GDT: Texans vs Browns

UKTexans

sSUn9HRpYLQtEFF2aG9T8Q_96x96.png vs  bTzlW33n9s53DxRzmlZXyg_96x96.png

Background

• Texans lead the series 5-3 having won 5 of the last 6 outings, 3-1 in Houston.
  • Offensively the Texans are 12th in yards gained and 4th in points scored, the Browns rank 21st and 31st respectively.
  • Defensively the Texans are 13th in yards allowed and 28th in points conceded, the Browns rank 5th and 25th respectively.
  • The Texans' 124 points in their past three games are more than they scored in any stretch of six games last season. Averaging 418 yards, they have also surpassed 30 points in three consecutive games for the first time in franchise history. Deshaun Watson has thrown nine touchdown passes in his past eight quarters, another franchise record and unprecedented for an NFL rookie quarterback.
  • The Browns have the Texans' top draft pick in 2018, but the Texans have Deshaun Watson – and they don't have Brock Osweiler, who, of course, is now back in Denver.

News

• Kevin Hogan will start at QB for Cleveland 
  • Lamarr Houston & Kendall Langford were signed by the Texans

Key Matchups

• Texans Offensive Line vs Myles Garrett
  • Texans Front Seven vs Browns Offensive Line
  • Texans Secondary vs Any Browns Player

Injuries

• Mercilus, K.Johnson & Watt (Texans) 
  • Britt & Burgess (Browns)

Prediction

• Texans 35 - Browns 17

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Going to be interesting to see Myles Garrett against our OL. Racked up two sacks in his debut, so he's as good as advertised.

Hope Watson goes all Bo vs Boz on Garrett and jukes the heck out of him. 

I'm cautiously optimistic here. At first glance, you automatically think that Houston will win easily. The Browns look terrible on paper. That said, this is the type of game that catches you by surprise and make the fan base call for everyone's head. Cleveland is better in the trenches than people give them credit for, and that can spell trouble. Give MOST QBs lots of time, and they'll find the open receiver. Against this secondary, as Apollo says, Kareem Jackson will make sure someone goes off that shouldn't. My money's on Kenny Britt, because, well why not? On the other side, they can create some pressure. To now, Watson has handled it superbly, but you can't expect him to be Superman EVERY week.

That said, my cautious optimism comes from the work that ol' Ricky has been putting in. Lamarr Houston and Langford aren't splash signings, but I think they can make the front 7 better than before through depth. Without Merc and Watt staying on the field for most plays, there can be a better rotation, keeping players fresher, longer. Fresh players in the front 7 makes for better pressure later in the game. Assuming that he plays and isn't awful, Dorian Johnson could make Sua-Filo a bad memory sooner than later, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I'm still saying that Houston wins pretty convincingly, with Lamar Miller over 100 with a TD, Foreman with 60 and a TD, Watson throws for 2 and Fairbarin adds 2 FGs.  34-9 Texans.

Time and Venue:
Sunday, Oct 15, 2017 • 12:00 PM CT • NRG Stadium (71,795) • Houston, Texas
nrg1__banner.jpg

Radio: SportsRadio610 (610 AM, 100.3 FM)
Marc Vandermeer Play-By-Play, Andre Ware Color Analyst, John Harris Sideline

Television: 
06-CBS-E-V3.png
Anchorage AK | Fairbanks | AK Honolulu HI (red)

New England @ NY Jets Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts (red)

Miami @ Atlanta Greg Gumbel, Trent Green (blue)
Cleveland @ Houston Andrew Catalon, James Lofton (green)
NO GAME due to local team at home on FOX (grey)

Preview:
You Tube

Roster Flip Card: PDF

Officiating Crew: Brad Allen "Brad Allen explains ruling on game-sealing fumble TD"

Uniform Combination: Steel Blue Jerseys/Steel Blue Pants

Weather: 85° F Mostly Cloudy partly-cloudy-day.png
Full Weather: Link 

Roof: Closed

Parking:
Platinum Lot Opens: 7:00 AM
All Other Parking Lots Open: 8:00 AM
Parking_Map_HEB.jpg

Flag Holders: Members of the Toros Bravos and Texans Season Ticket Members
Homefield Advantage Captains: NASA Astronaut, Commander Shane Kimbrough
National Anthem: Acclaimed opera singer Nancy Curtis
Color Guard: United States Coast Guard
Coin Toss Captain:  National Youth Ambassador for Hyundai Hop on Wheels, Ryan Darby
Halftime: Kilgore College Rangerettes

Go Texans!

Great work as always, Tom!

I don't think this will be quiet the blowout most think it'll be. It all depends on if we can generate a some pass rush, and have the OL contain Garrett. If he's playing more snaps this week, and it's on run downs, I would just run it down his throat and tire him out.

Texans DE Kendall Langford is inactive Sunday versus the Browns. CB Kevin Johnson, S Corey Moore, C Kyle Fuller, RB Jordan Todman, ILB Ben Heeney and G Dorian Johnson are also inactive for the Texans' Week 6 game versus Cleveland.

Langford is a surprising inactive.  I would think the team wants to see what he has to offer.

4 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Langford is a surprising inactive.  I would think the team wants to see what he has to offer.

I wasn't actually as suprised by Langford. He's been out for a while, they probably want to get him in game shape.

Kyle Fuller and Dorian Johnson were the one's that bother me. As terrible as Su'a-Filo has been, I would think that either one of them SHOULD be able to beat him for one of the guard spots. I'm seriously starting to think that Smith and O'Brien are trying to avoid the conversations about him being a bust by continuing to trot him out there. Egos not wanting to take the hit.

2 minutes ago, shep0507 said:

I wasn't actually as suprised by Langford. He's been out for a while, they probably want to get him in game shape.

Kyle Fuller and Dorian Johnson were the one's that bother me. As terrible as Su'a-Filo has been, I would think that either one of them SHOULD be able to beat him for one of the guard spots. I'm seriously starting to think that Smith and O'Brien are trying to avoid the conversations about him being a bust by continuing to trot him out there. Egos not wanting to take the hit.

I honestly think they are trying to showcase XSF to see if they can get something in trade for him (player or 6th / 7th rounder)

Archived