Raiders hire Gus Bradley as DC

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Best thing about Gus Bradley system is that it’s a simple system to learn. Keep it simple stupid. Won’t be seeing guys out there lost like the past 3 years. Even Bradley said it the system is made for young guys to get into it right away. 

That was the biggest issue with KNJ system, who comes from the same coaching tree, it was to simple and we didn't have enough talent to win using it. 

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I think another big key we should focus on along with the DL is target guys that cause turnovers. Look to draft some ball hawks, even if they aren't the best lockdown types. That's another thing that can turn a terrible defense into good enough to win with a high powered offense.

We were downright horrible at causing turnovers. Obviously a lack of pressure is a huge part of that, but scheme (with the soft zones and off man) as well as having players that aren't necessarily guys that make splash plays all were part of it. Hopefully guys like Arnette and Mullen can be better about it with more experience, Robertson can be one of those guys, but overall if our defense is going to be bad or below average one of the ways to compensate will be to force a lot of turnovers.

Unfortunately we need an attacking downhill type of defense to cause more turnovers.  I am surprised we stayed close to even for most of the year.  We do not know how well or guys can be at creating TOs in a scheme that is conducive to creating TOs.  We probably will not next year either.

Charger TOs (Raiders)

2020 - 19 (15)

2019 - 14 (15)

2018 - 20 (17)

2017 - 27 (14)

Very similar with the exception of 2017 but that is with superior talent every year.  Hopefully we improve in Yards and points against.  It is possible we improve in the TO department if we are lucky (TOs tends to be the volatile relevant statistic in the NFL) but I would not count on it.

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Except you need a 4 man pass rush. Nobody has explained to me how that happens except the usual "hope" Ferrell, Crosby get better. Sign Leo Williams, who likely doesn't hit FA, and if does has better options than Vegas. "Hope" the 17 overall pick is a home run. 

And even then, Marinelli, the guy everyone here blasts regularly, is still coaching them.

So how can this team realistically build a 4 man pass rush? 

Move Ferrell to base LDE, nickel LDT.

Move Crosby to base LDE depth, nickel LDE.

Sign Yannick Ngakoue to base and nickel RDE/LEO.

Resign Takk to base and nickel RDE/LEO depth.

Resign Hankins to base NT.

Keep Hurst to base and nickel 3T in heavy rotation.

Draft Christian Barmore to base and nickel 3T in heavy rotation.

Give them a good scheme and plan.

That is our best option right now IMO.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Except you need a 4 man pass rush. Nobody has explained to me how that happens except the usual "hope" Ferrell, Crosby get better. Sign Leo Williams, who likely doesn't hit FA, and if does has better options than Vegas. "Hope" the 17 overall pick is a home run. 

And even then, Marinelli, the guy everyone here blasts regularly, is still coaching them.

So how can this team realistically build a 4 man pass rush? 

I get the what you're saying and its probably the right stance with a little pessimism after all the false dawns but realistically there are only 3 ways we can improve:

Drafting and/or signing better players.

Hope the players we already have improve with coaching.

Hope that a more sympathetic scheme can accentuate strengths and hide weaknesses better.

I really see no other options realistically, of course the best thing would be if we could add 1 or 2 players with talent, our existing players improve and the scheme is better. If we can make 10% improvement in each then we should be a lot better overall. Of course, not all players will improve and some may regress and not all players brought in will be better than what we have or what we'll lose. What gives me optimism is even teams that have been complete dumpster fires such as Miami and Cleveland have turned it around recently and they were much worse than us and they've done it quickly.

Edited by Darbsk

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The defense could be in the 16 to 20 range THIS upcoming year. Not saying it will be. But if we actually hit on picks and sign the right guys, plus scheme well, it is definitely possible. Teams have seen crazier turnarounds before.

This is incredibly wishful thinking imo. It would take finding a legit DROY candidate in the draft who had one heck of an impact which is rare on the Dline if they draft there.

The only way the defense makes that jump completely rebuilding the 4 man pass rush. There is simply not a lot of impactful players in the FA market to do that. Or Ferrell and Crosby 10x their game in the offseason.

