2021 New York Jets State of the Roster

KingOfNewYork

47 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I want another Freeman Mc Neil, we got him in early in the first round, great player who played on bad Jet teams. THAT IS ONE POSITION where we always had outstanding RB's and Most of the RB we had is the past were great catching passes out of the backfield. Even the player who has the same name as you was a very productive player. Those type players have been missing on the Jets roster for way to many years. Even when we got LT from the Chargers he had two real good years with us at the end of his career. I just got a feeling if one of those top RB's are still on the board when we pick at 23 or 34 Douglas with pick one. Both the 23 & 34 picks will be a O line guard & RB but don't no what order it will be. They are our two biggest needs.

Time to let go of this RB dream.  We are not taking a RB at 23 or 34.  It will likely be IOL, CB, Pass Rusher, or LB (if we do trade Mosley).  RB just isn't high on JDs priority list.  Start looking at 3rd and 4th round prospects because that's probably where we take one.  No way RB is higher on the list of needs then CB.  We need 2 CBs more than we need a RB.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Time to let go of this RB dream.  We are not taking a RB at 23 or 34.  It will likely be IOL, CB, Pass Rusher, or LB (if we do trade Mosley).  RB just isn't high on JDs priority list.  Start looking at 3rd and 4th round prospects because that's probably where we take one.  No way RB is higher on the list of needs then CB.  We need 2 CBs more than we need a RB.

You are dead wrong. Darnold has played three year and has never had any kind of running GAME. Without a running back a QB is playing with one arm tied behind his back. These clowns we had a RB the last five years can't run they can't block and are lousy receivers coming out of the backfield. Dream on if you think you are going to have a good offensive with out a good RB. This is probably a mute point anyway because the top RB's  probably be gone when we make our 23 or 34 pick.

26 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

You are dead wrong. Darnold has played three year and has never had any kind of running GAME. Without a running back a QB is playing with one arm tied behind his back. These clowns we had a RB the last five years can't run they can't block and are lousy receivers coming out of the backfield. Dream on if you think you are going to have a good offensive with out a good RB. This is probably a mute point anyway because the top RB's  probably be gone when we make our 23 or 34 pick.

I hear you. It’s the big argument nowadays about drafting a RB high. I wouldn’t hate it if we took Harris or Etienne at 23 but people will argue that for every Freeman McNeil there’s a Blair Thomas or for every Derrick Henry there’s a Trent Richardson. There’s risk with every pick. We’ve whiffed on DL, CB, LB, S and people will say QB over the last 10 years in the 1st round. Top 10, I’d stay away but at 24 or 34 I’d be fine with it. 

Position of need, as to a luxury pick is the issue. No RB with the exception of generational talents at the position, which is far and few in-between  have translated into dependable after 3-4 years.

Ezekiel Elliot is a prime example of how someone who was considered elite is on the verge of being released this year or next. He was given a killer contract and has not lived up to his past production. Likewise it has put a monetary lid on what the Cowboys can or cannot do under the current salary cap. Especially after signing Dak Prescott to 160 million dollar deal.

Do we really need to revisit the Bell deal to make my point, he's average at best even with SB contending teams.

So RB's drafted high is a luxury, and the Jets have positions of need which are more demanding than to draft a RB who shows out for 3 years and is expendable. Not so with CB or OL positions.

The Jets need an infusion of CB in this draft and in my estimation at least 2. The Jets with the 23rd pick can go either way, CB/OL. If its OL, then in round 2 CB. In round 3 OLB and CB. Rounds 4-6 grab another C, RB, S, WR.

JD's OL is weaker than the CB group the Jets now have. Maybe Clark who didn't play a down last year will move into a starters position on the OL. JD promised to protect the QB.

Be it Darnold, or Wilson or Watson, THAT OL NEEDS TO BE UPGRADED AND OVERHAULED. PERIOD!!!!!

So IMHO, the second pick in the draft should be an OL, then CB in round 2. But here's a crazy thought, go back to back with OL, a G, then a C, then in round 3 2 CB. 

31 minutes ago, Big T said:

So IMHO, the second pick in the draft should be an OL, then CB in round 2. But here's a crazy thought, go back to back with OL, a G, then a C, then in round 3 2 CB. 

Agree with all you said but this. Unless there is a run on iOL, which I don’t think has ever happened, there will be plenty of good iOL at 34. In fact, aside from AVT all iOL should still be there at 34. Not so much with CB. The top 3 will be gone by 23. IMO, Newsome is the next best (assuming medicals check out) but won’t last to 34. After that are the later round 2 picks such as Stokes, Samuel, Melifonwu and Campbell. Then the round 3 CB’s.

I can see Newsome at 23 then iOL at 34. It is just a numbers game. Regardless, we need to come out of day 1 and 2 with a starting caliber iOL and potential starting caliber CB. 

