Seahawks extend GM John Schneider

RaidersAreOne

I know everyone around here memes with "muh 1st Round Picks" but Im glad John is around for the foreseeable future. What gets lost about John is how healthy Seattle's cap situation has been throughout his tenure. He has been on the money with extensions, finding bargins on the FA market, low key trades, the wavier wire and UDFA's. Its a large part of why Seattle has been a consistent 10 win franchise for almost an entire decade. 

I think people forget Seattle did a soft reset after 2017, and the demise of the LOB. 10-6, 11-5, 12-4 seasons during a "rebuild". 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

I know everyone around here memes with "muh 1st Round Picks" but Im glad John is around for the foreseeable future. What gets lost about John is how healthy Seattle's cap situation has been throughout his tenure. He has been on the money with extensions, finding bargins on the FA market, low key trades, the wavier wire and UDFA's. Its a large part of why Seattle has been a consistent 10 win franchise for almost an entire decade. 

I think people forget Seattle did a soft reset after 2017, and the demise of the LOB. 10-6, 11-5, 12-4 seasons during a "rebuild". 

Can someone really call it a rebuild when you have one of the best QBs in the league and you're trading for players like Clowney and Adams? 

Only thing that really got reset was the secondary. Kam retired so nothing could be done there. Sherman has been good for SF, but I don't even blame Seattle for wanting to move on a year or two before regression. Moving on from Thomas looks great in hindsight. 

But I agree with you. As much as he's made fun of for his out-of-the-blue first round picks, he's one of the better GM's out there and locking him up is a no brainer. Good move. 

14 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Can someone really call it a rebuild when you have one of the best QBs in the league and you're trading for players like Clowney and Adams? 

Only thing that really got reset was the secondary. Kam retired so nothing could be done there. Sherman has been good for SF, but I don't even blame Seattle for wanting to move on a year or two before regression. Moving on from Thomas looks great in hindsight. 

But I agree with you. As much as he's made fun of for his out-of-the-blue first round picks, he's one of the better GM's out there and locking him up is a no brainer. Good move. 

Hence why I put rebuild in quotations. By their own admission it was a soft reset. But replacing the talent lost on fly, is pretty impressive.

The only remaining players from the 2014 Super Bowl team in 2019 were Russ, Britt, KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner. 

2017 & 2018 were impactful transitional years ; Avril, Bennett, Earl, Sherman, Baldwin, Chancellor, Clark all lost within a 14 month period.

The entire skill positions (RB, WR, TE), Offensive Line (sans Britt), Defensive Line and Secondary were completely different 4 seasons later.  Yet the level of success never really dipped that far. 

• Like 1