits of Gallup.   I hope the GB staff is not going to pigeon hole themselves too much into having that be a huge requirement for a WR

I don't either, but imo our interest in Will Fuller should give you a good idea of how much we value it. If we weren't budging for more than a 4th, not sure we would go any higher for Gallup. However you do you baby, I would like us to be more aggressive and I think Gallup helps us more this coming year than a 3rd round pick does. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:51 AM, squire12 said:

Transactions

Good grief that's a lot of kicking the cap down the road. And that's with a flat cap - what would you be doing if the salary cap was down to 180m ?  We'd be restructuring the locker room - selling it off to buy pack in 2023. Guess a mock would be boring if it had to have some sense of connection to the real world. 

13 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Good grief that's a lot of kicking the cap down the road. And that's with a flat cap - what would you be doing if the salary cap was down to 180m ?  We'd be restructuring the locker room - selling it off to buy pack in 2023. Guess a mock would be boring if it had to have some sense of connection to the real world. 

Based on how the restructures and extensions are set up, Bahktiari wouldn't have saved as much in this TCMD mock as he did in real life.

Adams extension is I think 80% likely to happen

Z Smith probably 50% likely to happen

The Amos and Turner restructure are pretty small in the grand schof cap space considerations.

Rodgers is the interesting one as it makes Love hard to capitalize during the rookie contract. 

You are right in that it would be no fun for 1/3 of the teams to be just cutting players to get under the cap.

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

Based on how the restructures and extensions are set up, Bahktiari wouldn't have saved as much in this TCMD mock as he did in real life.

Adams extension is I think 80% likely to happen

Z Smith probably 50% likely to happen

The Amos and Turner restructure are pretty small in the grand schof cap space considerations.

Rodgers is the interesting one as it makes Love hard to capitalize during the rookie contract. 

You are right in that it would be no fun for 1/3 of the teams to be just cutting players to get under the cap.

Yes but that's with a flat cap of about 200m   If you are doing that much restructuring and extending with 200m, what would you do if its down to 180m ?   I get it, its a mock and you have to have fun with it but I think a lot of fans seem to think these restructures/extensions are free money. In reality they probably make you less competitive in future seasons.

Not sure what I think about the extensions if they happen.  Generally I dislike having too many big 3rd contracts, it leaves you with players on the decline, more prone to injury on big contracts that quickly look horrible contracts, more so if you have pushed cap hits back into them like what is going on here. I do want a competitive team next season though.

I didn't like the Love pick but at this point, they probably want that 2022 option.  What they do with Rodgers contract will be very telling. If they are planning to with Love they probably aren't going to put him in a position where they can't give him much help as they fighting against the cap.

19 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Yes but that's with a flat cap of about 200m   If you are doing that much restructuring and extending with 200m, what would you do if its down to 180m ? 

It all intertwines.  Bigger cap means contracts are bigger.  

Smaller cap means UFA might be / should be signed for cheaper.

I get it, its a mock and you have to have fun with it but I think a lot of fans seem to think these restructures/extensions are free money. In reality they probably make you less competitive in future seasons.

Not sure what I think about the extensions if they happen.  Generally I dislike having too many big 3rd contracts, it leaves you with players on the decline, more prone to injury on big contracts that quickly look horrible contracts, more so if you have pushed cap hits back into them like what is going on here. I do want a competitive team next season though.

At some point, taking that risk might be needed.

I didn't like the Love pick but at this point, they probably want that 2022 option.  What they do with Rodgers contract will be very telling. If they are planning to with Love they probably aren't going to put him in a position where they can't give him much help as they fighting against the cap.

Possible for sure.

Fans making way too much out of the Love situation. Raw out of college. No training camp last year and possibly no training camp this year. Took 3rd string reps in practice (near zero) and is under contract until 2024. Rodgers got a new contract and started in his fourth year. Unless you have weirdness (Favre situation) these things always work themselves out. Why all the panic about making a declaration or a time line ?? 

