Raiders hire Gus Bradley as DC

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Yeah Yannick was with Bradley his rookie year where he got 8 sacks. 

FA has a lot of depth at pass rusher(DE) and FS. Those two things just happen to be the Raiders biggest weak points. As far as pass rushers at DT that does not look at this point. Could change with some cuts. 

There will be a few interesting DT prospects in the draft tho 

Get a LEO and a FS in FA, then get a DT in the draft 

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

There will be a few interesting DT prospects in the draft tho 

Get a LEO and a FS in FA, then get a DT in the draft 

I still think we have our FS in house in the shape of Joyner. So, in my eyes we need a FA DE, DT, CB plus rookie FS, DE, DT......

I'm content with the secondary if we start Mullen, Arnette outside and Lawson inside (though I appreciate I like Lawson more than anyone here 😁) with Johnson, Robertson, Nixon plus a FA vet vying for playing time I think that is decent providing we get more pressure up front. I'd draft a rangy FS in the first 3 rounds and ease him in alongside Joyner and Abram with Heath in 3 safety sets and as depth. Guys like Leavitt should be STs in the depth chart.

LBs I am reasonably happy with Kwiatkoski, Littleton, Morrow, McMillan and White, Muse but would look to add a rookie or value FA to compete for the SLB position. There are tons of cuts and vet FAs every year so that shouldn't be hard to find at least a solid guy to play 2 downs.

Now, the heart of the problem, the DL 😬. I'd re-sign Hankins as he's very solid and draft a backup NT in the mid to later rounds.  I'd look to bring in a stop gap DT in the form of a Shelby Harris or if a guy like Gerald McCoy is a cap casualty. As others have mentioned Leonard Williams would be the blue chip guy but it's unlikely IMO. Then I'd invest a top pick in whoever we feel the best 3T type is and because of the vet we wouldn't have to rush him in expecting instant impact. I really like Nixon at present. The rookie, David Irving and guys like Hurst, Vickers could compete for playing time and rotate in for passing downs especially.

I'd keep Ferrell exclusively at end and play him on the strong side where his skills seem to fit best. I'd look to bring in a vet FA like a Ryan Kerrigan or Melvin Ingram to split reps with Crosby on the other end and I'd look to draft a pure pass rushing end too, not expecting him to play in base and purely as a speed rusher to compliment the other guys. He could compete with Beasley, McKinley and Key for that exclusive pass rusher role. I wouldn't be against going big on either DE or DT with a blue chip FA but I'd only go for one at either. 

Pipe dreams are bringing back Mack, signing Leonard Williams or trading for a Fletcher Cox type. But that would be my one and only big move, otherwise I'd look at complimentary and depth FAs that can bring value in the 2nd and 3rd wave of FA, guys like Lawson and Heath. These are the great pickups that can fill out a deep roster.

I would like to see a new guy at FS and would definately like Joyner out. Go out and spend Joyner's salary on a top young FS in FA.

At CB I can see us targeting a veteran with outside and slot ability, so we have an insurance guy in case the young guys struggling.

I think Morrow will be let go, since he and Littleton would play the same WILL position in this D. McMillan can stick around, but only for some minimal salary as depth IMO. We need a SAM in front of him, possible Nick Vigil, who was Bradley's SAM kastély with the Chargers. He should be cheap IMO. Muse and White should be back as depth behind Kwia and Cory.

At NT Hankins is a logical option, if he asks for too much, Abry Jones could be a target. Later rounds or UDFA could be NT depth solution.

At 3T Mo and Vickers will be back, Irving could be back too. I doubt we can get an impact 3T via  FA, so I would draft one early.

DE will be interesting. Both Bradley and Marinelli likes to use a bigger, stronger strongside DE and a faster weakside DE(LEO). They could try Crosby at LEO, but he seems to be not an ideal fit. Yannick seems like the bang move, but we could try Takk and/or Vic there. Maybe rock Crosby at RDE in base with Ferrell as LDE. Then move Ferrell inside at LDT, move Crosby at LDE and rotate in Takk/Vic as RDE/LEO...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I still think we have our FS in house in the shape of Joyner. So, in my eyes we need a FA DE, DT, CB plus rookie FS, DE, DT......

No way am I paying $11m for a 30yo who hasn’t played safety for 2 years and who has had 1 decent season which will be 4 years ago. Time to cut our losses on Joyner.  

