2021 New York Jets State of the Roster

KingOfNewYork

On 3/22/2021 at 4:06 PM, JetsandI said:

RB?

Adrian Peterson was last high pick RB that had been with first team for 10 years.  Zeke Elliott is challenging that with his current contract.  There are a several RBs that have solid career but with multiple teams.

Stay clear of RB in 1st always.

I dont see any issue using a mid/late 1st on a rb. I do however believe a RB should rarely ever be drafted in the top 20.

3 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

How many teams have sustained success? The one defining aspect of the few teams that see sustained success is a top QB. 

That and a stable FO and HC. Which probably go hand in hand. The other thing sustainable teams have in common is drafting replacements before they are needed typically at the highest priority (costly) positions like edge, WR, OT etc. I like to use Pitt as an example of always having young WR to replace the expensive vet that is looking for a big payday. They let them walk and don’t miss a beat to their WR core.

7 hours ago, xrade said:

That and a stable FO and HC. Which probably go hand in hand. The other thing sustainable teams have in common is drafting replacements before they are needed typically at the highest priority (costly) positions like edge, WR, OT etc. I like to use Pitt as an example of always having young WR to replace the expensive vet that is looking for a big payday. They let them walk and don’t miss a beat to their WR core.

Sustained winning usually yields a stable FO since the team is winning. 

I'd argue the stable FO is a result of sustained success rather than the other way around. 

You can also use Pitts RBs as a good example as they seem to just plug in a guy and see success... that's why investing in Olines is important. 

Edited by KodiakThunder

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

Is C J Mosley coming back this year? Haven't heard one word about him any were.

Yeah but we dont know how much of a step he's lost. However his week 1 vs the Bills was the best defensive performance we've had since Prime Revis. Dude was everywhere. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yeah but we dont know how much of a step he's lost. However his week 1 vs the Bills was the best defensive performance we've had since Prime Revis. Dude was everywhere. 

That is why I am asking, he is still only 28 years old.

Maybe that is why JD didn't overspend during FA. Keeping carryover at high may be able to cover the negative impact on Mosley's 2022 season if he is cut. lol.

In 2022 season, 8m is guaranteed and 1.5m prorated signing bonus are "locked". The rest of 17.5m is periodically payable as long as he stays with Jets.  Maybe he will be courteous to salary situation like taking a paycut or modify non guaranteed money into LTBE incentives. He gets all if he plays over 95 snaps or whatever.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Without injury, he merely started all but 5 games in his career. 

Lewis' contract isn't a threat anyway.

The only season he started was because we had nobody to replace him. AND WE STILL DON'T. That is one position that must be filled in the draft. Pretty sure that will be high on Douglas agenda,

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

In 2019 Lewis was probably our best OLineman. That’s why he got a decent contract last offseason. He didn’t look good last year though. Maybe JD thinks Gase and the system was the issue. Not the player. Who knows.

Frank Pollack is one of most respected OL coaches in NFL.  2 years under him and Lewis couldn't stay above a mediocrity. His off field injury may be a culprit.  Still, many of us want to add another Guard to push Lewis and JD should know that anyway.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

In 2019 Lewis was probably our best OLineman. That’s why he got a decent contract last offseason. He didn’t look good last year though. Maybe JD thinks Gase and the system was the issue. Not the player. Who knows.

I think if we were able to sign Thuney (so much for that being a lock lol) he would have been cut. I really hope we do a major job of adding more talent on that line this draft. Whoever the QB is going to be will still be on their *** with this current cast of characters.