2021 New York Jets State of the Roster

KingOfNewYork

I think barring any out of the blue crazy signings or trades. If the Jets were to sign anymore FA players they will be role players i.e. depth players. That in no way disparages the moves made by J.D. 

But I think it is safe to say, that at least at the WR position we are set and ER is not a pressing need in the draft. Hopefully Jabari can break the injury bug over the last 3 seasons both in college and following him into the NFL.

But I believe if a ER is available in the later rounds the Jets could take a flyer on one. Patrick Johnson of Tulane is someone I would like to see the Jets grab in the later round.

So going forward, other than the QB question, OL should be a number 1 priority, be it in round one or no later than round 2. Perhaps double dip and include a C in the mix.

A few things I'm thinking about is with the OG spot, the RB position and the WRs we signed.

First WR.  The signings are guys not typical of a shanny offense so is Lafleur going to tweek things?  We have some really big WRs that are physically imposing.  Going to be interesting to see how Mims and Davis are used.

OG seems like a position of great need but one that wasn't addressed early on.  There weren't any studs really outside of Thuney which we couldn't land given the KC offer but I'm curious of their feelings about Clark.  He was highly regarded coming out so maybe they feel he can push for a starting spot.  Worth watching for sure.  I think 23 or 34 is going to be a plug a play OG though without question though and maybe a competition between the pick, GVR, and Clark for the two open spots.  Going to be interesting to watch.

Lastly the RB spot I don't see JD making a big investment here.  I really think they like Adams and Ty.  I would really like someone with game breaking speed to push Perine out of the 3rd RB position.  Another interesting spot to watch.

Edited by Rockice_8

I agree that RB isn’t an area we’re going to spend big on. Going all the way back to Terrell Davis, the Shanahan offense seems to find productive backs. Recently guys like Mostert, Brieda and Jeff Wilson have been really good for the Niners. I’m interested in seeing how they use Ty Johnson and expect a mid to late round pick possibly on a running back. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

I agree that RB isn’t an area we’re going to spend big on. Going all the way back to Terrell Davis, the Shanahan offense seems to find productive backs. Recently guys like Mostert, Brieda and Jeff Wilson have been really good for the Niners. I’m interested in seeing how they use Ty Johnson and expect a mid to late round pick possibly on a running back. 

I really like Gainwell in round 3. We would have Ty as the speedy off tackle/B gap RB, Adams as the power back and Gainwell as the pass catching jack-of-all-trades back. Perine can go to the PS. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, JohnnyHectorFan said:

I want another Freeman Mc Neil, we got him in early in the first round, great player who played on bad Jet teams. THAT IS ONE POSITION where we always had outstanding RB's and Most of the RB we had is the past were great catching passes out of the backfield. Even the player who has the same name as you was a very productive player. Those type players have been missing on the Jets roster for way to many years. Even when we got LT from the Chargers he had two real good years with us at the end of his career. I just got a feeling if one of those top RB's are still on the board when we pick at 23 or 34 Douglas with pick one. Both the 23 & 34 picks will be a O line guard & RB but don't no what order it will be. They are our two biggest needs.

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I want another Freeman Mc Neil, we got him in early in the first round, great player who played on bad Jet teams. THAT IS ONE POSITION where we always had outstanding RB's and Most of the RB we had is the past were great catching passes out of the backfield. Even the player who has the same name as you was a very productive player. Those type players have been missing on the Jets roster for way to many years. Even when we got LT from the Chargers he had two real good years with us at the end of his career. I just got a feeling if one of those top RB's are still on the board when we pick at 23 or 34 Douglas with pick one. Both the 23 & 34 picks will be a O line guard & RB but don't know what order it will be. They are our two biggest heneeds. To fair we all thought when we got Bell he was going to be great like he was with the Steelers, but he was a major BUST.

Edited by doumeyer