Edited by cannondale

***ROUND TWO - FREE AGENCY BIDDING RESULTS***

GB targeted Sheldon Rankins, Angelo Blackson, Darqueze Dennard.   GB was awarded all 3 of them

Rankins and Blackson will add to the DL and solidify the depth and increase the quality along the DL and give help to Kenny Clark

Dennard will compete with Kevin Johnson and Chandon Sullivan for starting CB spots opposite Jaire Alexander

Contract details below

Angelo Blackson Base Salary Base Guar. Prorated
  $990,000   $2,000,000
  $2,186,000   $2,000,000
  $3,441,800   $2,000,000
  $5,074,340   $2,000,000

$11,692,140   $8,000,000

Sheldon Rankins Base Salary Base Guar. Prorated
  $990,000   $500,000
  $1,500,000   $500,000
  $2,100,000   $500,000
  $2,700,000   $500,000

$7,290,000   $2,000,000

Darquez Dennard Base Salary Base Guar. Prorated
  $990,000   $1,100,000
  $1,800,000   $1,100,000
  $2,600,000   $1,100,000
  $3,700,000   $1,100,000

$9,090,000   $4,400,000

Edited by squire12

Updated Depth Chart

Several holes to fill in the starting units.  
RB:  AJ Dillon likely ascends to RB1, but there is not anything on the roster behind him with much NFL game experience
C  Jenkins can slide into that slot, but then an opening at LG emerges.  
CB:  Johnson slotted in as starter.   Chandon Sullivan back in the slot.  (adding Dennard along with Kevin Johnson + returning of Sullivan means those 3 can battle for the spots opposite Jaire and the slot CB.  Allows options for draft to be BPA)
DL:  Hole to fill, Keke has a shot to do so, but then the depth is non-existent.  (adding Rankins and Blackson adds depth and more flexibility for the draft.  Still probably need a 2nd run plugger for back up to Clark)

Thoughts???

STARTER         ERFA RFA UFA
QB Aaron Rodgers Jordan Love       Randy Ramsey Chandon Sullivan Kevin King
RB AJ Dillon Patrick Taylor       Kabion Ento Will Redmond Aaron Jones
FB   John Lovett       Yosh Nijman Raven Greene Corey Linsley
WR Davante Adams Devin Funchess Chris Blair     Allan Lazard Tyler Lancaster Jamaal Williams
WR MVS EQ       Malik Taylor Tim Boyle Lane Taylor
WR Allan Lazard Malik Taylor         Robert Tonyan Tyler Ervin
TE Robert Tonyan Josiah Deguara Jace Sternberger Dominique Dafney     Parry Nickerson Montravius Adams
LT David Bahktiari Yosh Nijman Ray Wilbom         Marcedes Lewis
LG Elgton Jenkins Simon Stepaniak Ben Braden     UFA   James Burgess
C   Chad Hanson       Austin Reiter Extension Tavon Austin
RG Lucas Patrick John Runyan       Kevin Johnson Z Smith Damon Harrison
RT Billy Turner Rick Wagner       Roy Robertson Harris Adams Billy Winn
            Chad Hanson    
  STARTER         Sheldon Rankins    
LDE Dean Lowry Angelo Blackson Bronson Kaufusi     Angelo Blackson Restructures  
NT Kenny Clark         Darqueze Dennard Rodgers  
RDE Sheldon Rankins Kingsley Keke         Amos  
WLB Preston Smith Rashan Gary Randy Ramsey       Turner  
LILB Krys Barnes Oren Burks            
RILB Christian Kirksey Kamal Martin Ty Summers          
SLB Za'Darius Smith Jonathan Garvin            
LCB Jaire Alexander Josh Jackson            
SS Adrian Amos Innis Gaines            
FS Darnell Savage Vernon Scott Henry Black          
RCB Kevin Johnson Ka'dar Hollman Kabion Ento          
Slot CB Darqueze Dennard Chandon Sullivan            

STARTER