To many things would have to go right from development and probably a big trade to get a game changing piece to turn things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I get the what you're saying and its probably the right stance with a little pessimism after all the false dawns but realistically there are only 3 ways we can improve:

Drafting and/or signing better players.

Hope the players we already have improve with coaching.

Hope that a more sympathetic scheme can accentuate strengths and hide weaknesses better.

I really see no other options realistically, of course the best thing would be if we could add 1 or 2 players with talent, our existing players improve and the scheme is better. If we can make 10% improvement in each then we should be a lot better overall. Of course, not all players will improve and some may regress and not all players brought in will be better than what we have or what we'll lose. What gives me optimism is even teams that have been complete dumpster fires such as Miami and Cleveland have turned it around recently and they were much worse than us and they've done it quickly.

Just hope baby!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The defense could be in the 16 to 20 range THIS upcoming year. Not saying it will be. But if we actually hit on picks and sign the right guys, plus scheme well, it is definitely possible. Teams have seen crazier turnarounds before.

Right system, 2-3 new starters on defense.  BAM.  We have the pieces assembled, players that have shown the ability to execute.  Just need the right DC and a couple more impact players and the #20 ranked defense should be ours.  I would be ecstatic with that kind of improvement in a single season.  We hit the teens and I'm prepping to buy playoff tickets.

Edited by Jerry

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Just hope baby!

Realistically though as we've both mentioned in the past, good teams are built through the draft not bought in free agency. So we really do have to hope that guys like Ferrell, Crosby, Key, Hurst, Mullen, Arnette, Abram, and Robertson can all grow into at least average starters if we want any chance of having a respectable defense. 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is incredibly wishful thinking imo. It would take finding a legit DROY candidate in the draft who had one heck of an impact which is rare on the Dline if they draft there.

The only way the defense makes that jump completely rebuilding the 4 man pass rush. There is simply not a lot of impactful players in the FA market to do that. Or Ferrell and Crosby 10x their game in the offseason.

To many things would have to go right from development and probably a big trade to get a game changing piece to turn things.

Is it the incredibly wishful thinking? Like impossible? I think everyone has sensed you’re very down on the organisation at the moment. And I get it. We had the tiniest glimpse of something good and then........The Raiders........we predictably reverted to type.

But I don’t buy your argument that we need to draft the DROY to become a mediocre defense. I do agree that we need to hit on most decisions - both FA and early draft. But that is not completely out of the question. 

To me: 1 very good dlineman, 1 good dlineman, 1 good safety and 1 experienced and savvy CB coupled with Bradley, who will undoubtedly be a massive upgrade from Pauly G could absolutely see us become a middle of the pack defense. I don’t feel in the slightest that I’m being a homer in saying that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rolni said:

Move Ferrell to base LDE, nickel LDT.

Move Crosby to base LDE depth, nickel LDE.

Sign Yannick Ngakoue to base and nickel RDE/LEO.

Resign Takk to base and nickel RDE/LEO depth.

Resign Hankins to base NT.

Keep Hurst to base and nickel 3T in heavy rotation.

Draft Christian Barmore to base and nickel 3T in heavy rotation.

Give them a good scheme and plan.

That is our best option right now IMO.

Yannick is a freaking good pass rusher. We considered trading a 1st for him. He was also with Bradley in Jax. Good chance we go HARD after him.

Yeah Yannick was with Bradley his rookie year where he got 8 sacks. 

FA has a lot of depth at pass rusher(DE) and FS. Those two things just happen to be the Raiders biggest weak points. As far as pass rushers at DT that does not look at this point. Could change with some cuts. 

9 hours ago, Jerry said:

Right system, 2-3 new starters on defense.  BAM.  We have the pieces assembled, players that have shown the ability to execute.  Just need the right DC and a couple more impact players and the #20 ranked defense should be ours.  I would be ecstatic with that kind of improvement in a single season.  We hit the teens and I'm prepping to buy playoff tickets.

I agree for the most part.  If we add a FS, 3T DT, and Sam/DE plus upgrade the depth and overall level of talent outside of the starters we can make big strides on defense and land in the 15-20 range.  I don’t think every player makes a massive jump with Bradley but I think a lot of them have been criminally held back.