2021 New York Jets State of the Roster

KingOfNewYork

And we do not have a LEO?  Does Henrickson from NO play the LEO role? Do we have anyone on the roster that can play the OLB role? I think Cashman is one but too unreliable. Where would Huff and Zuniga fit?  Could Hewitt, if brought back like I think, play OLB or just backup Mosley.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

And we do not have a LEO?  Does Henrickson from NO play the LEO role? Do we have anyone on the roster that can play the OLB role? I think Cashman is one but too unreliable. Where would Huff and Zuniga fit?  Could Hewitt, if brought back like I think, play OLB or just backup Mosley.

Huff would more likely play the LEO Role while Zuniga seems like more of a traditional DE on the other side. Hendrickson could work probably but I think the LB core is gonna need work

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The thing about running the 4-3 Under is we would need Elite DB play and in the 4-3 Wide 9 we need Elite front play both at EDGE and Linebacker. 

I would think good DB play is needed no matter the system. Any system requires good DB’s and good DL. The linebackers may vary in skill set depending on the system but regardless they need to be good also.

Coaches should design a scheme to get maximum results with the players he has. The system may change over time as more players with scheme specific traits are acquired to run the desired D or O. In the end none of it is worth crap if we do not have good FB players. 

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

I would think good DB play is needed no matter the system. Any system requires good DB’s and good DL. The linebackers may vary in skill set depending on the system but regardless they need to be good also.

Coaches should design a scheme to get maximum results with the players he has. The system may change over time as more players with scheme specific traits are acquired to run the desired D or O. In the end none of it is worth crap if we do not have good FB players. 

Every scheme is different, when you design a scheme around pressuring the QB with 4 then the DL is much more vital than backend. That's how Saleh did it, Belichick is the opposite, he's scheme is build back to front with Corners being on a island and pressuring the QB with heat coming from all over.

If we run the Wide 9 then our linebackers have to be able to play run/pass effectively, we have a lot of thumpers at ILB but luckily LB is like Running Back where the talent pool is really deep so you can find guys if you search deep enough. 

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If we run the Wide 9 then our linebackers have to be able to play run/pass effectively, we have a lot of thumpers at ILB but luckily LB is like Running Back where the talent pool is really deep so you can find guys if you search deep enough. 

The LEO is typically in the Wide 9 position, correct?  Can Mosley play OLB or is he strictly MLB?

If LB is easier to find would it not make sense to then address CB earlier?  This is assuming we do not address CB in FA. 

22 minutes ago, xrade said:

The LEO is typically in the Wide 9 position, correct?  Can Mosley play OLB or is he strictly MLB?

If LB is easier to find would it not make sense to then address CB earlier?  This is assuming we do not address CB in FA. 

Almost interchangeable.    LEO could line up shoulder to shoulder to T.   Wide 9 is far from T. Close to Y spot.

Just check out Jason Babin of Eagles some time ago.   I remembered his head was too close to ground and farther from T. I was like what the hell was he doing over there. 

Edited by JetsandI

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Almost exchangeable.    LEO could line up shoulder to shoulder to T.   Wide 9 is far from T. Close to Y spot.

Just check out Jason Babin of Eagles some time ago.   I remembered his head was too close to ground and farther from T. I was like what the hell was he doing over there. 

But it is the LEO playing wide? And yes, I do remember the Eagles because I believe they either started the whole thing or at least made it a big part of their D. Did not remember it was Babin.

This has me thinking if getting an EDGE type OLB to play the Wide 9 has merit. We could have 3 down linemen with the “OLB” playing the wide 9 position. He could then either rush, drop into coverage or play the outside run. We could still keep that look by having the LEO play in the spot at times but with much less pass coverage responsibility. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

But it is the LEO playing wide? And yes, I do remember the Eagles because I believe they either started the whole thing or at least made it a big part of their D. Did not remember it was Babin.

This has me thinking if getting an EDGE type OLB to play the Wide 9 has merit. We could have 3 down linemen with the “OLB” playing the wide 9 position. He could then either rush, drop into coverage or play the outside run. We could still keep that look by having the LEO play in the spot at times but with much less pass coverage responsibility. 

LEO only performs in weakside.  Yes, he can line up like Wide 9.   That is why I have been thinking of Bryce Huff there. His athleticism could work in LEO and Wide 9 combination.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

No the LEO is in the 4-3 Under think Cliff Avril in Seattle.

I think you have to build based on what is available to you if a backer who fits is available then grab him, if a Corner who fits is available grab him. Same with D-Line and then adjust until all the pieces come together. 

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

No the LEO is in the 4-3 Under think Cliff Avril in Seattle.

I should think Q will play UT when Fats is out there. He would line up as a tradition DT when Fats is off the field. The DE’s will still play the C gaps and off tackle. 

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

I should think Q will play UT when Fats is out there. He would line up as a tradition DT when Fats is off the field. The DE’s will still play the C gaps and off tackle. 

I mean it depends on what type of front he wants to use, we still dont know for sure yet. With either option Q will be fine, JFM as well. Fatukasi I'm not 100% sure on, he can play NT or even 1T in a 4-3 Under but in a Wide 9 defense I dont see the fit.

I don't think Jeff Ulbrich had ever run wide 9 base but Dan Quinn's defense featuring LEO.  I don't know if Saleh wants wide 9 defense ( two ends far from inline) or let Ulbrich run the defense he knows best which is under 4-3 (LEO line up at 7-9T or back).

I don't think Saleh will wait until to see who are available for Jets' defense. He sets up the defense and JD fills out with players that may fit this scheme.   JD basically goes for big, fast and athletic players.