That money would be better spent elsewhere, Williams, Maye, Simmons. 

We need to get better on defense.

29 minutes ago, Dessie said:

No way am I paying $11m for a 30yo who hasn’t played safety for 2 years and who has had 1 decent season which will be 4 years ago. Time to cut our losses on Joyner.  

That money would be better spent elsewhere, Williams, Maye, Simmons. 

We need to get better on defense.

I can see the sense in that viewpoint but I think we may be able to restructure Joyner a little bit plus I think he's actually better than a guy like Maye. Maye's tackling is very iffy even though his coverage is pretty good. Simmons is the only sure fire upgrade (to me) and I think he'll cost 50% more so I'd rather try and work something out with Joyner who I think is a great locker room guy too and plays with the aggression I like.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I can see the sense in that viewpoint but I think we may be able to restructure Joyner a little bit plus I think he's actually better than a guy like Maye. Maye's tackling is very iffy even though his coverage is pretty good. Simmons is the only sure fire upgrade (to me) and I think he'll cost 50% more so I'd rather try and work something out with Joyner who I think is a great locker room guy too and plays with the aggression I like.

Joyner has done nothing in 2 seasons to suggest he would be worth keeping at any price. Great locker room guy is complete guesswork, nobody knows that.

Joyner wasn’t great in coverage for the Rams in ‘18 and we will be 3 years on. 

Lets face it if he was a FA nobody would be suggesting we sign him. Time to move on. 

13 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Joyner has done nothing in 2 seasons to suggest he would be worth keeping at any price. Great locker room guy is complete guesswork, nobody knows that.

Joyner wasn’t great in coverage for the Rams in ‘18 and we will be 3 years on. 

Lets face it if he was a FA nobody would be suggesting we sign him. Time to move on. 

Well, he did play well when filling in at safety in my opinion this past season so there is that. Plus he played at a Pro Bowl level at safety for the Rams. Plenty of reports about him being a team first player and good influence for our young secondary guys so there is that too.

I completely understand if others want to move on but I dont think any of the other options for what we'd have to pay are worth it, probably only Simmons but he won't be cheap and I think that money would be better spent on the DL.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Well, he did play well when filling in at safety in my opinion this past season so there is that. Plus he played at a Pro Bowl level at safety for the Rams. Plenty of reports about him being a team first player and good influence for our young secondary guys so there is that too.

I completely understand if others want to move on but I dont think any of the other options for what we'd have to pay are worth it, probably only Simmons but he won't be cheap and I think that money would be better spent on the DL.

He barely played safety this season though, he occasionally played an odd play here or there. Heath, Harris, Leavitt, Worley and Johnson all played safety ahead of him. He had one good season for the Rams in ‘17.

We need to get better not keep trotting out players who have woefully under performed. If he wants to come back and compete on the vet minimum or as near it fair enough but otherwise get rid.  

40 minutes ago, Dessie said:

He barely played safety this season though, he occasionally played an odd play here or there. Heath, Harris, Leavitt, Worley and Johnson all played safety ahead of him. He had one good season for the Rams in ‘17.

We need to get better not keep trotting out players who have woefully under performed. If he wants to come back and compete on the vet minimum or as near it fair enough but otherwise get rid.  

I guess we're not going to agree on this then 😀 respect your opinion but I dont see a big improvement out there over Joyner at reasonable cost. Part of my plan was to draft a 2nd or 3rd round safety with traits but maybe raw to develop behind Joyner for a year or so as the long term solution. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I guess we're not going to agree on this then 😀 respect your opinion but I dont see a big improvement out there over Joyner at reasonable cost. Part of my plan was to draft a 2nd or 3rd round safety with traits but maybe raw to develop behind Joyner for a year or so as the long term solution. 

😉 no probs. Just to think we need to revamp the defense and gut out the old and get some fresh faces in. 

• Like 1

I feel Like we have the pieces we need to have a good defense.... we don’t need to tear it apart, just continue to add talent and develop. I hope Bradley has a better eye for talent then Paul G. I would be surprised if Paul G is ever a DC again..... 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, Darbsk said:

I would be fine holding on to Joyner if he restructures, plays FS, and we us any saved money on the defense.  I think Joyner would take a nice pay cut in exchange for his salary being guaranteed.  He is not getting anywhere close to $10 on the open market.  He would probably take $6 guaranteed.

• Like 1