Raiders hire Gus Bradley as DC

RaidersAreOne

Idk I think you cut him no matter what. Releasing Joyner would be just as easy as releasing Tyrell. 10 million is a lot especially with the young guys that should hit FA. You can release Joyner as a post June 1 cut and make the dead cap a little over a million. I would be highly disappointed if they kept Joyner even with a pay cut.

Edited by agarcia34

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm torn. I don't want to pay him 10+ but I do think he can play at free safety. I think it's a situation where you cut him if you have another deal in place, unless the cut is contingent on a specific day.

Cut him. Sign a better FS. We need to let this Joyner at FS dream die

18 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Lynn is the definition of conservative.... wonder if Bradley had to follow orders on a defensive strategy 

he was also conservative with the Seahawks. they got away with their scheme because of their talent... they were able to get pressure with 4, and leaned on generational secondary play, and outstanding coverage linebackers

when we say "we need to let the joyner at FS dream die"... is that a statement that he wont pan out, or that gruden just refuses to play him there?

he's still theoretically the best FS fit we have, and the best shot we have in-house of somebody playing FS in the cover 3. keep in mind, joyner was primarily a FS when he played well enough to actually be a sought afte free agent (though we have completely ruined him by exclusively playing him at slot CB)

i absolutely agree that from what we've seen the last couple of years, he's an obvious cut. he's been a mediocre slot corner getting paid to be a high end starter. but if there was a way to salavage his value, it would be trying him at FS. but even then, i cant imagine his market value is anywhere near 10m, so there should be a paycut regardless

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

when we say "we need to let the joyner at FS dream die"... is that a statement that he wont pan out, or that gruden just refuses to play him there?

he's still theoretically the best FS fit we have, and the best shot we have in-house of somebody playing FS in the cover 3. keep in mind, joyner was primarily a FS when he played well enough to actually be a sought afte free agent (though we have completely ruined him by exclusively playing him at slot CB)

i absolutely agree that from what we've seen the last couple of years, he's an obvious cut. he's been a mediocre slot corner getting paid to be a high end starter. but if there was a way to salavage his value, it would be trying him at FS. but even then, i cant imagine his market value is anywhere near 10m, so there should be a paycut regardless

He'll be 31 next season and hasn't played at an elite level in 3 years, his last very good season was in 2017. I'd rather move on, create some cap space, and bring in a FS with size, range, and athleticism either via the draft or free agency. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

He'll be 31 next season and hasn't played at an elite level in 3 years, his last very good season was in 2017. I'd rather move on, create some cap space, and bring in a FS with size, range, and athleticism either via the draft or free agency. 

it just sucks that we havent been able to evaluate his play at safety at all. he might be the best option for all we know. i worry because we downgraded by letting Joseph go because Abram was just flat awful

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

it just sucks that we havent been able to evaluate his play at safety at all. he might be the best option for all we know. i worry because we downgraded by letting Joseph go because Abram was just flat awful

Don't get me started on Joseph.  Gruden and The Great Reggie Purge! With the exception of a couple players all of our cut candidates should be asked to restructure.  If Joyner wants to stay, play FS, and take $5-6 million a year I am not against it.  Any player not willing to take a sizable haircut can try to play for another team.  If we take this stance I think most will restructure because there will be very little in FA this year.

3 minutes ago, Turnobili said:
5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I've stated that I'd like to keep Joyner and move him back to FS and still draft a young FS in the first 3 rounds (Cisco is my preferred guy right now) who then wouldn't be rushed into a starting role and could be brought along slowly and surely in 3 safety sets and rotating in as required. I think Joyner can still offer a lot at FS. It's not a perfect situation as Joyner probably won't be at his peak (which was very good) and is probably still paid too much but it seems a very pragmatic solution. 

6 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

As the roster is currently constructed he probably is our best option at FS. But that isn't saying much because the only other safeties we have right now are Heath, Abram, and Leavitt. But at this point I'd prefer to cut him, eat the $2.5M in dead cap, and create like $9M in cap space. We haven't seen Joyner play FS since 2018 and he's older now. There will be a ton of safeties in free agency this year with guys like Marcus Maye, Marcus Williams, and John Johnson III. I'd rather sign one of those guys for $11-$13M APY then bring back Joyner at $11.2M and just hope he can transition back to safety/play at a high level there. 

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

I've stated that I'd like to keep Joyner and move him back to FS and still draft a young FS in the first 3 rounds (Cisco is my preferred guy right now) who then wouldn't be rushed into a starting role and could be brought along slowly and surely in 3 safety sets and rotating in as required. I think Joyner can still offer a lot at FS. It's not a perfect situation as Joyner probably won't be at his peak (which was very good) and is probably still paid too much but it seems a very pragmatic solution. 

I just don't like the idea of bringing him back with an $11.2M cap hit at 31 years old just hoping that he can move back to FS and play at a high level again. He was elite at FS for the Rams in 2017 but he wasn't as good in 2018 and that's why they decided to let him walk. I'd much rather target someone like Maye, Williams, Harris, or JJ3 for $11-13M in free agency then bring back Joyner. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I just don't like the idea of bringing him back with an $11.2M cap hit at 31 years old just hoping that he can move back to FS and play at a high level again. He was elite at FS for the Rams in 2017 but he wasn't as good in 2018 and that's why they decided to let him walk. I'd much rather target someone like Maye, Williams, Harris, or JJ3 for $11-13M in free agency then bring back Joyner. 

Oh, I'd definitely ask him politely but firmly to take a pay cut 😀

I am also sure ive seen him play safety this year too, sporadically earlier in the year and definitely in at least one if the late games and he looked good to me. I also worry that a FA safety would be another big let down 😁😁

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I am also sure ive seen him play safety this year too, sporadically earlier in the year and definitely in at least one if the late games and he looked good to me. I also worry that a FA safety would be another big let down 😁😁

I'd rather take a chance paying a young guy $11-$13M like JJ3 (25), Williams (24), or Maye (27) who played FS at a high level last season then put all of my eggs in Joyner being able to regain form at FS for around the same cap hit.