Very excited about the Rankins signing.  He is a very good interior pass rusher.  JFM is a DE is this scheme and has proven to be an above average rusher from that spot.  With Q and Lawson being high level pressure guys this DL has the potential to be really good.  All 4 guys are proven to be high pressure rate guys so if we can rush 4 and drop in zone we should be a very good defense.  I think if we can bring back Poole and find a starter opposite Hall at 23 or 34 the defense is looking really good.

We can then focus the rest of the draft on OL after taking Wilson at 2.

So far so good for JD but still work to be done.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I want a running game but that starts with the OL not the RBs.  We aren't taking a RB at either spot and one will be there.

We will go OG first I don't think it's even a question really.

28 minutes ago, Big T said:

Position of need, as to a luxury pick is the issue. No RB with the exception of generational talents at the position, which is far and few in-between  have translated into dependable after 3-4 years.

Ezekiel Elliot is a prime example of how someone who was considered elite is on the verge of being released this year or next. He was given a killer contract and has not lived up to his past production. Likewise it has put a monetary lid on what the Cowboys can or cannot do under the current salary cap. Especially after signing Dak Prescott to 160 million dollar deal.

Do we really need to revisit the Bell deal to make my point, he's average at best even with SB contending teams.

So RB's drafted high is a luxury, and the Jets have positions of need which are more demanding than to draft a RB who shows out for 3 years and is expendable. Not so with CB or OL positions.

The Jets need an infusion of CB in this draft and in my estimation at least 2. The Jets with the 23rd pick can go either way, CB/OL. If its OL, then in round 2 CB. In round 3 OLB and CB. Rounds 4-6 grab another C, RB, S, WR.

JD's OL is weaker than the CB group the Jets now have. Maybe Clark who didn't play a down last year will move into a starters position on the OL. JD promised to protect the QB.

Be it Darnold, or Wilson or Watson, THAT OL NEEDS TO BE UPGRADED AND OVERHAULED. PERIOD!!!!!

If you have players like Barkley, McCaffery, Henry, or Nick Chubb, they are 1/3 of your offensive and in some cases even more. And these guy keep a defensive honest. The weaker your running game is the more guys drop back in pass coverage. Each year there usually only two maybe three RB in the entire draft that you would take early. This year there are three. No way i see Harris dropping to 23 went we pick. If he does drop to 23 a am certain Douglas will draft him.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agree with all you said but this. Unless there is a run on iOL, which I don’t think has ever happened, there will be plenty of good iOL at 34. In fact, aside from AVT all iOL should still be there at 34. Not so much with CB. The top 3 will be gone by 23. IMO, Newsome is the next best (assuming medicals check out) but won’t last to 34. After that are the later round 2 picks such as Stokes, Samuel, Melifonwu and Campbell. Then the round 3 CB’s.

I can see Newsome at 23 then iOL at 34. It is just a numbers game. Regardless, we need to come out of day 1 and 2 with a starting caliber iOL and potential starting caliber CB. 

Agreed.  It should be OG and CB at 23 and 34 whatever the order may be.  Unless some drops that we didn't expect.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Very excited about the Rankins signing.  He is a very good interior pass rusher.  JFM is a DE is this scheme and has proven to be an above average rusher from that spot.  With Q and Lawson being high level pressure guys this DL has the potential to be really good.  All 4 guys are proven to be high pressure rate guys so if we can rush 4 and drop in zone we should be a very good defense.  I think if we can bring back Poole and find a starter opposite Hall at 23 or 34 the defense is looking really good.

We can then focus the rest of the draft on OL after taking Wilson at 2.

So far so good for JD but still work to be done.

Looks like we are going back to 1953 with a seven man D  line. With that said building a strong D line is a great move by the Jets.

6 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

If you have players like Barkley, McCaffery, Henry, or Nick Chubb, they are 1/3 of your offensive and in some cases even more. And these guy keep a defensive honest. The weaker your running game is the more guys drop back in pass coverage. Each year there usually only two maybe three RB in the entire draft that you would take early. This year there are three. No way i see Harris dropping to 23 went we pick. If he does drop to 23 a am certain Douglas will draft him.

You can keep a defense honest without a 1st round RB.

OL is far more important.

No chance Douglas takes a RB at 23 or 34.

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Looks like we are going back to 1953 with a seven man D  line. With that said building a strong D line is a great move by the Jets.

Actually the opposite.  We'll run a ton of 4 man rush with extra DBs likely.

50 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I would be willing to bet that even if Harris and Etienne are available at 23 there is a 0% chance that Douglas drafts one of them. 

All i can say is thank GOD all you anti RB folks weren't around when this list of players were drafted

Walter Payton, Emmit Smith, Gale Sayers, Earl Campbell, Marcis Allen. OJ Simpson, Jim Brown, Thurman Thomas. Barry Sanders

None of these players would never gotten drafted