Raiders hire Gus Bradley as DC

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Has Sherman even talked about moving to safety? Not sure he has accepted that part of his career yet. I would like someone little shorter in the tooth..  

I would hope the Raiders don’t go the Earl Thomas route. Think he has burned enough bridges

I don't think so. But if he would be willing, I'd be fine to bring him in as a stopgap if we can't acquire another superior option (like Maye/John Johnson/Harris)

42 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've seen him excel when he has great talent. And wasn't much otherwise. I can't personally put my finger on any talents you can point to and say he developed that player. I could be wrong.

And I disagree. I think you have to majorly overhaul the talent. His defense only works if the Dline is dominate. Currently, there isn't a dominate player on the Dline. That unit has to be rebuilt. 

Abram... I'm personally done with. I don't think you'll ever get much from him. He lacks things you cannot teach. It was a bad draft pick and I hope they have a good insurance policy behind him when they finally admit that and bench him. 

A lot of that great talent in Seattle was drafted on day 3. Probably was good drafting but some decent coaching had to take place as well. 

And Chris Clemons took off when he joined Bradley's D. (He had that 8 sacks season with the Raiders before that).

Edited by oakdb36

A lot of people are pointing towards talent or lack thereof in terms of coaching success. How many coaches are successful without talent though? Yes, you have to coach up and scheme, but at the end of the day, In any sport, talent reigns supreme. 

The thing with Guenther, is the talent level improved but the production got worse. Look at all the teams in the playoffs, good teams have talent, and the great teams have talent and great coaching. It all goes together, when the Chargers were healthy under Bradley they were a problem, once guys got hurt they were less successful. 

so yes, coaches can scheme till the cows come home but if they don’t got dogs to execute the game plan, they will get torched. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

A lot of that great talent in Seattle was drafted on day 3. Probably was good drafting but some decent coaching had to take place as well. 

And Chris Clemons took off when he joined Bradley's D. (He had that 8 sacks season with the Raiders before that).

Great point

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

A lot of people are pointing towards talent or lack thereof in terms of coaching success. How many coaches are successful without talent though? Yes, you have to coach up and scheme, but at the end of the day, In any sport, talent reigns supreme. 

The thing with Guenther, is the talent level improved but the production got worse. Look at all the teams in the playoffs, good teams have talent, and the great teams have talent and great coaching. It all goes together, when the Chargers were healthy under Bradley they were a problem, once guys got hurt they were less successful. 

so yes, coaches can scheme till the cows come home but if they don’t got dogs to execute the game plan, they will get torched. 

I think a big part of this that people may be overlooking is the defensive coordinator's input as far as the draft goes. If Guenther was picking the wrong guys, you have to hope Bradley and the staff can pick the right guys.

• Like 1

From another forum:

Seahawks passing defence (yds allowed):

- 2008 (pre-Bradley): 32nd
- 2009 (1st year): 30th
- 2010 (2nd year): 27th
- 2011 (3rd year): 11th
- 2012 (4th year): 6th

Chargers passing defence (yds allowed):

- 2016 (pre-Bradley): 20th
- 2017 (1st year): 3rd
- 2018 (2nd year): 9th
- 2019 (3rd year): 5th
- 2020 (4th year): 9th

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Richard coached the DBs correct?

44 minutes ago, Geezy said:

This is where you're lying to yourself. The "talent" has progressively gotten worse since Gruden blew up the defense. These high draft picks have yielded no impact. The most impactful players since his return were Benson Mayowa and Dion Jordan if we're being honest.

The Raiders have no true pass rusher. They are average at LB. And beyond awful in the secondary. They can't create turnovers and can't even tackle. 

But yes, you have to have talent. You can scheme things, coach it but the players have to be able to execute and make plays. Raider have nobody on the roster capable of making plays consistently.

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

From another forum:

Trace the talent on those teams to find your answers. Pass rushers and all pro secondary talent.

Raiders are a DE, DT, FS, SS and CB away. Bradley imo won't see a real turn until year 3 if they hit things right finally in the draft.

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I like how it isn’t just one program, but 2 different programs that took an upward trend. 

2 programs that know how to draft defense and had all pros on the field to work with. 

How did he do in Jacksonville?

Edited by big_palooka

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

2 programs that know how to draft defense and had all pros on the field to work with. 

How did he do in Jacksonville?

You fooling yourself if you don’t think the DC doesn’t play a part in players drafted and put in position to shine. Jaguars had Blake Bortles as their starting QB.... I’ll stop there 🛑