GDT 2017: Week 6 - Bears @ Ravens

drd23

ravens_bears-232x300.jpg

M&T Bank Stadium
1:00pm

We'll be facing the Bears and their rookie QB Mitchell "Don't call me Mitch" Trubisky this week. ICYMI Week 5's MNF match-up against the Vikes was Trubisky's first start in the NFL, and he lead a fairly inept offense going 12/25 for 128 yards, 1 TD and 2 TOs.  In fact, you could probably argue that their punter had a more effective night passing the football.  The only thing of note he did was this:

options.0.gif

We usually do well against rookie QBs - we actually have a 9-0 record against them at home under John Harbaugh.  That, combined with the fact that the Bears aren't that good should see us win, but the team can't be too complacent given the Bears did beat the Steelers in Week 3.

Thursday's Injury Report

I wonder if we'll give Jimmy Smith the week off given that his Achilles injury is clearly affecting him, the fact he only played 7 snaps last week and that Humphrey has done so well?

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Thursday's Injury Report

I wonder if we'll give Jimmy Smith the week off given that his Achilles injury is clearly affecting him, the fact he only played 7 snaps last week and that Humphrey has done so well?

Id imagine they will. Im confident in Carr/Webb/Humphrey/Hill to keep Trubisky in check. Bears dont have that elite WR that we need a shutdown corner to shadow. 

bring on the Rookie!

for me it's the battle in the trenches that decides this game (...)

Bears front 7 is talented, will be interesting to see if the Ravens Oline can continue its good play. Will they be able to contain Hicks and Floyd?

Ravens front 7 needs to bring pressure to Trubisky, hope they can against a rather good Oline. Bears have a weak WR corps so the secondyra should thrive, but i fully expect Trubisky to make more plays w/ his feet then passing.

17-7 Ravens, however knowing our coordinators it will probably be back to prevent D and +40 passes for Flacco so what do i know.

Of all the games for Jimmy to miss, this might be the most opportune time. Trubisky does look like he has the potential to grow into a good QB, but his passing isn't there yet. And neither Kendall Wright or Marcus Wheaton should be too scary a prospect for Marlon Humphrey, given the way he's started his pro career.

Tarik Cohen and Jordan Howard are the real dangers on offense, plus what Trubisky can do with his legs. And Leonard Floyd has looked decent in the games I've seen this year. The Ravens will have to watch out for him, because he hits hard when he gets into the backfield.

We are suddenly optimistic again, and the Bears on paper look like an opponent we should beat.

So we might lose in a close contest.

As always, us getting ahead early could tip the game in our favor fast moreso than other games.

On defense, I think the key will be our backside edge players maintaining their awareness of bootlegs, because i think Chicago's only chance of moving the ball effectively against us is with the run game and using bootlegs off of that to get Trubiski moving around and throwing on the run. If we can contain those two aspects, I think we'll be just fine.

On offense, for the love of God can we just have back-to-back games of good Flacco, please? Is that too much to ask for? We need to do exactly what we've done in all 3 of our wins this year: run the ball and set up play action and take shots. Use our bootleg game to get Watson and our receivers using levels concepts and let Joe make those reads outside the pocket, and make sure we're in 3rd and manageable situations as much as we can.

The matchup I'm most intrigued about is Pernell McPhee against our interior pass blockers. We all know how good of a player he is (along with Akiem Hicks), and our Guards are obviously not the best of players, so if Hicks and McPhee can pin their ears back, Flacco doesn't do well under pressure up the middle.

I am well prepared for a game where our optimism takes another hit. With how this team is build and how it is affected by injuries, it will be a rollercoaster ride till the end. This is the second of a run of games, where we face a QB and a team we should beat. This could just as well as being an "easy" game we lead form start to finish, be a sluggish where we end up losing a game that we can look back on and say "had we won that, we would have been in the playoffs", like the Jest game last year.

On a more positive note. While we lack production from younger players on the offensive side of the ball, we have seen the depth on dline hold up so far, and if players like Canady and Hill can provide legit play, we look great at cornerback in 2-3 years. Safety could use an upgrade, but the 3/4 we have atm should last another year.

On the offensive side, we really get to see who is worth keeping next year, and so far there is basically nothing we should throw money at in the wide receiver/TE department. Runningback in the draft next year looks great, and if Jensen keep up the play the rest of the season, we can focus on getting BPA on oline and getting a runningback + a tight end and a do-it-all fullback.

Archived