Vegas "Way Too Early" Mock Draft.....

vegas492

16 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

What are some of the mock draft sites you people like to mess around with?

I had two bookmarked on a laptop that fried. Can’t remember their names. One of them had teams always coming to me with outrageous trade down deals that were too good to turn down. Then it dinged my score for drafting players a half round early. The other one didn’t allow trades without premium. Allowed a bunch of different ranking profiles to choose from tho. I look at mock drafting as a way of learning players while being entertained.

I use thedraftnetwork.com and like it.

Not disagreeing that we couldn't need a tackle.

But....Wagner and Turner are kind of interchangeable.  Jenkins can flip out if needed.  

We have young interior guys that may work out.

And, I know I'm really reaching here, but I think that Nijman has a chance.  He's had a lot of time to develop.

Still, doesn't change the fact that I wish I could have gone OT earlier in this exercise.  Just didn't work out that way.

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But....Wagner and Turner are kind of interchangeable.  Jenkins can flip out if needed.  

And, I know I'm really reaching here, but I think that Nijman has a chance.  He's had a lot of time to develop.

Still, doesn't change the fact that I wish I could have gone OT earlier in this exercise.  Just didn't work out that way.

We've had plenty of young IOL that have worked out just fine. It's why I'd like to see Jenkins kicked out to LT with Runyan at LG, Linsley at C, Turner at RG and Wagner at RT with Lewis protecting the strong side if that were possible. I know Turner did well against the Bears but I really don't trust him at LT, again, due to his issues with speed and speed-to-power rushers.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

We've had plenty of young IOL that have worked out just fine. It's why I'd like to see Jenkins kicked out to LT with Runyan at LG, Linsley at C, Turner at RG and Wagner at RT with Lewis protecting the strong side if that were possible. I know Turner did well against the Bears but I really don't trust him at LT, again, due to his issues with speed and speed-to-power rushers.

What do the Rams have outside that the Bears don't have?  We played them in cold weather.  Tackles held up just fine.  

I think Jenkins to Tackle is kind of a "break glass in case of emergency" type move.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

What do the Rams have outside that the Bears don't have?  We played them in cold weather.  Tackles held up just fine.  

I think Jenkins to Tackle is kind of a "break glass in case of emergency" type move.

It's not so much the help on the outside so much as the extra help that is needed on the inside containing Donald, plus they're not a common opponent as are the Bears. With the Bears, you have to neutralize Hicks and Mack, which we've figured out how to do through playing them regularly and the fact that they typically align on the same side of the front-7 makes dialing up extra help easier from a personnel standpoint. My concern with the Rams is that despite his nagging injury, Aaron Donald will still command a lot of attention, yet you need to be aware of Brockers who plays opposite Donald. In other words, the talent along the Rams DL is much more balanced than Chicago's.

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

And that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes

16 hours ago, Joe said:

It's not so much the help on the outside so much as the extra help that is needed on the inside containing Donald, plus they're not a common opponent as are the Bears. With the Bears, you have to neutralize Hicks and Mack, which we've figured out how to do through playing them regularly and the fact that they typically align on the same side of the front-7 makes dialing up extra help easier from a personnel standpoint. My concern with the Rams is that despite his nagging injury, Aaron Donald will still command a lot of attention, yet you need to be aware of Brockers who plays opposite Donald. In other words, the talent along the Rams DL is much more balanced than Chicago's.

You do realize that Donald lines up as an end many times, right?  And that the Bares moved Mack around?

In your scenario, you took Patrick off of the field in favor of Runyan.  Have to think if Runyan were better than Patrick, he would have been playing all season.  I dig Runyan, but Patrick has been pretty darned solid this year.

I also like Brockers, but he isn't what he once was, from the little I saw of the Rams this year, the other DL,  Joseph-Day, was the better player.  At least to my eyeball test.

But no doubt their DL is very good.

So...I'd rather roll with our 5 best OL against them.  Turner, Jenkins, Lindsley, Patrick, Wagner.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You do realize that Donald lines up as an end many times, right?  And that the Bares moved Mack around?

In your scenario, you took Patrick off of the field in favor of Runyan.  Have to think if Runyan were better than Patrick, he would have been playing all season.  I dig Runyan, but Patrick has been pretty darned solid this year.

I also like Brockers, but he isn't what he once was, from the little I saw of the Rams this year, the other DL,  Joseph-Day, was the better player.  At least to my eyeball test.

But no doubt their DL is very good.

So...I'd rather roll with our 5 best OL against them.  Turner, Jenkins, Lindsley, Patrick, Wagner.

Yes, he's listed as a RDE on the depth chart with Brockers on the other side. Joseph-Day has been the better player this year, but one has to wonder if it is because of the attention Brockers draws. We can agree that the interior of their DL is the issue, but I worry we may sacrifice too much attention to make someone on the outside look like a star.

That line is really good.  They're going to snuff our run game on lots of plays, and they're going to put the heat on Rodgers, too.  

But there are a lot of plays in a game, so it's kind of a numbers game.  If they are snuffing the majority of our 1st-down runs, and consistently hitting Rodgers on the majority of 2nd-and-long and 3rd-down passing snaps, it could be a long day.  

But I'm kinda hoping that although they'll get us sometimes, that we'll get them a lot of times too?  Rodgers makes 30 throws, gets sacked a couple of times and pressure on others, but is still getting 20 decent chances to throw OK?  having some of the designed rollout throws, and some of those work pretty well?  Packers run 25 runs, get snuffed on 5-10 of them, but maybe have 3-5 of them that are very productive, and a dozen more that are your average 3-5 yard do-no-harm runs?  

Need to convert on enough of the decent-opportunity plays.  

I'll maintain that our best OL right now, today, is Turner, Jenkins, Lindsley, Patrick and Wagner.

If those guys are healthy enough to play, they should play.

The point is well taken that the Rams have a great DL.  We should match that with our best available o-line.  And that should include a lot of Lewis when Donald is playing end.