GDT: Texans vs Browns

UKTexans

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Hey don't knock Matty Schaub!

Wasn't meant as a knock so much as recognizing the only person who has ever looked at least slightly competent behind center for us before this year.

I still remember the year we lost him to Albert Haynesworth. We were basically Super Bowl caliber with him in the pocket. Shame how it all ended - both that year and Schaub's tenure.

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

How could you hate

3x 4,000 yard seasons

5x QBR 90+ seasons

2x Pro Bowl seasons 

He was no Tom Brady but a lot of teams would have loved to have had Schaub

Never won big games, he was carried by the offensive talent around him. He should have posted better numbers. Left too many plays on the field. He just didn't have it

8 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Never won big games, he was carried by the offensive talent around him. He should have posted better numbers. Left too many plays on the field. He just didn't have it

I'll agree he didn't/wasn't a big game kinda guy - but I think that was more of an indictment on the entire team, not just Matty Fire.

He wasn't as bad as people made him out to be, but wasn't as good as his production indicated.

I liked Schaub. He was a system QB that fit what Kubiak wanted to do. His best season was a one point a top 5 all time in terms of passing yards. You dont get that by being carried by the talent around you. He was solid, but he was controlled by Kubiak. He didnt audible, and he ran exactly what he was told to run. His 2009 regular season was one of the best regular seasons ever by some measurements, Lead the league in passing yards, won Pro Bowl MVP.

Its going to take Watson years to break Schuabs franchise records. 

He really had a crazy end to his career, all part of that insane season we had back in 2013 where he started throwing pick 6s at an incredible level. 

Schaub ended his career with the Texans on a sour note but he was a good QB for this team. Coming off the eve of David Carr, he was a godsend. Too bad he was handcuffed by Kubiak, I thought we could've got a lot more out of him, but it is what it is. 

Schaub was the exact type of QB who handcuffed teams. He wasn't bottom 10, but you weren't winning a super bowl with him. He was good enough to make you nervous of trying to find a replacement in fear of getting someone worse. It is what it is at this point, but Schaub was what he was, average at best

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, amazingandre said:

Schaub was the exact type of QB who handcuffed teams. He wasn't bottom 10, but you weren't winning a super bowl with him. He was good enough to make you nervous of trying to find a replacement in fear of getting someone worse. It is what it is at this point, but Schaub was what he was, average at best

We will never know but I honestly feel we could have won the SB with him at QB had he not gotten hurt in 2011.  Those last 3 games we lost could have given us homefield in the AFC had we won the games. 

10 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

We will never know but I honestly feel we could have won the SB with him at QB had he not gotten hurt in 2011.  Those last 3 games we lost could have given us homefield in the AFC had we won the games. 

Confirmed by us being even better in 2012, 11-1 thru wk13.  I will forever blame Kubiak for abusing Foster that season (with an assist from lazy gutless Ben Tate) leading us to limping across the finish line at 1-3. Let's not forget that Wade Phillips teams almost ALWAYS crater in Dec/Jan as well as bend-don't break just lets good QBs walk down the middle of the field in crunch time. In typical Rick Smith fashion, we never had any depth so we weren't built to survive into the playoffs.  Won't go so far as us being a Super Bowl team because - Patriots, but we had a puncher's chance and we were still better than the Giants or Ravens who have rings.  Laughable that Eli & Flacco continue off those seasons as neither were as good as Schaub and their career numbers continue to bear that out.   The 2017 Chiefs remind me a bit of those peak Texans teams with a game manager QB who operates at peak when the running game is clicking and he can roast you when DBs and LBs start cheating to the run game.  Schaub's implosion at the end was as spectacular as it gets, but ultimately, he belongs somewhere between Romo - Dalton as efficient QBs who could string together some runs of really good QB play with some clunkers thrown in until the inevitable collapse.  Sure, he lacked the clutch gene, but there are much more talented QBs who have done less with more like Palmer, Stafford, and yes, Andrew Luck.   

Archived